300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In case of a National Emergecy?

In case of a declaration by the President of the United States,of a attack unlike 9/11 was.What would happen to local LawEnforcement,on the city,county and state levels in our Nation?God forbid this ever happens!

Originally posted by The Don
    In case of a declaration by the President of the United States,of a attack unlike 9/11 was.What would happen to local LawEnforcement,on the city,county and state levels in our Nation?God forbid this ever happens!

GREAT QUESTION, I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THIS.

Comment

Originally posted by The Don
      I am not certain the president would have any special authority over state and local LE agencies...but reason I am not certain is I have not read over The Patriot Act, etc. I am also not completely familiar with the powers of FEMA should the president declare a state of emergency. I have heard all kinds of stuff but speculate most of it to be fiction.

I do remember that my department beefed up patrol coverage after 9/11 creating A LOT of mandatory overtime for all officers. They worked something like 60-70 hours a week for about 3 weeks. Then they gradually backed off to what they normally did.

Comment

answered own question
        Last edited by trpr2b; 07-28-2005, 07:58 PM.
        Be a leader, not a follower

Comment

Originally posted by CrymsinSky
          I have not read over The Patriot Act.
          Have fun with that, the official one is 238 pages long.

Comment

If we are talking in the utmost severe situation, the President has the authority to declare Marshal Law. (hypothetically, talking nation wide) If that becomes the case then the Army becomes the Head Law Enforcement entity with all others reporting to them. They would not, "take control", of say local PD's but the chain of command would stop at the General. (of course Exec branch would be on top). It would be a huge cluster trying to organize that many different agencies so under Marshal law the military will run the show. If they say curfew is at 8PM and the local PD say 10PM..... Army wins!.

FEMA is a HUGE Government agency that believe it or not is made up largely of the ARMY (Nat. Guard / Reserve, etc)(not saying they are Army, just clarifying) Simply because in the event of an emergency they already have tons of equipment to respond quickly. That's why you almost always see them at natural diasters so quickly.

If it ever got that bad .... heaven help us!
            Last edited by CarCop; 07-29-2005, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarCop
              If we are talking in the utmost severe situation, the President has the authority to declare Marshal Law.
              By no means am I a spelling Nazi, but I have to point out this one.

It's "martial" law.
              Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Edit: Oops rule violator!
                Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

My Bad on the spelling ...It's late and I"m on 2 1/2 hours sleep from last nights shift ...........I'm loopy! sorry -- Martial

Comment

"Marshal Law" is the type enforced by Matt Dillon or Sam Gerard.

Comment

Actually ... my boy just got a 'Rescue Hero' toy yesterday named Marshal Law ............ wonder if it just stuck.

Either way I get it ,,,,,,, I goofed on the spilling be !!!!!!!

Comment

In United States law, martial law is limited by several court decisions handed down during the American Civil War and World War II. In Ex Parte Milligan 71 US 2 1866, the Supreme Court of the United States held that martial law could not be instituted within the United States when its civilian courts are in operation. However, declaration of martial law is also sometimes used by dictatorships, especially military dictatorships, to enforce their rule.

There are conflicting opinions of whether or not the Executive Branch or Legislative Branch of our government has the sole authority to declare Martial law.
                        Retired

Comment

By a nice hangun,take a few courses in Bioterrorism and protect your family...as one police officer told me .."Iam not here to hold your hand"..I got the point!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6155 users online. 321 members and 5834 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X