Clear All

• Favorite/least favorite?

Just out of curiousity for you current LE Officers--

If you had to pick only 1 thing for these question--

What is your favorite part/aspect/duty of the job? ex-helping people

What is your least favorite part/aspect/duty of the job? ex-hours

Thanks

Favorite: Paycheck.

Least Favorite: Dealing with drunks, druggies, crazies, and stupid people. I know you said one thing, but I lump them all together.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Favorite: Getting to help someone that is very happy to get help. It just makes you glad you do what you do.

Least Favorite: The paycheck. heh.. I used to work in IT, and am used to a much larger check. However, quality of life has increased dramatically and has outweighed the extra $$ I used to recieve.

Comment

Originally posted by horne80
        Least Favorite: The paycheck. heh.. I used to work in IT, and am used to a much larger check. However, quality of life has increased dramatically and has outweighed the extra $$ I used to recieve.
        Interesting you say this, because I will be giving up a much better paying job if I get hired-- Glad to see someone say this

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLE
          Interesting you say this, because I will be giving up a much better paying job if I get hired-- Glad to see someone say this

me too because my girlfriend is on to me all the time about going for a job with better money, but its a dream for me to become an officer, so it's worth the lesser money i will make to live my dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic16
            me too because my girlfriend is on to me all the time about going for a job with better money, but its a dream for me to become an officer, so it's worth the lesser money i will make to live my dream.
            My wife is one of the best women in the world. She has always supported me in anything I do, no matter the pay. She is a paralegal and makes almost $10k more than me a year. I am applying for a LEO's position at my local PD today which if I get it would give me a raise of $4000 to $6000/year (not counting overtime) from my fire dept. job. When I took the FD job, I took a pay cut of $12k per year. We have had to sacrifice many things, but we don't do without. She is a great woman, and has never complained, not even when money gets tight, she just says, "Don't worry, we'll make it." She did tell me if I got the PD job she would be looking forward to the extra money.

Comment

Favorite - Your squad car - being able to go where you want to go and do what you want to do. Minimal supervision

Least Favorite - DOA's, or dead people.

K9

Comment

The thing that plucks my nerves more then anything Is when your on the Highway directing traffic at an accident or something. You always get the people that want to stop and ask you directions. Hello I am a little busy here

I like finding dope interdiction stops are alot of fun.
                Quick throw me your cuffs I already used all of mine
                Come here Slick Im not done with you yet

Comment

As someone who sits on oral boards, this is a question we ask. This is something I also addressed in my e-Book.

Best thing, can be anything positive. Helping someone out, satisfaction of knowing you made a difference. You may get a interviewer follow it up with "tell us from your heart." In other words, not the standard TV or textbook definition.

Least thing... I was kind of caught off guard when a candidate just last week said, "working midnight shift and not having weekends off." He was honest at least, but the reality was going to be different. He would undoubtedly be working midnights and weekends at some point during his rookie time.

For me, the least thing is having to notify a family that they lost a child in a tragic accident. Coming from personal experience, I don't think I've ever done anything harder. Coming in a close second was doing CPR on a 3 year old who was found in a lake and not being able to revive him.

Comment

Originally posted by McPhenius
                    For me, the least thing is having to notify a family that they lost a child in a tragic accident. Coming from personal experience, I don't think I've ever done anything harder. Coming in a close second was doing CPR on a 3 year old who was found in a lake and not being able to revive him.
                    That would definetly be tough.

Comment

Favorite thing: lighting flares.

Least favorite thing: dealing with administration.

Comment

[QUOTE=McPhenius]As someone who sits on oral boards, this is a question we ask. This is something I also addressed in my e-Book.

Having sat on a few boards my self dont you ever get tired of hearing "I want to be a cop so I can help people" We did a board oneday and the first ten gave that same answer every single one. So we wrote in Hugh letters on the board behind us "DONT SAY YOU WANT TO HELP PEOPLE THINK DEEPER THEN THAT" The last ten must not have seen it because every single one of them also gave old stand by "I just want to help people"

Comment

[QUOTE=Ballen0351]
                          Originally posted by McPhenius
                          As someone who sits on oral boards, this is a question we ask. This is something I also addressed in my e-Book.

Having sat on a few boards my self dont you ever get tired of hearing "I want to be a cop so I can help people" We did a board oneday and the first ten gave that same answer every single one. So we wrote in Hugh letters on the board behind us "DONT SAY YOU WANT TO HELP PEOPLE THINK DEEPER THEN THAT" The last ten must not have seen it because every single one of them also gave old stand by "I just want to help people"

Any responses that sounded really good to you?

Comment

Its a good answer I believe I even used it but it gets really old after sitting all day on a board listening to 20 to 25 people give the same answer.

I have had some very bad answers however. Never say "Cause I want to carry a gun" or "Cause I am tired of getting speeding Tickets and I heard cops dont right cops tickets" Both are real answers I got while sitting on a board.
                            Last edited by Ballen0351; 08-02-2005, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                              Favorite thing: lighting flares.

Least favorite thing: dealing with administration.
                              That flare thing cracks me up!!!

Favorite thing: Walking back to the car after a call smiling (for 1000 different reasons)

Least favorite: ANYTHING to do with a victimized child. From the 4yr old being left at home all day alone, to a sudden death.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4476 users online. 262 members and 4214 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X