Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rpd1794
    replied
    I think my favorite part of this job is (usually) the beggining of the tour. When you get in the car, log on the mdt, and ride down the ramp leaving the precinct, every night is different. It's kind of like going to the same amusement park every day but they always have new rides....you're never quite sure what the night will bring, as opposed to being stuck in an office cubicle somewhere doing the same crap, day in, day out.

The worst is a toss up, and it's been described here in depth, but it's dealing with injured children and not being able to make it better immediately, or having to make death notifications. Having done crash reconstruction for years, I've had to make countless death notifications. Nothing will knot up my stomach or make me wish I was in a different line of work more then having to go to someone's home and tell them that their father/mother/child won't be coming back.That is the absolute worst feeling there is, and nothing they teach you in the academy will prepare you for it.

Leave a comment:

• webjeep
    replied
    Favorite... Well, there are lots of good points to the job, but knowing that you have really made a positive difference in someone's life is probably the best. I went to a call the other day at the home of a former crackhead. Her kids had done something stupid and she was taking care of business. While we were talking to the kids she looked at them and then at me and told them that I was one of the good ones and that they had better listen to me. She elaborated by telling them the story of the last time I kicked in the door to her house and hooked her boyfriend for distribution and after dragging her out from under the bed my conversation with her. The conversation was basically an attempt to help her see the err of her ways and to encourage her to get off the pipe and off her *** and start doing something with her life if for no other reason for her kids. She went on to say that since she got out of jail for that night she has been clean, got a job, got her own house, and got her kids back. Every time that she has thought of doing something she thinks back to that night where my partner and I talked with her for an hour and she draws the strength that she needs to fight the temptation. It was a nice and rare occurence to see someone who had come clean and to know that I was an influencing factor in that.

The worst... rude people, directing traffic (hand in hand)

-web

Leave a comment:

• USP45FAN
    replied
    Least Favorite: Directing Traffic, I had a guy stop in the middle of the intersection to argue with me because he didn't like how I was directing traffic WTF. And guys who were off duty would be 25 cars back in the stopped lane hitting their horns, I was ****ed until I found out who was doing it.

Favorite: I don't really have a favorite, but I don't mind screwing with the dopers.

Leave a comment:

• hunttx19
    replied
    Originally posted by McPhenius
    As someone who sits on oral boards, this is a question we ask.
    I've got a question for you Mcphenius. Can you relay any outstanding answers you've heard that really make an applicant stand out? Advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• cst.sb
    replied
    Originally posted by jakflak
    Favorite thing: lighting flares.

Least favorite thing: dealing with administration.
    That flare thing cracks me up!!!

Favorite thing: Walking back to the car after a call smiling (for 1000 different reasons)

Least favorite: ANYTHING to do with a victimized child. From the 4yr old being left at home all day alone, to a sudden death.

Leave a comment:

• Ballen0351
    replied
    Its a good answer I believe I even used it but it gets really old after sitting all day on a board listening to 20 to 25 people give the same answer.

I have had some very bad answers however. Never say "Cause I want to carry a gun" or "Cause I am tired of getting speeding Tickets and I heard cops dont right cops tickets" Both are real answers I got while sitting on a board.
    Last edited by Ballen0351; 08-02-2005, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FutureLE
    replied
    [QUOTE=Ballen0351]
    As someone who sits on oral boards, this is a question we ask. This is something I also addressed in my e-Book.

Having sat on a few boards my self dont you ever get tired of hearing "I want to be a cop so I can help people" We did a board oneday and the first ten gave that same answer every single one. So we wrote in Hugh letters on the board behind us "DONT SAY YOU WANT TO HELP PEOPLE THINK DEEPER THEN THAT" The last ten must not have seen it because every single one of them also gave old stand by "I just want to help people"

Any responses that sounded really good to you?

Leave a comment:

• Ballen0351
    replied
    [QUOTE=McPhenius]As someone who sits on oral boards, this is a question we ask. This is something I also addressed in my e-Book.

Having sat on a few boards my self dont you ever get tired of hearing "I want to be a cop so I can help people" We did a board oneday and the first ten gave that same answer every single one. So we wrote in Hugh letters on the board behind us "DONT SAY YOU WANT TO HELP PEOPLE THINK DEEPER THEN THAT" The last ten must not have seen it because every single one of them also gave old stand by "I just want to help people"

Leave a comment:

• jakflak
    replied
    Favorite thing: lighting flares.

Least favorite thing: dealing with administration.

Leave a comment:

• FutureLE
    replied
    For me, the least thing is having to notify a family that they lost a child in a tragic accident. Coming from personal experience, I don't think I've ever done anything harder. Coming in a close second was doing CPR on a 3 year old who was found in a lake and not being able to revive him.
    That would definetly be tough.

Leave a comment:

• McPhenius
    replied
    As someone who sits on oral boards, this is a question we ask. This is something I also addressed in my e-Book.

Best thing, can be anything positive. Helping someone out, satisfaction of knowing you made a difference. You may get a interviewer follow it up with "tell us from your heart." In other words, not the standard TV or textbook definition.

Least thing... I was kind of caught off guard when a candidate just last week said, "working midnight shift and not having weekends off." He was honest at least, but the reality was going to be different. He would undoubtedly be working midnights and weekends at some point during his rookie time.

For me, the least thing is having to notify a family that they lost a child in a tragic accident. Coming from personal experience, I don't think I've ever done anything harder. Coming in a close second was doing CPR on a 3 year old who was found in a lake and not being able to revive him.

Leave a comment:

• Ballen0351
    replied
    The thing that plucks my nerves more then anything Is when your on the Highway directing traffic at an accident or something. You always get the people that want to stop and ask you directions. Hello I am a little busy here

I like finding dope interdiction stops are alot of fun.

Leave a comment:

• K9 Police
    replied
    Favorite - Your squad car - being able to go where you want to go and do what you want to do. Minimal supervision

Least Favorite - DOA's, or dead people.

K9

Leave a comment:

• safetyobc
    replied
    Originally posted by Celtic16
    me too because my girlfriend is on to me all the time about going for a job with better money, but its a dream for me to become an officer, so it's worth the lesser money i will make to live my dream.
    My wife is one of the best women in the world. She has always supported me in anything I do, no matter the pay. She is a paralegal and makes almost $10k more than me a year. I am applying for a LEO's position at my local PD today which if I get it would give me a raise of $4000 to $6000/year (not counting overtime) from my fire dept. job. When I took the FD job, I took a pay cut of $12k per year. We have had to sacrifice many things, but we don't do without. She is a great woman, and has never complained, not even when money gets tight, she just says, "Don't worry, we'll make it." She did tell me if I got the PD job she would be looking forward to the extra money.

Leave a comment:

• Celtic16
    replied
    Originally posted by FutureLE
    Interesting you say this, because I will be giving up a much better paying job if I get hired-- Glad to see someone say this

me too because my girlfriend is on to me all the time about going for a job with better money, but its a dream for me to become an officer, so it's worth the lesser money i will make to live my dream.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4786 users online. 260 members and 4526 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X