300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for the troopers: assault rifles

My friend's dad is a VA state trooper and he was issued an assault rifle as part of the new security after 9-11. I was just wondering when this would be used and if it can be used in any case that an officer's side arm can be used. i.e. if i an officer's life is threatened.

Originally posted by Josh
    My friend's dad is a VA state trooper and he was issued an assault rifle as part of the new security after 9-11. I was just wondering when this would be used and if it can be used in any case that an officer's side arm can be used. i.e. if i an officer's life is threatened.
    Personally, I dislike the term "assault rifle." I tend to associate it with the media and politicians who believe that if we could outlaw guns then we'd get rid of crime.

Anyway, the idea behind a patrol rifle is that the rifle is such a superior weapon to the pistol that it should be used whenever possible. It is superior in every situation - you are never putting an officer at a disadvantage by arming him with a rifle.

Police officers carry pistols because they are easier and more convenient to carry. In the event of sudden violence, having a pistol is certainly better than having nothing at all. But a rifle is so superior that it should be the weapon of choice from arm's length all the way out to 300+ yards.

The pistol is for all those occasions when you think you won't need a gun. If you think you are going to need a gun - bring a rifle.
    Last edited by mobrien316; 07-28-2005, 10:07 PM.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Yeah, I'd definetly hate to be a criminal and get an automatic weapon pulled on me. Thanks for the input!

Comment

We carry both rifle and shotgun in the vehicle. We are free to use them in any situation that would require a firearm. A rifle is a great tool, don't leave home without one. The shotgun still has a good "OH SH1T!" factor but it can't reach out and touch someone like a rifle can.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5794 users online. 332 members and 5462 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X