300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone over the radio?

I was listening to SDPD (San Diego, CA) dispatch and there was a call for dispatch to turn on a tone ringing sound over the radio. And this tone is played every few seconds, untill the officer tells dispatch that its clear to drop the tone. What does this mean? and what is is used for? Been listening for SDPD for awhile now, since i live near San Diego. Thanks for any insight =)

www.scansandiego.net
    Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

A tone is used to clear the radio of non-emergency traffic. If an officer has a FUBAR or a shooting, someone at gunpoint , felony stop... etc The tone is put on to let others who may not have heard the original call to stay off the radio unless they are involved. It cuts down chatter and lets everyone know somethng is up.

Comment

I had a feeling that was it, thanks for the info!
      Destiny is not a matter of chance. It is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

I think it is a great idea to have a "tone" We dont have it in Memphis and officers will get on the radio during a hold-up alarm and ask to run tags, etc. Very annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayW4442
          I think it is a great idea to have a "tone" We dont have it in Memphis and officers will get on the radio during a hold-up alarm and ask to run tags, etc. Very annoying.
          You should be on the traffic channel. Just how DO you get the PST's to shut up?
          "Patrolling the Idiocracy"

Comment

Originally posted by GrayW4442
            We don't have that either, not that it matters. The radio room would do it wrong anyhow. We have an alert tone for emergency calls, but they will tone out the stupidest stuff and then give out an armed robbery or burglary in progress call like it's a motorist assist or something.
            God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6332 users online. 341 members and 5991 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X