Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When can Police break the speed limit on Highways?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can Police break the speed limit on Highways?

I

Who's going to stop them?
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
      Well since the law covers *ALL* emergency vehicles (not just Police), I'm wondering what law covers Emergency Vehicles (which includes Police Officers). With the vague way it's written, it makes it sound like a private company with an Emergency Vehicle Permit could get pulled over by an officer for doing 85 even if they have their emergency lights on and are responding to an emergency. That's why I'm wondering where the statute is that exempts them from the law.

Comment

Who really cares? I hope they are traveling at Mach 3 if I'm ever in need of their help. Emergency lights or not...I hope your not somebody who thinks that a cop speeding without having their lights and siren on is wrong. If so, your opening a whole can of worms here...

Comment

What possible "research" could you be trying to find here. It sounds to me like your trying to bust a cop!
          There's no substitute for strength,
          and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Comment

7Blue.
            Retired

Comment

You're reading the vehicle code wrong. 21055 says...commencing with all the sections you listed. That means that is the first section of each respective chapter listed in Division 11 of the vehicle code. 21055 includes all sections in each chapter. The easy way to look at it is......21055 exempts from all of Division 11 (Rules of the Road) of the Vehicle Code. Also don't confuse the definition of a highway (defined in section 360) with the definition of a freeway (section 332).
              Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Originally posted by PTI
                You're reading the vehicle code wrong. 21055 says...commencing with all the sections you listed. That means that is the first section of each respective chapter listed in Division 11 of the vehicle code. 21055 includes all sections in each chapter. The easy way to look at it is......21055 exempts from all of Division 11 (Rules of the Road) of the Vehicle Code. Also don't confuse the definition of a highway (defined in section 360) with the definition of a freeway (section 332).
                Ohhhhhh yeaaaah, you're absolutely right! I completely misread the statute by confusing the word "commencing" to mean "regarding". Okay, Sec 21055 is now starting to make a lot more sense. But when ambulances and fire trucks and CHP and private emergency vehicles and other Emergency Vehicles don't have their lights on, can they still speed if they need to get somewhere fast even if it's not an emergency? Or do their cars only become exempted from the law under the conditions of Sec 21055 (a) & (b)?

Comment

When ever we feel like it. Don't like it tough $hi^.

TGY
                  Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy
                    When ever we feel like it. Don't like it tough $hi^.
                    I'm currently an FTO (remind me to never do that again), and the other night we were responding to a panic alarm at a residence at about 10pm. I shut-down the lights & siren when we got close to the building, but my rookie still dutifully stopped at a red light when there was no cross-traffic.

Me: "Blow the light".

Rookie: "But the light's red".

Me: "Who the hell is going to stop you?? Blow the f**king light!!!!".

Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I'm currently an FTO (remind me to never do that again), and the other night we were responding to a panic alarm at a residence at about 10pm. I shut-down the lights & siren when we got close to the building, but my rookie still dutifully stopped at a red light when there was no cross-traffic.

Me: "Blow the light".

Rookie: "But the light's red".

Me: "Who the hell is going to stop you?? Blow the f**king light!!!!".

Its funny that you mention that because a good portion of new guys will do that. They drive like old aldies to all non-emergency calls. I can see taking your time for a simple vehicle accident or a barking dog call. Disturbances need a little pep to it. Just like Vegas mentioned above.
                      I agree, I have a feeling the poster is trolling around.

TGY
                      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by chris91604
                        Ohhhhhh yeaaaah, you're absolutely right! I completely misread the statute by confusing the word "commencing" to mean "regarding". Okay, Sec 21055 is now starting to make a lot more sense. But when ambulances and fire trucks and CHP and private emergency vehicles and other Emergency Vehicles don't have their lights on, can they still speed if they need to get somewhere fast even if it's not an emergency? Or do their cars only become exempted from the law under the conditions of Sec 21055 (a) & (b)?
                        The exemption only applies under the conditions of 21055.
                        Last edited by PTI; 07-24-2005, 01:26 AM.
                        Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

In MN uur law is clear emergency vehicles may speed with red lights and siren on, with the expection of police cars which do not need to have their emergency equipment on when responding to calls. However a red flashing light and siren must be on to go through a stop sign.
                          Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy
                            I agree, I have a feeling the poster is trolling around.
                            TGY
                            It strikes me as odd that an officer who has no problem enforcing the law, would ever be hesitant to educate a civilian *about* the law. I'm not a threat to you, I'm just trying to understand the vehicle code. Sheesh =\

Comment

Originally posted by PTI
                              The exemption only applies under the conditions of 21055.
                              Thank you VERY much PTI. I have a far better understanding now of how the statute is applied to emergency vehicles (as well as how to read the law).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4025 users online. 225 members and 3800 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X