300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a 17 yearold stay home alone?

My neighbor came to me with this question.

His parents are going to go on vacation in a few weeks, and he wants to stay home with his younger brother (12 or 13 YOA). they want to know if their parents can get in trouble if they leave them there for a weekend or so. Lets say theie house gets broken into while the parents are gone and he (The 17 yearold) calls 911. Cops arrive and the burglar is gone. Would the parents get in trouble for leaving the 17 yearold in charge of the 13 year old? Would it be Child endangerment? And if you were the officer, would you actually get the parents in trouble, or would you just make sure the kids were ok?

I would think that it is ok, but since he is 17 and not 18 that is his concern.

Thanks
    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Most babysitters are younger than 17, and in MA, you can be criminally charged as an adult at that age. No problem, legally.

However......would I leave my house in the hands of my 17 year-old?

HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Thanks for the info, Ill go tell him.

Comment

Yes................
        "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

I was home by myself at 16 or 17 years old a lot of the time on the weekends or during the summer. The key thing is if you have trusted neigbor's let them know. And if there is a lot of cars, have them call it in.

When I turned 18, I didn't feel any different then when I was 17, but if I got arrested my name would be in the paper.

Comment

If they leave you home alone at the age of 17 you have to play Bob Segar music loudly and dance around the house in your underwear.

Comment

Originally posted by dptyrob
              If they leave you home alone at the age of 17 you have to play Bob Segar music loudly and dance around the house in your underwear.
              Ill tell him he has to do that.

The poooleeeece said so.

Comment

Is the 17 year old asking because he is truly concerned, or he is already planning the biggest block party of the year?
                Hopefully, it is the former not the latter....

Some boys mature and some, never grow up has been my experience..lol-glad I'm not the Mom!

Comment

Originally posted by lt93lover
                  Is the 17 year old asking because he is truly concerned, or he is already planning the biggest block party of the year?
                  Hopefully, it is the former not the latter....

Some boys mature and some, never grow up has been my experience..lol-glad I'm not the Mom!
                  I don't think he would have a party, a LT from the PD lives right next to me, and I live right accross the street from my friend.

Comment

I have been asked this before. It's not the age, it's the persons ability to care for themselves and others. If he was 17 with mental problems, then no. I have seen 10 year olds that can take care of themselves, and 20 year olds that can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Rally
                      I have been asked this before. It's not the age, it's the persons ability to care for themselves and others. If he was 17 with mental problems, then no. I have seen 10 year olds that can take care of themselves, and 20 year olds that can't.
                      And there is the answer...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4256 users online. 238 members and 4018 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X