300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For police (background investigators)

I have a question that I'm trying to answer for my brother-n-law. I don't know the exact answer myself. He was involved in a situation when he was 19 years old. He was in a fight with his fiance and 3 other kids. they were following him down the road, while at a red light threw some pennies onto his t-tops of his car, then took off. He followed them to get their license place info, they were pulled over on a side street. While trying to get the place info, the driver got out, he got out to resolve the situation (he's not a fighter) well the driver got aggressive, they were all young kids. While this was going on the other 2 kids got out and began jumping in. His fiance was trying to break it up. While the fight was happening he was being pushed to the ground, and somehow his foot went up and kicked one of the kids in the you know where. After he got up and the fight broke up, they all went their seperate ways. Well he gets a call 3 days later by a local police det. stateing that the kids filed a report, they remembered his plate (personalized). The det. lived 5 doors down from the kid. Apparently the kid went to a party that night. Woke up the next morning claiming his testicles hurt. His doctor said if the swelling and pain doesn't go down by moring go to the hospital. Well he did and they had to do an operation and remove one. Now he was origionally charge with a felony assault when he went in on his own to fill out a report. After hiring a private investigator to follow these kids, and monitor their daily activity, the charge was reduced to a misdeamanor 1st. He's never had an incident in his life, they gave him community service and a conditional discharge. This was 6 yrs ago. He was engaged, had a house, and was at his job since high school doing very well. He was obvisouly not looking for a fight. Now he wants to get into LE. What are some of the things a background investigator will say about this? Will he get hired? he doesn't live with me, his state might be different than mine. Could you please give me some feedback for him. If this was one of your applicants and this was something they had (only) thing, would you pass him on or no. I've seen my variety of people get hired, but I want a professional opinion.

So....He was attacked, fell down, and managed to kick a kid in the nuts so hard that one had to be removed, yet the kick wasn't intentional? I call BS.

Comment

Call it what you want. It wasn't intentional. he's 120lbs. He was falling down, so the force must have went up. besides he said after the fight broke up, they kept coming after him, then went to a party. the atty's said that they weren't even sure it was from him, that's why it was reduced...If it was so intentional they would have sued him for his home owners, his own atty said not to even bother. But when your in a fight and trying to defend yourself, accidents happen...

Comment

There Are No Bi's Here??

Can someone please give me some feedback on this....PLEASE

Comment

Well, that story was a little hard to follow; I'm not sure what the part about the fiance' fight was about. However, a misdemeanor charge isn't an automatic DQ, but since he was charged with a felony orginally, I don't think he's ever going to work as a cop. It's theoretically possible, but very unlikely. If you commit a felony you're not even charged with, it will come out and you won't get hired.

Tell him not to quit the day job.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback. Actually I have a guy in my dept. that was charged with a felony, it was reduced, and he was still hired. It was his only issue. The part with the fiance was nothing. I was just saying that she was with him, it wasn't like he was out with his buddies looking for a fight. Are you a BI investigator? I told him not to quit or give up. I think there have been cops hired even though they have had issues in their past. I'm trying to get opinions for him, I know what my dept. said, they said the pretty much the same thing, it's not a DQ automatically, but all he has to do is explain the story and they can give him a shot.

Comment

If I read correctly he's not a convicted felon so on paper he could be hired. He may be able to satisfactorily explain this incident to a BI. Although I too am a bit skeptical about the kick that caused the kid to lose a testicle.

Is it possible your brother-in-law's story is not the whole story?
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

brick cop

That's the whole ironic thing, he was always picked on in high school, he's not a tough kid at alllllll...He's never has been in a fight till then. He was one of the most mature, grown up kids I knew as far as working, fiance, bought a house..He was not looking for a fight. He was williing to take a polly to explain the whole thing. even the judge knew our grandfather and knows he's not a bad kid at all by any means....This is the whole thing about LE I hate. they judge someone by one mistake in their lives....when everyone out there in LE is the same, just most of us never got caught....I hope some BI's out there have passed kids in the BI with things like this.....On paper (conditional Discharge) it shows a misdemeanor...

Comment

Originally posted by sheriff2004
                  Thanks for your feedback. Actually I have a guy in my dept. that was charged with a felony, it was reduced, and he was still hired. It was his only issue. The part with the fiance was nothing. I was just saying that she was with him, it wasn't like he was out with his buddies looking for a fight. Are you a BI investigator? I told him not to quit or give up. I think there have been cops hired even though they have had issues in their past. I'm trying to get opinions for him, I know what my dept. said, they said the pretty much the same thing, it's not a DQ automatically, but all he has to do is explain the story and they can give him a shot.
                  NOT TO WORRY!

Comment

Doesn't appear to be an automatic disqualifier, but he'll have some 'splaining to do.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I'll let him read all the posts, he definetly has a more positive feeling about himself now. He was feeling like a looser, I tried to tell him that everyone makes mistakes, even I did. (minor). I hope he gets in in his area, or he's looking at NYPD or FL. Possible even coming back to Buffalo, but the jobs here are slim to none. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. *****ALSO are the replies from BI investigators.??

Comment

Bi

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this topic, even though I thought I would get a lot more responses, I still thank everyone.

Comment

Update on the Background Question

An update, he was told by a couple of different depts. that the incident won't DQ him, however there are some that say it can. Has anyone out there had any situations like this that came up during a BI investigation? I overheard his PUNK neighbor kid tell him not to even put it on there, they won't find it he said. He was telling him a story about a friend of his who got into a bar fight, was arrested, printed, but was let go, and charges reduced. He said he never put it on his app for a local dept. and they never found it. Names were not given for obvisous reasons. I told him over and over and over agian, HONESTY is the BEST policy. Don't be ashamed of who you are or what happend, it's a situation that you can't hide, and will have to explain forever, but you will get in becasue of who you are and what you can offer.....and advice..

Comment

Can someone please give me some feedback on this....PLEASE

I think that you are laying it on to thick for your brother-in-law. Sounds like he has a temper and you do not want to admit to it and a LE background investigator will see the same thing when he tries to say this bs. You dont fall down them accidently kick somone in the groin and that person has it removed becasue of his injuries. He must have kicked and kicked and kicked this guy in the groin because he lost all control. Try this sad story with a background investigator abd he will be laughed at all the way out the station. The stroy sounds like it is, full of BS
                            Last edited by Crex4242; 08-20-2005, 10:18 AM.

Comment

That's the whole ironic thing, he was always picked on in high school, he's not a tough kid at alllllll...He's never has been in a fight till then. He was one of the most mature, grown up kids I knew as far as working, fiance, bought a house..He was not looking for a fight. He was williing to take a polly to explain the whole thing. even the judge knew our grandfather and knows he's not a bad kid at all by any means....This is the whole thing about LE I hate. they judge someone by one mistake in their lives....when everyone out there in LE is the same, just most of us never got caught....I hope some BI's out there have passed kids in the BI with things like this.....On paper (conditional Discharge) it shows a misdemeanor...

man you just keep making your brother-in-law sound like this great citizen that just keeps being in the wrong place at the wrong time. if we see through all of this, then so will an investigator buddy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4071 users online. 261 members and 3810 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X