Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do LEO's get a discount on their weapon?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do LEO's get a discount on their weapon?

Do LEO's get a discount when buying a hangun? I applied at my local agency today and feel pretty confident in my getting hired, although nothing is for certain. Anyway, they require their officers to buy their own service weapon and I was just curious what kind of price range I'd be looking at for a Glock 22 with or without a discount. I don't want a used gun. Not really set on Glock either but would like around the same price range as a Glock (heard they are cheaper than some and still good quality).

Ask around with the other officers, usually a couple guys have FFL's and will be able to hook you up. Glock is usually the cheapest service weapon you can buy but you might try a few out and pay a little more for better quality.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Thanks, a few more questions.

I have been around guns since I was a kid, hunting and skeet shooting etc. I've don't have much experience with handguns though. What does "S & W" stand for in .40 S & W? I've seen this in many makes, browning, ruger, sig, etc.

Can someone explain what the differences are in the following and which is best for LE.

Manual Safety Pistols,
      Decocker Pistols,
      Double-Action-Only Pistols

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Smith & Wesson, they designed the cartridge and put their name on it. Basically it is a 10mm short. They'll teach you all you need to know in the academy and the Glock will serve you fine if you go that way.

Best for LE is very subjective and none of the terms you mention apply to the Glock.

Manual safety is just like the safety on your long guns. Decocker is just a safe way to drop the hammer and DAO means you don't have eaither and you get the same long stiff trigger for every shot. The HK USP in variant 1 & 2 has both a decocker and a safety, 3 & 4 have decocker, no safety and I believe 5 is a DAO (could be mistaken on that last one.) I'll probably be converting my HK from a variant 1 to a variant 3 here shortly.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I haven't really looked at the HK models. I really like the looks of them over the GLOCKS, especially the P2000. What is the average sale price of that model gun (.40 caliber)?

Comment

Dunno what they cost nowadays, I bought my USP 45 when they 1st came out back in the 90's. I do know that I have over 100k rounds through it and have only had to change the springs. It is one tough gun. Glocks tend to wear out a bit quicker in 40 cal as it is built for 9mm but should give you years of flawless service never the less.

Comment

Don't buy a gun on the way it looks, buy it on the way it shoots and fits you. If you want a good looking gun then buy a Colt 1911A1 for target shooting!

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                If you want a good looking gun then buy a Colt 1911A1 for target shooting!

Yeah A weapon that has been in military holsters since 1913 and seen more combat than ANY weapon in the military arsenal in our history. Worthless as combat weapon From WWI to today the 1911 has been serving and doing so better than any sidearm in military service worldwide.
                Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Keep in mind, some departments may regulate what you can carry. Up until a couple years ago, my agency mandated only 9mm S&W would be carried. No Glocks, etc.

Recently, they have allowed Glock's & Berretas to be carried and many officers have switched. Our agency has a City / Pay plan, where the city will purchase the firearm and then deduct whatever you want out of your bi-weekly paycheck. Of course, they do orders once a year, so they order in bulk and probably get discounts.

Comment

Guess I peed in your wheaties there. I carried the 1911 in the Navy, love the weapon but fact is, most dept's won't allow it. I was just commenting on it being a good looking weapon. I rather hated switching to the M9 while I was in as it isn't half the gun the 1911 is. Heck, I chose the HK due to it's similar operation to the 1911.

Originally posted by 6233108

Yeah A weapon that has been in military holsters since 1913 and seen more combat than ANY weapon in the military arsenal in our history. Worthless as combat weapon From WWI to today the 1911 has been serving and doing so better than any sidearm in military service worldwide.

Comment

First off, I hope I am not out of line posting here as I am not an officer, but I feel I can help answer some of this person's questions as I own every gun mentioned in this thread so far

1) Most manufacturers do give a discount to LEO, although different manufacturers have different ways of handling this (Sometimes they have to be ordered by the department, or sometimes proof of LEO status is enough)

2) Here's my thoughts on specific guns that have been mentioned

a) Glock 22: I carry a Glock 22 (.40S&W, Compensated) every day and I shoot with it once or twice a week, it eats anything I feed it, and always hits where I point it. It took me a while to get used to the "extreme" grip angle of the gun but once you get comfortable with a glock, you will like it very much, and it will not let you down. I trust my life to it anyway. Price: $500+ new (Civilian)

b) Heckler & Koch USP/P2000: Amazing guns, highly reliable, I carried a HK USP 9mm (Compact) for many months and shoot with it regularly, now it "belongs" to my girlfriend who loves it even more than I did. The only complaint I have with the HK handguns is that they are very light, because of that they recoil a bit more than heavier guns in my experience, I would suggest a USP over a P2000 personally.. Regardless I would still trust my life to an HK. Price: $800+ new (Civilian)

c) 1911 Variant: It was made in 1911, they carried it in WW1, WW2, and they're still making them today, enough said? Seriously though this is an amazing gun. I own a Colt Commander 1911 and it's the most "solid" feeling gun I own, when you have a 1911 in your hand, you can tell it's a beast. The stopping power of the .45 is superior for obvious reasons, however the recoil is equally greater so follow-up shots are slightly more difficult. One of my favorite features of the 1911 is it's slim profile, but that is a trade-off with magazine capacity as my 1911 will only hold 8+1 rounds, whereas my glock will hold 15. Regardless, I would trust my life to this gun. Price: Varies, $500-1500+ new (Civilian, depends on manufacturer/customization)

Finally I noticed you mentioned Sig Sauer, a manufacturer which I would also highly recommend. My favorite gun I own of all time is my Sig P226 in .40S&W, the only reason I do not carry it anymore and have moved to my Glock 22 is because it is a very thick gun that I can not easily conceal during the summer months which would not be a problem for you as you don't have to conceal it. In all my shooting the Sig P226 was by far the most accurate handgun I've ever shot, I could put 100 rounds through the same 1" hole at 20' with it over and over, a feat which I still can not accomplish with my Glock (close though).

One thing to keep in mind is that this is MY experience with these firearms, yours may be completely different. My suggestion to you is to find a shooting range that lets you rent handguns and each day get 1 gun you're interested in, 200 rounds of ammunition and see what feels and shoots best for you.

I hope my advice as helped you and wish you the best of luck as an LEO, I also thank you for your service.

Comment

We give you a FREE gun. No cash out lay & when you retire you get to keep the thing for a small fee.
                        That's the best discount there is.
                        So don't buy one to carry on duty they will issue one.

Most gun stores our area give 5% to 10% on handguns for leo. More on some accessories.

Comment

The gun store in my little 'ol town gives discounts on weapons once you are hired by the dept but not before.

I recently bought a Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry .45 for my BUG, and what an amazing gun! I have never been happier with a handgun before and I own many. Unfortunately I am not thrilled with my duty weapon, but at least it is still a 1911.
                          When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

All the places I have done business with in CA gave a 10% or larger discount to LE. I carried the Colt Gold Cup 45 acp in patrol & was very happy with it. In my vice gig I carry the Glock 21 & Glock 30 45 ACP's. I shoot the same scores with the Colt & Glock 21.

Comment

some departments issue you a gun, some reimburse you, some, like mine, require you to buy your own (but they issue you EVERYTHING else).

Some local gun shops will give you a small discount. Your department may deal with a distributor that will give a substantial discount (Gulf States Distributors sells glocks for around $400 I think, as opposed to the $500 you may pay in a local store).

I just bought an HK USP .40 compact, night sights and 3 mags for $510 from a distributor. This would have cost me $850 in a store. The company only sells to LEO's so I had to fax some department letterhead to him.

So there can be some great deals to be found, you just have to look for them.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4816 users online. 293 members and 4523 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X