300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listing References

I had a close friend I wanted to list as a reference on my city application, but this friend is a marijuana user. Can I still list this person as a reference, being that he has known me pretty much all my life and I wouldn't want to lose him as a reference because of his actions that are outside my control?

I'm sure you know somebody else.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Im sure the PD will also want to know why you associate with one you know engages in illegal activty. It makes your judgement look very questionable.

Comment

I found other references to list. Thanks, but when I want an editorial next time, I'll ask for one.

Just to clear things up, I don't "associate" with this person anymore, it was a close friend from high school who I have kept in contact with and have seen on only a few occasions over the past few years. I thought it would be good to have references from various points in my life, but I decided on listing only college references instead. The only problem with that is now I have to list an under-age drinker instead of a marijuana user...
        Last edited by JKooL; 07-28-2005, 01:24 PM.

Comment

How about a few neighbors and co-workers instead?
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Yep, I have a district court judge, VP loan officer at a bank, and a couple of my neighbors on my list of references (one is a retired school teacher the other just a neighbor). I wanted my references to have a good moral character and be good all around citizens that knew me personally. I chose them just as carefully as the PD is choosing their officers! That's just me though. We all know people who are less than perfect but I chose not to list those as my references.

Comment

Are you nuts ????

Comment

I listed a co-worker who has worked with me in the University ResLife system for 2 years and worked with me while I was President of the Residence Hall Government, the vice-president during the time I was President of the Residence Hall Government, my college room-mate of 2 years who worked with me in student government and University committees, and one of my best friends that I've known since growing up.

I don't have any "neighbors", I've lived in the dorms for the past 4 years... Sorry, I also don't know any district court Judges, or famous cynics like Bodie.

I'll keep you guys notified on how the process goes for me, since it seems you're all looking forward to seeing me fail...
                Last edited by JKooL; 07-28-2005, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Well, how about professors that you impressed then?

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                    If I make it to the background investigation, I would be glad to list them also. I have all kinds of contacts within the University, professors, administrators, employers, and co-workers.

My original question was simply me wondering if I should list someone who has known me for 3 years in College, or a friend who has known me since grade school.

Comment

Grade school would have been good had he not been a pot smoker but since he is then I'd not list him. Go with the college staff, they will look much better. You might want to query them now to find out if they want to be listed on your package so you can gather all their addresses & phone numbers.

Comment

Thanks pkagel.

Comment

Originally posted by JKooL
                          I found other references to list. Thanks, but when I want an editorial next time, I'll ask for one.

Just to clear things up, I don't "associate" with this person anymore, it was a close friend from high school who I have kept in contact with and have seen on only a few occasions over the past few years. I thought it would be good to have references from various points in my life, but I decided on listing only college references instead. The only problem with that is now I have to list an under-age drinker instead of a marijuana user...
                          Hey smart guy. If you dont like the answer, dont ask the question. With that attitude, they will have a good time with you in the academy, IF you can manage to get hired.

Comment

[QUOTE=JKooL]I found other references to list. Thanks, but when I want an editorial next time, I'll ask for one.

I think you asked for one this time. What did you expect to happen when you ask a question like the one you asked on a police website??
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            In Memory of Staff Sgt. Matt Kimmell
                            United States Army
                            5th Special Forces Group
                            Former Deputy Sheriff, Vanderburgh County
                            Killed in Iraq October 11, 2005
                            Sometimes I wonder, who you'd be today!!
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.tryfreemasonry.org

Real men wear aprons..

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                              very goood idea, not only are they respected (for the most part) they can use really big words that make you sound good. , seriously. would you rather have an educated person saying good things about you, or bubba, "yup, he sure is a good ol boy, kinda a terd sometimes, but he sure is crazy and fun to raise hell with"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5430 users online. 304 members and 5126 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X