300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering if my past will hurt me for future job

A few months ago, I was going through the selection process with a police department in NY state. I thought I had a pretty good chance of getting in. I passed the physical fitness test, 1st interview went well, my background check went smoothly and I passed the polygraph exam. At the beginning of the process I had to list all undetected crimes I ever committed. During the pre-polygraph questionaire, a detective asked me all types of questions. And then he asked if I have ever "peeped". I never thought of it up until this point but 4 years ago when I was 19, I was at a party in my hometown. My ex-girlfriend lived practically 4 houses down and I saw that her new boyfriend's car was in the driveway. After drinking a little bit, I decided to go over and look in the window. They were on the couch making out. I stood there for just a little bit and then went back to the party.

After I told the officer what I did in my past, he asked me if I touched myself while looking into the window. I thought for a second and remembered that I did for a short period of time. I never exposed myself or anything like that but I did touch myself. I know it sounds creepy, but I am not the type of guy who does that stuff. I was drinking and it just happened. I have never done anything like that since that incident. I was later disqualified because the background investigator said I should have mentioned it from the beginning.

So now I am beginning to go for my first interview with a Police Dept in NC. I know an officer in the Department and he is going to sponsor me, which will prioritize me above others, I have a BS degree in criminal justice and I also participated in an internship with the county sheriff's dept, and besides that I have experimented with marijuana about 9 times. I guess Im just a little worried that when I tell this new department why I was disqualified from the other dept. , I wont get in

Peeping Mike...smoking marijuana nine times...playing with self in public...

Do you see a problem with the above related incidents and employment in LE?

If not, then a self re-evaluation may be in order.

I would suggest that at the very least you should discontinue your pursuit of a career in LE for several years to increase your maturity level and also put time between your indiscretions and future LE applications.

Edit: I would also notify your current sponsor of your past indiscretions so that he doesn't become embarrassed over his sponsorship of you without knowing your background, and / or become the subject of departmental ridicule or disfavor.
    Last edited by Lucky Seven; 07-23-2005, 04:02 PM.
    Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

Admit to "Things" like that and you are toast anyplace I know of.,

Comment

Do you guys think that a Dept. can look past that as long as I am honest about it and the fact that I do know an officer in the department who is sponsoring me during the selection process and my criminal justice degree and internship?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike100
          Do you guys think that a Dept. can look past that as long as I am honest about it and the fact that I do know an officer in the department who is sponsoring me during the selection process and my criminal justice degree and internship?

With time, as long as you discontinue your use of MJ, the drug issue for some departments would probably not be an issue. (Five to ten years).

Regarding the other issues, I would be surprised if a department would accept the liability of having an officer that potentially could be involved in a sexual scandal (especially on duty) when they were aware of prior conduct.

I would talk to this friend of yours (sponsor) with the department you are going to apply to and tell him the issues you have and then obtain his opinion as to your chances.
          Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

My agency wouldn't touch you w/a ten foot pole. Drug experimentation can be forgiven....the other stuff, no. And by the way.........yuk!

Comment

I'll give Mike credit for originality. When I saw the thread title, I was thinking this was another, "I got arrested for drunk driving, smoked marijuana, underage drinking" thread. I was not expecting the "playing with myself while peeping on my ex-girlfriend making out with her new boyfriend" angle. Kudos.
              "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

nothing to see here
                Last edited by olnacl; 05-18-2006, 02:50 PM.

Comment

The county I worked for wouldn't hire you based on either issue. If you had only tried pot once or twice maybe, but nine times no way. The peeping issue is an instant DQ.

Comment

Ive got my past issues too for my application but I can pretty much tell ya that the "Well I was drinking so thaaaats why I was touching myself at my girlfriends window while she made out with someone else"

Sometimes I worry sick about the stuff thats gonna come up in my BI and then stuff like this comes up and I dont feel so bad.

Comment

Wondering if past would hurt me.

Short answer: My department would not consider you.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............lmfao

Comment

Originally posted by Mike100
                          After I told the officer what I did in my past, he asked me if I touched myself while looking into the window. I thought for a second and remembered that I did for a short period of time. I never exposed myself or anything like that but I did touch myself. I know it sounds creepy, but I am not the type of guy who does that stuff.
                          Yes, sounds creepy. Yes, you are apparently. Tell yourself whatever you need to help you sleep at night, but that's not normal behavior.

Detectives don't ask that kind of stuff out of the blue. There must have been something that lead up to that point.

Bodie's right, no self-repecting agency will hire someone that behaves like that. Think of a different career path, and also think about getting some couch time. Best of luck.
                          You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4436 users online. 277 members and 4159 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X