Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much is WIEGHT an issue in a police career?!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is WIEGHT an issue in a police career?!

I am a smaller guy then most, but I am healthy. I am actually real fit and most people are suprised to find out how strong I am. But most police I ever see are big, or at least average. My question is: if I can get the job done, does wieght matter?
    Thanx
    Mark a.k.a.-stringbean

I'm a string bean too. Read our other posts reguarding this

Comment

See this:
      http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...highlight=size

I am by no means large, and one of the best Officers on our department is quite small. Anyways, that thread should keep you busy for a while.
      "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Big guys are less likely to be challenged by the bad guys. As a result they are less likely to be victims of physical assault. That doesn't mean a little guy can't do the job, it's just more likely that he may have to prove himself. I'm 6'2" 240 and in 27 years no one ever challenged me. I did arrest a lot of guys for assaulting the guys who were 5'7" 150. The funny thing is that I never saw a female cop get popped by a male suspect even though they are much smaller. It must be a cultural thing. I'm not saying it never happens, I just never saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by duckfan
          The funny thing is that I never saw a female cop get popped by a male suspect even though they are much smaller. It must be a cultural thing. I'm not saying it never happens, I just never saw it.
          Things have changed, we had a female officer get a pretty good beat-down from a shoplifting suspect.

I agree that as recently as a few years ago, a guy hitting a female was verboten. Now that just about everyone we deal with is drunk, on drugs, or mentally ill, that code of chivalry has gone out the window.
          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
            Now that just about everyone we deal with is drunk, on drugs, or mentally ill,
            It's good to see the clientel hasn't changed.

Comment

[QUOTE=haus409]See this:
              http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...highlight=size

Thanx! This link answered my question alot. And thanx to the other replys.

Comment

it makes no difference, its gonna happen,,people seem to run from big guys more often, people are gonna buck up on an officer just to try and prove themselves. i have seen little cops whip the snot out of everyone, i ve seen little guys buck up on big cops, thats usually pretty funny, it is mostly about officer presentation, if they think you are really squarred away (not cocky) they usually wont test you, they might feel you out at firtst, but they form an opinion pretty quick and decide a butt whippin and goin to jail just isnt worth it,,learn what you are talking about when talkin to a terd (verbal judo) and keep an clean pressed uniform, very intimidating

Comment

Originally posted by Stringbean
                  I am a smaller guy then most, but I am healthy. I am actually real fit and most people are suprised to find out how strong I am. But most police I ever see are big, or at least average. My question is: if I can get the job done, does wieght matter?
                  Thanx
                  Mark a.k.a.-stringbean

Spelling is more important than your WEIGHT (duh)

Comment

I am a "Big Cop" but I can tell you the best backup I ever had on a fight was a fellow male officer that is 5'9 and 140 LBS....

Sure size is a factor, but in the grand scheme of things as long as you are in shape, know your stuff, pay attention to your training, and stay safe and vigilant - and never give up... your fine...
                    Retired 02/01/13

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3644 users online. 234 members and 3410 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X