300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD starting salaries...

Hello all, I'm new and thinking that in a few months I'll be applying to become of you guys. Currently, I'm a defense contractor teaching soldiers various skills such as encryption techniques etc. I will be taking a major hit on my paycheck to be a cop but I know I'll be a lot more satisfied in life overall by serving my community.

I have a question about salary negotiations!

I'm 34, have 2 Bachelors in Political Science and English. I have experience as an Army Instructor and curious what I should ask for at 34 years old if/when the moment comes. The PD here is offering this at the website:

33k - 58k is the salary range offered. 58k is probably just for lateral and trained LEO's? Should I be looking at 45-50k with no LEO experience? I may have to think twice about anything under 45k just because I have a mortgage and a home I want to stay in. I don't want to sound selfish with salary requirements but I am curious what you guys say about how I should approach this. I just can't do go in at the min 33k because I'll just go bankrupt with current bills but I do want to serve the community! If I were 22 again and fresh out of college, I'd kill for 33k. Just that over the years... you know how it goes!

EDITED for clarity..

Well the short answer is that it really depends on the department.

The not so short answer is that most departments will pay you more if you have prior law enforcement experience. Smaller departments are more likely to negotiate based on your quals but larger departments try to play by the same playbook (unless your a transfer in). Either way it won't be as much as you would expect. If they say 35K to 50K you won't see 50K. Maybe 38-40K but again it depends on the department. In my department if you are coming in as a rookie and having to go to the academy you would start out the same as everyone else. You will get a little extra for education but that's about it.

The best, and most accurate answers will come directly from the department you are looking at.

Comment

Thanks, I was almost expecting that but didn't want to hear it lol. I am probably looking at the bottom end of 33-35k since I have not been to the academy etc. In which case, I will probably find a way to make this happen (ie make the wife get a job lol).

Something's calling me. At this point in my life, I have temperance, patience, and really want to help and serve this community. And on the selfish end, I really want the job satisfaction.

Comment

i doubt if yr going to negotiate a salary up grade w/o experience
        and that is their police, from what ya wrote they start at 35,000 and after
        you do their pay step , you end up at 58,000.

your degree's are great, but only may be good if the state or agency
        has a slary incentive for education.

in fla...a b.s. degree is worth 80 buck a month extra

or take 320 class room hrs of approved class and joe blow gets

the same money,
        " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
        " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

We pay officers in training (academy) 45K and when you graduate you go to 48K after 2 years you are at 62K. Cleveland, Ohio area
          Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

nothing to see here
            Last edited by olnacl; 05-18-2006, 03:41 PM.

Comment

See www.policepay.net.

Comment

Ahh I wouldnt mention pay at all during the interview... I do a lot of hiring myself for my company. Thanks for all the useful information. I now realize that I better be willing to accept the low end of pay if I'm offered a slot. The wife and I have some budgeting to do perhaps

Comment

Originally posted by dusk884
                  Hello all, I'm new and thinking that in a few months I'll be applying to become of you guys. Currently, I'm a defense contractor teaching soldiers various skills such as encryption techniques etc. I will be taking a major hit on my paycheck to be a cop but I know I'll be a lot more satisfied in life overall by serving my community.

I have a question about salary negotiations!

I'm 34, have 2 Bachelors in Political Science and English. I have experience as an Army Instructor and curious what I should ask for at 34 years old if/when the moment comes. The PD here is offering this at the website:

33k - 58k is the salary range offered. 58k is probably just for lateral and trained LEO's? Should I be looking at 45-50k with no LEO experience? I may have to think twice about anything under 45k just because I have a mortgage and a home I want to stay in. I don't want to sound selfish with salary requirements but I am curious what you guys say about how I should approach this. I just can't do go in at the min 33k because I'll just go bankrupt with current bills but I do want to serve the community! If I were 22 again and fresh out of college, I'd kill for 33k. Just that over the years... you know how it goes!

EDITED for clarity..
                  No where near enough! I think the only time I feel like I am getting paid what we are worth is on a holiday working overtime.
                  Anyone who believes "the customer is always right" has never been a police officer.

Comment

My department (North Slope Borough Police in Alaska) starts at $30.64 per hour for no experience, $32 with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by dusk884
                      I now realize that I better be willing to accept the low end of pay if I'm offered a slot. The wife and I have some budgeting to do perhaps
                      During my academy my take home pay after taxes and health ins was $589 every two weeks. There's no way in hell most people would take a pay cut like that for 6 months.

It all comes down to desire.
                      Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

i must be in the wrong state, in oklahoma there is no negotiations, if you start a pd, you get what they pay a starting officer, and go up the scale. even if you are a 12 yr sgt, and you go to a new dept. you start at the bottom, you can skip the academy pay, depending on whether or not the dept. has their own academy, but thats about it.

Comment

During my academy my take home pay after taxes and health ins was $589 every two weeks. There's no way in hell most people would take a pay cut like that for 6 months.
                          Jeezus...

I hope that wasn't in the last 10 years? That won't pay for the mortgage if I used every penny. I'm willing to budget but I have kids to feed, too.

Comment

Originally posted by SinePari

It all comes down to desire.
                            when i started their was no academy pay,( you got paid in the academy, but it was $ 5.37 certified or not
                            you started at $5.37 a hour til the next budget, then ya got 5% raise
                            this was ata time when the guys up north in just about every union occupation, police, fire, steel mill ,railroader, sanitation,was getting 12, 13 a hour

my 1st 2 week take home....$378.....yes it sucked.....
                            but we in fla pay the sun-shine tax....
                            Last edited by ftlaudcop; 08-03-2005, 12:45 PM.
                            " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                            " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Starting salary at my local PD is around $22,000/year uncertified you get a couple thousand more a year after you get through the academy. They pay you while in the academy just like you were on the street.

22K per year isn't too bad for S. Arkansas, the cost of living is pretty cheap (except gas, it's high everywhere). Anyway, a state tooper for Arkansas starts out at only $23k and some change per year...it's on their website. My mortgage on a 5 year old 3 br, 2 ba house about 2200 sq feet nome on a corner lot in a great neighborhood is only $300 per month. My house is very nice, I'm not bragging just descibing the situation. I am greatful for everything I have. But the price isn't bad when you consider the fact that wouldn't even pay half the rent for a month in some places. It just depends on your geographic location as to what the PD will pay sometimes. Currently, I am with the FD and they only pay $17,500/year (no joke) I have 2 other jobs on my off days to help pay bills which sucks sometimes. Yes, I could probably go to work for Wal-Mart and make more, I actually made a fine living working construction before the FD. But I chose this route and am currently trying to get hired on with the PD, not just for the pay but because I have a desire to be an LEO. I live comfortably, I have groceries, my wife and I both drive new vehicles and have a nice home. Our kids are fed and clothed etc. Making a living here is easier than in a lot of places in the country.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5258 users online. 298 members and 4960 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X