300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do you guys say these things?

we listen to the scanner at work--programmed for PD/FD/EMS (i'm a nurse and we want a heads-up if something's coming in). i've noticed that the officers say "myself and 'x'," and dispatchers and LE all "...at this time."

call me a picker of nits: "when i hear 'at this time,' i think 'as opposed to--what?--six weeks ago, or a month from now...or what?" and "myself and so-and-so" is somethign i hear only from LE or read in memos from administration. it sounds kind of--i dunno--pretentious, i guess; and it is poor english. not slamming; just honestly curious.

oh--feel free to forward any nits you have handy

Call me picky but your English grammer isn't the best either.

Comment

It is just cop talk. It is a peeve of mine too. Another one I hate is "A 2002 Ford Ranger, white in color." White is a color, why say "White in color?

Comment

Originally posted by lakecityrose
        we listen to the scanner at work--programmed for PD/FD/EMS (i'm a nurse and we want a heads-up if something's coming in). i've noticed that the officers say "myself and 'x'," and dispatchers and LE all "...at this time."

call me a picker of nits: "when i hear 'at this time,' i think 'as opposed to--what?--six weeks ago, or a month from now...or what?" and "myself and so-and-so" is somethign i hear only from LE or read in memos from administration. it sounds kind of--i dunno--pretentious, i guess; and it is poor english. not slamming; just honestly curious.

oh--feel free to forward any nits you have handy

At this time - the suspect is GOA (gone on arrival) Because at that time the guy was gone. If he comes back two seconds later it's not my fault!!! Because "at that time" he was gone.

Another word used is "appears", as in the building "appears" secure. It might not actually be secure, there might be hole in the roof, but it "appeared" clear when I did a premeter check..

Comment

Those of us in the LE field have our own way of talking just as you in the medical field do.

Comment

We tend to use language that has the best chance of being heard & understood over our low-bid radio systems.
            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
              We tend to use language that has the best chance of being heard & understood over our low-bid radio systems.
              Does anyone know why they keep getting smaller, but still weigh more???

And for those of you that haven't gone digital yet, it sucks!!! It gets garbled just as often, and you can't "walk" on anyone. Though having encripted channels are nice to keep the media and "scanners" at bay, at least on an Analog system, you can still key up holler for back up and still be heard over top someone

Comment

The "at this time" thing is kind of useful in a number of situations. For example, you check warrants on someone. They say "negative at this time" which means no he doesn't have any open right now, but he's had some in the past; a useful thing to know.

The [insert color] in color thing is amusing to me too. What else would it be [insert color] in; smell?

The "myself" thing is something that I tr to steer clear of. I don' tknow if it's proper or not, but it does sound odd.

Comment

Yeah about the color thing, I don't get why officers don't say "A White 2002 Ford Ranger". An officer told me they say "White in Color" so the dispatcher can't confuse it with "Right" or "Light". When they hear "Right in color" (Due to radio Problems) they can only assume the officer meant White.
                  U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                  Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

I`m with you there CST, digital sucks big time. We could receive radio transmissions from the moon back in the 60`s yet the British police still can`t devise a system that will reach the next street.

And don`t even get me started on the lock out when someone else is transmitting. I`ve been in several pursuits and gone for several miles before I could get in on the radio.

And when it rains the damn things fill up with water and stop working. Bit of a problem that when you work in one of the wettest cities in the UK riding a motorbike.

Digital radios what a crock of ****.

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb
                      At this time - the suspect is GOA (gone on arrival) Because at that time the guy was gone. If he comes back two seconds later it's not my fault!!! Because "at that time" he was gone.

Another word used is "appears", as in the building "appears" secure. It might not actually be secure, there might be hole in the roof, but it "appeared" clear when I did a premeter check..
                      DUDE that is sooo freakin funny, at the time I read it. SOO true to. As far as the it appears secure thing, its kinda a CYA thing...I thought it was secure chief so when the bad guy broke in 2 minutes after I left it wasnt secure, Cant blame me.
                      I got nothing for now

Comment

Much of these 'techniques' date back to older radios, that were really bad. My first car radio had tubes! At night, when I keyed the radio while driving the lights would dim! The radios were fuzzy, so we developed methods of speech to overcome the bad transmissions.

Now report writing (something I had to teach at the Academy) is really fun! Only cops "alight from their assigned vehicle", everyone else 'gets out of their car'.
                        And why do they want to write in the third person? "This officer" drove me nuts!
                        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

I know when I say "Myself and officer XYZ" I am usually just speeding up the process for the Dispatcher. Other wise I would say I am there then Officer XYZ has to key up and say he is there and that is just about the time the bad guy takes off and Im running but cant call out yet cause XYZ is talking. Just saves time and effort.
                          Quick throw me your cuffs I already used all of mine
                          Come here Slick Im not done with you yet

Comment

Originally posted by lakecityrose
                            Criticizing others for the way they talk when it doesn't concern you sounds kind of -- i dunno -- pretentious...
                            Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4182 users online. 173 members and 4009 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X