Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police and Intimidation

... or whatever.

Hey everyone! I'm a civi and I just have a question for all you officers. I live right by a police station. Mostly, I'm glad it's there as my area here in NY is chock full of alleys and unlighted areas. I'm sure that if it weren't for the precinct being right there crime would be way up. However, a girl can find it pretty uncomfortable walking by the station. Yeah, I know they are mostly guys and it's natural for them to look or whatever... but these guys- GAWK.. Their eyes seem to almost pop out of their heads as if they've never seen the female version of the human race before! It can get pretty intimidating when half the block (the station is on the corner but the officers and their cars take up about 1/2 the block) is staring at you. Anyhow, it's now starting to get worse because when some of us girls walk by to get to the train, sometimes police cars come up along side and really SLOOOWWW down and then make lude comments. As a woman I'm used to this behavior from teenagers, but to witness it in grown men and those in uniform at that makes them seem pretty pathetic. A lot of the girls in the neighborhood won't pass by the station anymore and will go around the long way to get to the train station.

Here's my point- The majority of the guys seem nice even though they act like they haven't gotten laid in years. Staring makes you feel like you're a hotdog walking down the street- but a girl learns to deal with that pretty soon after the age of 11 anyway. However the guys who follow us around in their cars at night just to stare and make comments for as long as an entire block really make the hairs in the backs of our necks stand up. Should I assume that things will escalate? Or is this common behavior among officers and I'm over-reacting? All I know is, it's fu**ing scary to be minding your own business walking down the street at night and having uniformed men follow you in their cars... especially in this darkened & desolate neighborhood. Should I start taking the long way to the train station too? I like being able to go straight there.

I don't think you need to worry, but you definitely need to find out the officer's names and complain to their supervisor. These things are taken very seriously. That's way out of line.

Comment

Go straight to the top...Mayor or City Council. This behaviour by officers is probably given tacit approval by the police department brass (they probably taught the officers below them that it is OK). Sounds like they have a culture of disrespecting females at the local PD, have all your friends who have experienced the same crap go with you when you meet the Mayor or do it at an open council meeting.
      Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Wouldn't taking that kind of action get all of them in trouble instead the ones that are doing it? That could get the whole precinct in trouble no?

Comment

That is pathetic if what you say is accurate. Without getting too graphic what exactly are these cops saying to you? Surely there will be similar complaints on file from other females if these cops are as bad as you allege.
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by loolie
            Here's my point- The majority of the guys seem nice even though they act like they haven't gotten laid in years. Staring makes you feel like you're a hotdog walking down the street- but a girl learns to deal with that pretty soon after the age of 11 anyway. .
            You made it seem like "the majority act like they haven't been laid in years" are doing this.
            Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Question
              Other then complaints, what if any charges could this young lady press against these LEO
              Straight Up

new office pic relocated to: http://truckingamerica.blogspot.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=Straight Up]Question
                Other then complaints, what if any charges could this young lady press against these LEO
                Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
                  If they aren't threatening bodily harm or to commit an illegal act.... None. It falls under protected speech. However, it IS inappropriate.

Depending on the agency, their actions if true, would violate most departmental policies.
                  Retired

Comment

**Not a Cop!!**

If I were you I would walk up to them and say something like "Why are you staring at me?" Or tell them "Please stop staring at me." They can not legally do anything to you if you are clean.
                    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

While I am not one to advocate complaining against the police simply because one does not like what is being said to them, this is totally different. These officers are out of line, and give all of us a bad name. This is something that should be brought to the attention of superior officers if not higher, so that it is dealt with. In any department this type of behavior is against SOP.
                      In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by retired
                        Depending on the agency, their actions if true, would violate most departmental policies.
                        I'm sure it would violate ALL agencies departmental policies. However, he inquired about criminal charges. There is not a criminal violation for merely saying sexual suggestive comments.
                        Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
                          I'm sure it would violate ALL agencies departmental policies. However, he inquired about criminal charges. There is not a criminal violation for merely saying sexual suggestive comments.

I read where he said "charges" and didn't specify criminal, that's why I mentioned departmental charges.
                          Retired

Comment

Originally posted by TPD Cadet
                            **Not a Cop!!**

If I were you I would walk up to them and say something like "Why are you staring at me?" Or tell them "Please stop staring at me." They can not legally do anything to you if you are clean.

I think it's bad advice to suggest that she should confront each and every cop who is doing this. She should report it to the duty supervisor.
                            Last edited by BrickCop; 07-24-2005, 08:37 AM.
                            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

If the comments are considered lewd and would also be considered sexual harassment in any other situation, IN TEXAS, it would be an offense what these officers are doing. It would be called Official Oppression, which would affectively end the officer's career.

Not sure if any such statute exists in your state but worth looking into...esp if the agency and city are highly political. No one should be made to feel this way by a police officer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6341 users online. 351 members and 5990 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X