300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice from other LEO's who have been deployed with the Guard or Reserves

Ok, I am an LEO deployed with my National Guard unit in Iraq. I found this site because I was looking for a place to ask other OIF or OEF vets what to expect upon my return home. I am sure that I will have some legal updates, firearms qualification, and whatever else the department and OPOTA tell me I need. I am just looking for a little advice from someone who has already been in my shoes. I try to keep contact with my co-workers and they have been wonderful to my wife.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated, I just want to get back in the game with my head on straight, and make a smooth transition back to the PD.

Thanks

First, thank you for your service!

I was deployed during the first Gulf War (1990-91), and returning to civilian LE is not an easy transition. I would recommend taking as much time off as you can before returning to LE duty. I could have taken 60 days but didn't, and I regretted it later.

I'm sure that there is now an extensive debriefing before getting released from active duty, and you should take advantage of it. Within 30 hours of being in the desert, I was in a barroom at Fanuiel Hall in Boston, and that kind of culture shock f***ked with my head. If you think you need help, ask for it.

Most of all, avoid the temptation to go out with your buddies every night when you get home. Spend a lot of time getting to know your wife again, because you're both now different people.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

we had two officers come back, and the cheif put them on a desk for a minimum of 6 months and then talk to a srink to make sure they didnt suffer from PTSD, they had to go through the FOP to get reinstated to the street,,i bet you dont wanna hear that, but get ready just in case..be safe.

Comment

I've been on 3 deployments since 9-11 and all of them take their toll on you. Don't forget the average joe citizen has no f*cking clue as to what goes on outside of their own neighborhood, nevermind overseas.

Don't get discouraged when someone, especially a spouse or girlfriend throws a temper-tantrum over what you would consider a trifle. Their little world revolves around instant gratification, being a cozy 71 degrees all day, and watching American Idol.

Oh yeah, when you come home, don't drive like you're on Route Irish avoiding IEDs. I drove my wife nuts when I started driving here again.
        Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Originally posted by SinePari
          I've been on 3 deployments since 9-11 and all of them take their toll on you. Don't forget the average joe citizen has no f*cking clue as to what goes on outside of their own neighborhood, nevermind overseas.

Don't get discouraged when someone, especially a spouse or girlfriend throws a temper-tantrum over what you would consider a trifle. Their little world revolves around instant gratification, being a cozy 71 degrees all day, and watching American Idol.

Oh yeah, when you come home, don't drive like you're on Route Irish avoiding IEDs. I drove my wife nuts when I started driving here again.
          Good point. It's funny how little things to a vet get others fired up, and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
            we had two officers come back, and the cheif put them on a desk for a minimum of 6 months and then talk to a srink to make sure they didnt suffer from PTSD, they had to go through the FOP to get reinstated to the street,,i bet you dont wanna hear that, but get ready just in case..be safe.
            That sounds more like punishment to me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3170 users online. 155 members and 3015 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X