300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Must Understand!!!!!!

I need to know how those psycho people you see in the big cities get that way! haha. I was in San Francisco yesterday and I was walking through the North Beach Park and noticed a really wack lady sitting in the grass. She was there for the two hours that I was in the city. I watched her for a while, left and then saw her when I came back to get to my car. When I first walked up and noticed her she was just sitting in the grass tilting from side to side, sometimes falling over, she was wiping her face and swinging her arms at people or maybe things in her head. She had the most evil scowl and I could see it looked like she was mumbling words or noises although I never heard her speak. I did hear her cough once. She'd do this just always looking around and swaying a little bit... Everyonce in a while she'd stand up and walk a few steps and do the same weird things and then she'd sit back down again. When I was leaving the city, walking back to my car I noticed her farther away from her initial spot where she had a jacket in the grass and some other belongings. She was like staring into the bushes and waving her arms every once in a while and doing all the crazy stuff she always does. She then turned around and kinda skipped back to her little spot on the grass, stood there for a second and then spun around doing her weird face thing and what not. I can't say I've ever really seen someone that whacked out. Like I couldn't even understand how she lived day to day... she didn't seem human. I couldn't picture her talking to someone, eating, or any common day things besides make a freak show of herself. I was just blown away by it. I'm so curious as to how she ended up like that. Is it all due to drugs do you think? Some people would probably swear it was spiritual (demons) (my parents think that that's a possibility). I talked to a couple of bums sitting on a bench maybe 20 yards behind where she was sitting in the grass doing her thing. One of them called her "Bean bag" but said he's never spoken to her. They both stressed that "you don't wanna mess with her, she's crazy."

The myseries of life!

Originally posted by Conner
    I need to know how those psycho people you see in the big cities get that way!
    Most likely a form of mental retardation, They do not choose to get that way.
    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Aaah, so you met a native Californian.

Most of the folks you see like that have mental or substance abuse problems. Years ago, California used to involuntarily commit them to hospitals.

However, in the early 1960's, "enlightened" Californians decided that this was inappropriate. It was believed that if properly medicated, these folks could lead useful and productive lives. So, they were released into the community with meds and told to take them on schedule. Needless to say, most fell off their schedule, stopped taking their meds and went back to their normal wacked out state.

At the same time, the law was also changed. It prohibited involuntary commitment of someone unless their condition was such that they were an immediate threat to their own safety, the safety of others or gravely disabled. Unfortunately, interpretation of that law has been limited at best. An "immediate threat" means that at this very minute, they are physically injuring or attempting to physically injure themselves or others. Gravely disabled is defined as being unable to provide yourself with the necessities of life. (If you are hungry and are smart enough to find food to eat out of a garbage can, you are not gravely disabled.)

Needless to say, this left law enforcement few tools with which to effectively deal with these folks. As an example, many years ago on the graveyard shift a man walked into the station and told me the son of Adolph Hitler was working as an LAPD officer and that we needed to arrest and execute the officer right away. When I told him we couldn't do that, he immediately switched gears and said there was an atomic bomb planted under the Alaska Pipeline, that it was in a copper clad anti-magnetic case, which shielded it from detection and only he knew where it was located. After speaking with the gentlemen at length, we decided to book him for 72 hour mental observation. We took him to County USC Medical Center, told the doctors what had transpired and gave them the subject. Before we could finish our paperwork, one of the doctors came out and told us they were going to release the subject as he wasn't wacko enough for them to keep. At that point, I gave up trying to deal with marginal people like that.
      Last edited by L-1; 07-27-2005, 07:37 PM.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1

Most of the folks you see like that have mental or substance abuse problems. Years ago, California used to involuntarily commit them to hospitals.

However, in the early 1960's, "enlightened" Californians decided that this was inappropriate. It was believed that if properly medicated, these folks could lead useful and productive lives. So, they were released into the community with meds and told to take them on schedule. Needless to say, most fell off their schedule, stopped taking their meds and went back to their normal wacked out state.

At the same time, the law was also changed. It prohibited involuntary commitment of someone unless their condition was such that they were an immediate threat to their own safety, the safety of others or gravely disabled. Unfortunately, interpretation of that law has been limited at best. An "immediate threat" means that at this very minute, they are physically injuring or attempting to physically injure themselves or others. Gravely disabled is defined as being unable to provide yourself with the necessities of life. (If you are hungry and are smart enough to find food to eat out of a garbage can, you are not gravely disabled.)

Needless to say, this left law enforcement few tools with which to effectively deal with these folks. As an example, many years ago on the graveyard shift a man walked into the station and told me the son of Adolph Hitler was working as an LAPD officer and that we needed to arrest and execute the officer right away. When I told him we couldn't do that, he immediately switched gears and said there was an atomic bomb planted under the Alaska Pipeline, that it was in a copper clad anti-magnetic case, which shielded it from detection and only he knew where it was located. After speaking with the gentlemen at length, we decided to book him for 72 hour mental observation. We took him to County USC Medical Center, told the doctors what had transpired and gave them the subject. Before we could finish our paperwork, one of the doctors came out and told us they were going to release the subject as he wasn't wacko enough for them to keep. At that point, I gave up trying to deal with marginal people like that.
        Hmm interesting. Where abouts do you live?

Comment

Sadly enough, there are people like that all over the place. We had a woman that lived in town that thought she was having Tracy Lawrence's (country music singer) baby. Even though she is about 60 years old. Our city has seen its fair share of people like her. Too numerous to go into detail, even for a smaller city.

What's even worse is a person with alzheimers. I feel terrible for them, especially when their children do not want to get involved. The scary part is that the alzheimers patient can get hurt really bad, and may not be able to help themselves at all. The kids can't face the fact that their parent needs to be in a nursing home. One lady calls the PD all the time telling us the "bad man" is here, nothing else. You go to her house, and there is nothing going on. One day she was mowing a patch of dirt in her yard It's sometimes difficult to tell if its some sort of mental ailment like schizophrenia or if it is alzheimers.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1

It's pretty much the same up here. The person gets arrested if they are a danger to themselves, or others. Then its a trip to the hospital, and if we articulate why we arrested them, or if their trying to bang their heads off the wall to see the "shooting lights of heaven", then they're held for 72 hrs.

Though I was asked for a psyc assessment on a gay, hiv+ guy that was threatening to shoot blood on his neighbor and being extremely raciest everytime he got drunk. He was remanded for three weeks for an assessment. (that's big time in BC.. he wouldn't have served three weeks incustody for the utter threats!)

I think in most of the developed world that "house" their mild to moderate mentally ill you're going to find them on the streets and in the inter-urban parks.

It's not illegal to be crazy, you just can be crazy and trying to hurt someone. Talking to invisible people, not having a home, and living in a park is totally normal in the bigcities. Heck, for some people it's a prefered way of life!!!

Comment

Man I work in a city with only 40 something thousand and that sounds like half of our population, you mean big cities are like this too?
              "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Conner
                Hmm interesting. Where abouts do you live?
                California
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
                  California
                  I know that much... I meant like Bay area, SoCal etc.?

Comment

If she was not acting that way from substance abuse...I am going to go on my experience of working the physically and mentally disabled and from your description that she is either mentally retarded, has down syndrome, or maybe is even autistic.
                    I think girls go after me for my Jeep

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4134 users online. 260 members and 3874 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X