Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about becoming an officer(any RCMP answers would be great, but all help)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about becoming an officer(any RCMP answers would be great, but all help)

Hi guys. I am 17 years old and a few months back i was in a car accident, not very bad, noone hurt, but it was over $1000 damage and i was given a very large ticket for driving with undue care. I live in Canada and REALLY want to become a police officer, I want to join the RCMP as soon as i finish my degree. but I know you need a clean driving record to be a cop, I am wondering if this will affect my chances, keeping in mind that that is the only ticket i have ever had, and I do not plan on getting any more or having any driving infractions. thanks alot

It might be worthwhile to talk to a lawyer about the ticket, unless you feel you deserved it. For information about joining the RCMP you might find the forum at www.blueline.ca helpful.

As far as the ticket affecting your chances of becoming a police officer goes, you're only 17 now. Realistically, you are looking at a minimum of five years from now before you would get hired by a police force. That isn't because of the ticket. The average age for RCMP recruits these days is 27.
    Last edited by KL; 07-29-2005, 08:45 PM.

Comment

It's too bad you had the police handle it. I got in an accident last monday and we just exchanged insurance information.

Comment

Accidents with more than $1000 damage have to be investigated by the police in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by len173
          Hi guys. I am 17 years old and a few months back i was in a car accident, not very bad, noone hurt, but it was over $1000 damage and i was given a very large ticket for driving with undue care. I live in Canada and REALLY want to become a police officer, I want to join the RCMP as soon as i finish my degree. but I know you need a clean driving record to be a cop, I am wondering if this will affect my chances, keeping in mind that that is the only ticket i have ever had, and I do not plan on getting any more or having any driving infractions. thanks alot
          Good luck to you!

The ticket was the bigone! It is an easy one to charge someone with if. Now not to talk "out of school" here but sometimes we write a ticket at anaccidents because someone is at obviously at fault, if you don't sometimes you get sent out to serve one later, which is a real pain in the ***.

Now that being said, if it's not to late you can dispute it. However!!!!!! A core value of the RCMP is accountability, so dispute it and plead guilty. That way you can explain you made a mistake, but you would like a reduction, or time to pay it. The JP can be give up to a year to pay it off. If the member doesn't show, and you get off on the ticket and it pops up in your interview that you disputed the ticket and got off on it. You tell the interviewer exactly why you disputed it, because of the reasons I mentioned above.

Another thing, you're 17 and living in BC. If you are from BC and living in the lower mainland it's going to take you at least 5 years, but probably closer to 10 years to get in. In the big city there are more applicants, more education, more work and life experience, so work hard, go to school and vollunteer.

Here is some sugestions for you once you:

- Get a part time job now if you don't have one. You can still go to school and work in a movie theatre, etc

- Work towards getting better jobs and jobs with some level of responsibility and customer service.

- when you grad BCIT has an excellent part time Leadership program. (Hmm, leadership a RCMP core competency)

- Vollunteer at a community police office, because you'll get exposed to some of the paperwork.

- Vollunteer in a non-police area - make-a-wish, get a team together and do the MS bike relay every year, be a vollunteer counsellor with sunshine dreams for kids, or a "lions" or "burn" camp.

- Travel

- Have relationships

- Round yourself out and just be a decent human being, so when the interviewer is sitting across the desk from you, he or she will be thinking, "Hey, this is a great guy, I'd want to work with him."

So there you have it, I've given you a road map. The sooner you start, the sooner it will happen for you. And if you change your mind along the way, everything I mentioned above will help you out and make you a better person for whatever you want to do in life.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to PM me if you have more questions

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb
            Good luck to you!

The ticket was the bigone! It is an easy one to charge someone with if. Now not to talk "out of school" here but sometimes we write a ticket at anaccidents because someone is at obviously at fault, if you don't sometimes you get sent out to serve one later, which is a real pain in the ***.

Now that being said, if it's not to late you can dispute it. However!!!!!! A core value of the RCMP is accountability, so dispute it and plead guilty. That way you can explain you made a mistake, but you would like a reduction, or time to pay it. The JP can be give up to a year to pay it off. If the member doesn't show, and you get off on the ticket and it pops up in your interview that you disputed the ticket and got off on it. You tell the interviewer exactly why you disputed it, because of the reasons I mentioned above.

Another thing, you're 17 and living in BC. If you are from BC and living in the lower mainland it's going to take you at least 5 years, but probably closer to 10 years to get in. In the big city there are more applicants, more education, more work and life experience, so work hard, go to school and vollunteer.

Here is some sugestions for you once you:

- Get a part time job now if you don't have one. You can still go to school and work in a movie theatre, etc

- Work towards getting better jobs and jobs with some level of responsibility and customer service.

- when you grad BCIT has an excellent part time Leadership program. (Hmm, leadership a RCMP core competency)

- Vollunteer at a community police office, because you'll get exposed to some of the paperwork.

- Vollunteer in a non-police area - make-a-wish, get a team together and do the MS bike relay every year, be a vollunteer counsellor with sunshine dreams for kids, or a "lions" or "burn" camp.

- Travel

- Have relationships

- Round yourself out and just be a decent human being, so when the interviewer is sitting across the desk from you, he or she will be thinking, "Hey, this is a great guy, I'd want to work with him."

So there you have it, I've given you a road map. The sooner you start, the sooner it will happen for you. And if you change your mind along the way, everything I mentioned above will help you out and make you a better person for whatever you want to do in life.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to PM me if you have more questions

Hey thanks cst.sb, thats actually quite inspiring to be honest

Comment

If it's any consolation to you...couple of thoughts....

if the ticket is paid within 30 days you get $25 off....

I got a speeding ticket 3 days before I was sworn in....

consider appplying for an Aux. position when you get a bit older. I did 9 years as an Aux. Cst before I started full time. Lets you "try the job out" before making the commitment.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4791 users online. 270 members and 4521 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X