Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighter to Police Officer?

Hello all.

First off let me say to all you law enforcement officers, I have nothing but pure respect for you guys! I work side by side in some situations with police officers on a per shift basis (24 on 48 off). I live in a small town in S. Arkansas and have worked for the fire dept for almost 3 years. Our dept. works a lot different than some we are a combination dept. with only 4 full time firefighters (3 ff and 1 chief). We work 24 hours on and 48 off as previously stated, the chief works 5 - 8 hour days.

Now to cut to the chase....I am very interested in applying at our PD. I have talked to the Police Chief who talked to the mayor who talked to my chief who talked to me about staying. Anyway, I got the book, I mean applications filled out and all the necessary paper work in order but didn't turn it in. Just holding it right now. I like what I do, but I really like to work, I ain't scared of working! Our fire dept is S - L - O - W for the most part. We run maybe 3 or 4 calls a week! Figure that into only actually working on 2 or 3 days per week and you may go 2 months without making an emergency run! So I'm bored....a lot! There are other reasons I want to leave, but I won't discuss those. Anyway, my main question here is I am wondering how hard the transition would be. I know working hours would change drastically. I am married and my wife supports me......for now. I know each one of the police officers here (about 16 full time). Most of those guys (great guys) have different personallities than mine. Maybe from the job? I'm laid back and don't have a temper to speak of...I've seen some of those guys GO OFF! And the times that I saw this was indeed called for b/c some idiot was acting a fool and they delt with the situation. Anyway, I know Fire and Police have their differences at times, but I just wanted to get some officers opinions on a possible switch to the other team? Thanks for any opinions good or bad.

Its all in what you like to do. Have you done a ride along before to see if its something you would like? Its not like the show COPS all the time. There is lots of paperwork. lots of getting off late, court time. The job is not all about going off on somebody. Does it happen? yes but is it an every call thing no. You have to ask yourself what are you looking for?

Comment

Our jail, police, dispatch, and fire are all housed in one building. I see a lot of what goes on because I spend some time up at dispatch on each shift. I know I don't see everything but I see the searches, perps getting sprayed, officers doing reports (lots of them), hear lots of conversations between officers and officers talking to people whether they are victims or suspects. It is a really tight knit city. We have a pop. of about 7000 in the city limits. So most of the criminals are the same ones over and over (like most towns I suspect). Anyway, point being, I am around the police dept quite a bit. All of the PD offices are just down the hall and the dispatch is right there too. I even deal with prisoners on a very VERY SMALL sort of way. I check the fire safety (extinguishers etc.) in the jail area. Even put out a fire up there one night. I realize it isn't COPS. But I really think I would like it, getting to work with people daily good or bad. I know it's dangerous, anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot. Firefighting is dangerous in a whole different way.

The only bad part is, you guys have a lot of start up expense!!!! The pd makes those guys buy their own gun and equipment. even their own spray.

Comment

i dont know about firefighting, but police work = staying late often, yes a lot of paper work, picky supervisors (the dept and your rep depend on your reports in court), very high stress level (stupid people, time deadlines), even when your off, your not cause of all the court time (& actually not going to court, just standing around waiting for it, especially on days off), your family cant come see you at work, like they can at the fire house (i saw that a bunch), last yr my christmas was about 4 minutes long & i had to stay over about 4 hrs after shift ended. but, on a good note, i miss the crap out of it, and kick myself everyday for leaving it, i would give both nuts to get back in. like the 2nd post said, it just depends on what floats your boat.

Comment

Originally posted by safetyobc
          Firefighter to Police Officer?

WHY???????

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5515 users online. 323 members and 5192 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X