Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are my chances(Bodie I value your response)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my chances(Bodie I value your response)

Ok here's my scenario. Back in 1998 I went AWOL from the Marine corps. My father walked out on our family, leaving my mother to support a mortgage, and my siblings on a nurses aid salary.

At the time I asked my command if I could have temporary recruiters assistance back home, where I'd be able to get a second job to suplement my military income and help support my family. My request was denied.

Being young I made the foolish decision to go back home without authorization. While there I got a full time job. I worked hard for a year and was able to prevent our family from losing our home.

After I was convinced my family would be ok I reported back to Pendleton on my own. I was gone 12 months. Because of this I was given an OTH(Other Than Honorable) non punitive discharge.

With the help of politicians, and a review of my military records I was granted a waiver to re-enter the military. I'm now serving proudly with the Mass. National Guard. Will my pass indescretion permanently bar me from LE? I've no criminal record, never did any drugs, I don't drink, I speak 3 languages fluently, and have a degree.

To be honest, your past "indescretion" will be looked at unfavorably. That being said, the fact that you voluntarily turned yourself in and are working to clear your name will also be taken into consideration. Good luck and let us know what happens.
    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Just remember, contrary to popular belief, the people that are interviewing you are human. If that's the only thing against you, I don't think they'll automatically disqualify you.

You know, as everyone says, be completely honest. It's amazing what people can see when they look in your eyes while you are telling a story.

Comment

Apply and Give It a Shot

Here AWOL is usually considered a Federal Felon. But under the circumstances it appears the military forgave the violation so apply and provide a packet of documentation.
        Not sure how it will go but I don't think you will be out. I have known a few older guys that during military service did the AWOL thing and had to be hauled back but completed their military service.

Comment

Thanks for the positive replies everyone. Bodie's response gave me a lot of hope. If he feels I still stand a sliver of a chance then I'm pretty much golden.

I was never charged or convicted by the military for going AWOL. I was pretty lucky they handled it at command level. The result was an administrative OTH non-punitive discharge, as oppose to a punitive discharge like a BDC(Bad Conduct Discharge) or DD(Dishonorable Discharge).

Nevertheless, I am now happily and proudly serving the greatest nation in the world as a member of the Mass. Ntl Guard. I no longer am ashamed to look at myself in a mirror. I am very fortunate. I was given a chance to make right what I made wrong. I am earning the right to be called an American.

I felt like such a hypocrite when I was sworn in as a US Citizen. America had opened her arms to adopt me as her son, yet I had done nothing to prove myself worthy of such honor. I turned my back on her when she needed me. With each success I was reminded of how I broke my promise to her.

Never again! Only death will prevent me from fulfilling my military obligations to her this time around. I don't expect those of you who are citizens by birth to understand where I'm coming from. Hell, you may never understand.

You may never understand the pride one feels when they take the pledge of alliegiance of citizenship. You may never understand the joy one feels when America adopts you as one of her own. You may never understand so many rights you take for granted. I owe everything I am, every shred of happiness that I've ever known to this great nation.

Now....now...I've been given a chance to repay her. I don't believe I can ever fully repay her for all the joy and happiness she's given me, but at least this is a start. God Bless America!

Comment

You're fluent in three languages? The Transit Police will probably call you on the next list.
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

So will Taco Bell ................. Try Florida any agency

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                So will Taco Bell ................. Try Florida any agency

ROFLMFAO! I don't think Taco Bell will be calling me. The languages I'm fluent in is Haitian creole, French, and of course English. I know enough Japanese to get my by but that's about it. So will Taco Bell, that was a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
                  You're fluent in three languages? The Transit Police will probably call you on the next list.
                  You think so? That'd be awesome. I hear they have a high turnover rate but I can't understand why, they seem like a pretty good and squared away dept. I'm number 3 on the current list for Malden MA, they're sole Haitian creole speaking officer left to join the State Police Academy. Hopefully I hear from them soon.

Comment

The T is big on diverse languages, if you're a minority candidate start running now in prep for the Academy.

(PS- The only thing that I would hold against you is your Bodie worshipping. )
                    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Oh my gosh, you might have a chance. That's the first time I've ever seen Bodie tell someone anything but they'll never get hired ever, ever, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                        Oh my gosh, you might have a chance. That's the first time I've ever seen Bodie tell someone anything but they'll never get hired ever, ever, ever.

I do agree with this one to. That is a shock

Give Toby some time to get back on his computer chair, and get the root beer float off the keyboard.

Comment

Bad thing is guys I am usually right since I have screened candidates for many agencies for 15 plus yrs.

Comment

On thing to consider folks: I'm a retired OSI agent (MCIO), and can tell you that under Federal law, the type of discharge you cite is a punitive discharge, and is tanamount to a Federal record. Depending on the department, their policies, and what their understanding of your discharge is, it could very easily impact your acceptance as an officer candidate. Bottom line, don't let it stop you from trying, you've nothing to loose by doing so, but be prepared, the answer MIGHT be no......

Comment

Originally posted by Blue.Knight
                              On thing to consider folks: I'm a retired OSI agent (MCIO), and can tell you that under Federal law, the type of discharge you cite is a punitive discharge, and is tanamount to a Federal record. Depending on the department, their policies, and what their understanding of your discharge is, it could very easily impact your acceptance as an officer candidate. Bottom line, don't let it stop you from trying, you've nothing to loose by doing so, but be prepared, the answer MIGHT be no......
                              That's a negative. I'm now quite familiar with the UCMJ, I want to make certain I walk a straight line during my second tour in the military.

There are only 2 punitive discharges, the BCD(Bad Conduct Discharge) and the DD(Dishonorable Discharge). Punitive discharges may ONLY be awarded at a General Court Martial. The equivalent of a grand jury in the civilian world. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justi...discharge1.htm

I'm well aware of the consequences of what I did. However, AWOL/Desertion is only considered a General Court Martial offense in war time. OTH(Other Than Honorable), also known as an Administrative Seperation is not a punitive discharge. It cannot be awarded at a court martial.

You're also given this type of discharge if it is determined that you are a homosexual serving in the military. Should a person have a criminal record for being gay?

OTH discharge does not show up on any civilian/federal CRIMINAL record. It may only be found in your military record. However I do appreciate your words of encouragement.

In approximately 3 years I will be receiving an Honorable Discharge from the military. I will have successfully completed my tour of duty with the MA Natl Guard. Who knows, I might end up doing 20 years with the guard, so it may take a little bit longer.
                              Last edited by IloveAmerica; 07-29-2005, 07:59 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4968 users online. 306 members and 4662 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X