Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Ride-Alongs and Reserve Police (Philadelphia Officers specifically)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Ride-Alongs and Reserve Police (Philadelphia Officers specifically)

Hello all,

First off I'd like to thank you all for your service to our communities every day, I have an immense amount of respect for the sacrifices you all make and the services you provide. I'd also like to thank you in advance for taking the time out of your busy lives to answer questions from people like myself on this forum, I've read other threads in the past and learned a great deal.

Now for the good stuff...

Here's my story: I am a 23 year-old computer programmer with a bachelors degree from a 4-year college. I love what I do but for quite a while I've had the feeling I want to do something with my life that is more "important". I've been considering 3 lines of work lately, those being Law Enforcement, Intelligence (CIA, NSA), or Military (specifically the Marines).

Here's my question to you guys: Due to the fact that I already have a career, I do not feel I have the luxury of just dropping everything and becoming a cop on a whim so I am curious about any ways I could possibly get a better idea in advance if it is something I could see myself doing.

One option I figured would be to go on a ride-along with active officers and see what their day to day lives are like and the other option I researched was that some cities have a sort of "Reserve Officer" program in which people like myself can work part-time in various positions (sometimes acting as a fully-qualified officer). Do you guys have any experience with this, and would it be a good way to accomplish what I want?

Also, for the purpose of ride-alongs and reserve officer positions, I would love to get some first-hand information from any Philadelphia Officers out there as that is where I live. I searched on the Philadelphia Police Department website but could not find any information on a reserve program in our city.

Once again thank you all for your time, and your service,
    Daniel

Dan,

Ride-a-longs is a GREAT way to find out whether you would like it or not, barring Philly has such programs. Also, I know personally, some reserves that have great full time jobs and only reserve to fullfill that need they have to be in law enforcement. If you are serious, I would check into both options.
    If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

hi dave in utah

Comment

Originally posted by jan
        hi dave in utah

hi Jan....
        If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

bye dave, got to go see u tomorrow!

Comment

Philly pd allows ride alongs however its up to the individual district to allow the ride along. Even then the District commander (lt.) or Sgt. can limit the ride along in time. I was an explorer in Philadelphia and can tell you that the city no longer has a reserve unit.

There are no reserve police positions in the Philadelphia area. There are auxilary police who have no police authority and direct parking and traffic at high school games in the burbs or part time police officers who are academy trained and certified by the state however they generally do not get any benefits.
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2868 users online. 135 members and 2733 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X