Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? RE Sawed-Off Shotguns

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ? RE Sawed-Off Shotguns

    Shotgun in question has a barrel length of 18 1/4''. JUST the barrel.
    It has a non-folding stock, and no fore-end.

    I think i am correct in that if the barrel is over 18'' - it's legal.
    Is this a federal law? (if no, is it OK in the state of California?)

    Since this gun is so close to the 18'' limit - i wonder if an LEO would actually bother to measure it if found and/or are you required to? IE: A concern is transporting it, getting pulled over, letting the officer know there is a weapon in the car... and everything possibly going downhill from there...

    What say ye fine LEO's of O.com?

  • #2
    Sounds like a Remington 870 with a deer barrel.
    sawed off means just that one sawed off by the gun owner to an extremely short length

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by LovnTheFuzz
      Shotgun in question has a barrel length of 18 1/4''. JUST the barrel.
      It has a non-folding stock, and no fore-end.

      I think i am correct in that if the barrel is over 18'' - it's legal.
      Is this a federal law? (if no, is it OK in the state of California?)

      Since this gun is so close to the 18'' limit - i wonder if an LEO would actually bother to measure it if found and/or are you required to? IE: A concern is transporting it, getting pulled over, letting the officer know there is a weapon in the car... and everything possibly going downhill from there...

      What say ye fine LEO's of O.com?
      I believe the pertinent Federal law only applies if you are transporting the weapon across state line. The United States Code gives this definition:

      [I]18 USC 921(a)(6) The term
      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks Mobrien...

        [QUOTE]California does have a prohibition on short barreled shotguns. I was unable to find California

        Comment


        • #5
          CA is in line w/ Fed law when it comes to shotgun/rifle barrel length per PC 12020

          (2) As used in this section, a "short-barreled rifle" means any of
          the following:
          (A) A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in
          length.
          (B) A rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches.
          (C) Any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration,
          modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an
          overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less
          than 16 inches in length.

          (c) (1) As used in this section, a "short-barreled shotgun" means
          any of the following:
          (A) A firearm which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed
          shotgun shell and having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches
          in length.
          (B) A firearm which has an overall length of less than 26 inches
          and which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell.
          (C) Any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration,
          modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an
          overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less
          than 18 inches in length.

          If you want an easier version of CA law that is much simpler to read and look pertinent stuff up in then join my yahoo group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
          After you join go to the files and download "Learning Domains" where I have the bulk of my academy notes.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

          For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bodie
            Sounds like a Remington 870 with a deer barrel.
            sawed off means just that one sawed off by the gun owner to an extremely short length
            No, it's not a Rem; and i know.

            Originally posted by pkagel
            If you want an easier version of CA law that is much simpler to read and look pertinent stuff up in then join my yahoo group. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
            After you join go to the files and download "Learning Domains" where I have the bulk of my academy notes.
            Thankyou for the info! I will check that out. I guess it couldn't hurt to have a tape measure in the car if it's transported, just in case!

            BTW, the overall length is 36''
            So on both accounts, this gun seems to be within legal limits.

            Comment


            • #7
              Fo by pkagel's post. You can have a sawed off shotgun aslong as it meets those limits. Your 18 inch barrel is ok, but is the whole gun with the barrel attached under 26 inches? If so then it is illegal.

              Comment

              MR300x250 Tablet

              Collapse

              What's Going On

              Collapse

              There are currently 4849 users online. 293 members and 4556 guests.

              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

              Welcome Ad

              Collapse
              Working...
              X