300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial arts

Thought of this in another thread, but I think it would be alright to create a new thread for it.

Would having learned a martial art be helpful towards your resume for law enforcement?

The discpline taught in some arts is great but the skills learned in a combintaion is better. In this carrer you do very little fighting. It is more take down and restrain and secure. But nothing wrong with a belt or two to help with your mental skills.

Comment

Echo that. IMO police officers primary function in soceity is a warrior. As a warrior, you need to have the proper training and discipline to handle yourself on the streets. Academy training is nice, but it only gets you started on what you need to know. And every item on your duty belt can be dropped, lost, or taken away from you in a fight.

Like my old Drill Sergeant used to say: "I can't make you do it. But I sure as hell can suggest the **** out of it!"
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Warrior

I am a WARRIOR. I am the baddest MF in the valley and all that I see is MINE.
        I will fight to WIN and I will win no matter the carnage or suffering of the enemy.

The STREETS are mine and I decide if you live on my streets.

Street Pink : What If I Hit You ?
        Officer : You will NEVER do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
          I am a WARRIOR. I am the baddest MF in the valley and all that I see is MINE.
          I will fight to WIN and I will win no matter the carnage or suffering of the enemy.

The STREETS are mine and I decide if you live on my streets.

Street Pink : What If I Hit You ?
          Officer : You will NEVER do it again.
          Those that don't understand what Bodie means here need not seek a career in law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
            Those that don't understand what Bodie means here need not seek a career in law enforcement.
            *Snaps fingers* Shoot. There go my dreams...

P.S. I wish I knew what it was from. Damnit google! Why?!?

EDIT: Heh...went off on a bit of a tangent there and forgot what I was actually going to ask. Now...there are certain martial arts that train you to react without thinking. Obviously as an officer you have a responsibility to control how you choose to respond to situations and I understand that. But say for example a suspect comes at you unexpectedly and you react with that martial art (i.e. Wing Chun), what would happen? Let's say you were to break his leg, nose, etc...lol.

This has been perplexing me for a bit...any comments would be appreciated, thanks.
            Last edited by Reverie; 08-08-2005, 01:38 AM.
            "Ive realized that firing people gives you a good buzz, but its a poor substitute for killing."

Comment

I was also wondering, would make your resume look any better?

Comment

Originally posted by Reverie
                *Snaps fingers* Shoot. There go my dreams...
                Sorry to hear it, but don't worry- there are plenty of better jobs out there. If you were being sarcastic, don't. If you are not prepared to have the warrior mindset, don't put yourself and other officers at risk by being a warrior in name only.

Originally posted by HartleyVU
                I was also wondering, would make your resume look any better?
                *shrugs* Wouldn't hurt. But don't take it because of a resume. You need to take it for more personal (or in my case, spiritual) reasons.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5509 users online. 307 members and 5202 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X