300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's better to use for a on duty gun

I have a 9mm i will be using for the academy and the Sherrifs Dept. will be issuing me a 9mm what are your thoughts as to a weapon of choice.l

SIG P226R or ST

Comment

its really quite simple... You carry what ever your department issues you

Comment

Are they giving you a choice???
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

if they require you to carry what they issue, then yes you have your answer,,but most go with the 9mm cause of money (weapon & ammo are cheaper) however, most instructors and all the officers ive been around prefer the 40 cal round. each caliber has its pros and cons, but the 40 cal. seems to be a good "middle of the road" choice. very popular, as far is which make to get, well im not that helpful, i personally have carried a glock 22m since 1998, and i love it. but ive also heard that sig is a very very good choice to, just more $,,but this is not an area where you want to be a penny pincher. i prefer the glock cause its simple to use, no buttons, flips, to push when you are stressed to the max,,"its a combat weapon" academy instructor said, not a good around the house weapon.

Comment

You don't have to press any buttons to fire a SIG. I would argue that a SIG is more of combat handgun than a Glock.

Comment

well i havent looked at other weapons lately, so im assuming they changed the frames/mechanics of them, but when the troopers here first went to sigs, they had the decock lever on the side, and if i remember right they had a safety on tjem too,,

Comment

If they are letting you choose, pick what you feel most comfortable with. If they are picking up the tab, don't be afraid to spend their money on something top of the line. Every weapon has its pro's and con's, ask other officers if you can check out the feel of their gun. Weigh your options, and make an educated decision. Do you have big hands or small hands, that can make a huge difference when choosing. Me personally, if the department is going to pay for it (or even if I had to), go with a HK or a Sig. They have more than one size to choose from and HK has the P2000, if you don't like the USP or Compact series. The best part about the HK is that you have 9 different variants of each USP and Compact. You can best set up the gun to suit you best.

And no, I do not work for HK , just in case anyone was wondering. I just happen to believe they make an excellent product worthy of me purchasing.

Comment

I'd get whatever is smallest and lightest, it's not like your gonna be firing that gun much.

Comment

but when the troopers here first went to sigs, they had the decock lever on the side, and if i remember right they had a safety on tjem too,,

No safety on my newly issued P220. It does have the decock lever, but I don't think I'd own an automatic with an exposed hammer without a decock lever. Well, unless Chief tells me to that is...
                    "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

true, thats where the quote "combat weapon" came from, there really is no safety on a glock, there is nothing that you have to push, but like i said, i ve had mine since 97 or 98, its what im comfortable with, i know that sig and others make very good sidearms, i just like the glock for patrol, you unholster, and follow the your training, there is nothing else you have to do to it before it will fire, i know others are made that way now, but, i m used to a glock.

Comment

Whatever they issue me because it's FREE

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                          Whatever they issue me because it's FREE
                          spoken like a true old tymer

Comment

Originally posted by JHoek
                            its really quite simple... You carry what ever your department issues you
                            I econd the above or juist make sure its loaded.
                            I got nothing for now

Comment

Go with whatever the department issues. As Bodie said, "It's free!"
                              Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3256 users online. 144 members and 3112 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X