300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal History Statement Packet help

I have started my background investigation as of yesterday. We had to write a 5 page essay. After we did so, we were given a Personal History Statement, and a checklist of things we need to do. On this check list, it listed things like: Getting a copy of your SS card, DL card, diplomas, etc. Most of it is pretty straight forward, but I have a question and concern about TWO of the items on the list:

ONE of the listed items that I'm worried about, is to turn in a "List of neighbors (past and present)." I'm pretty concerned about this, because I've lived in quite a few areas for starters. I know of 2 or 3 neighbors from my childhood in another state (Still have their numbers and addresses. In fact, I'm still in contact with them.) Since moving to Idaho, I can only list my next door neighbors. From living in Weiser, I can only list one neighbor. Anyway...I can only list about 5 neighbors or so. Is this bad? I don't even know what the hell I can do about other neighbors. Is this a big deal? Some apartment complexes my family lived in, we didn't even get a chance to know anyone. However, there was one place in Boise, Idaho where we lived there for 5 years, and I honestly didn't take the time to learn new people, other than who I already knew. Are they just wanting the names of my neighbors, or do they want their addresses and phone numbers? Most of the neighbors I use to know, don't even live there anymore.

SECOND on the listed items that I'm worried about, is "Performance Evaluation from your employers." This may sound stupid, but I'm not exactly sure what they want. (1.) Are they asking me to go find all my old employers and evaluate the job I USE to do? (2.) Or, are they asking me to supply them with performance evaluations from my CURRENT employers? In which case, that'll be difficult. I just started a new job, and my second job at Meals on Wheels, wouldn't know what to say I'd imagine. (3.) Or, are they asking me to supply them with ANY evaluation I've had in the past? If that's the case, I only have one of my evaluations from a past job, and it was done 1998.

Thanks so much for any help. They were so vague about this list of items, and there's no description next to them, which is frustrating since I'm trying to do everything as perfect as I can.

That's a really good question regarding the neighbor issue, I'm curious what officers are going to have to say.

I to would be in the dilemma because growing up, didn't have neighbors, lived out in the middle of nowhere with the closest person being over a mile away and I wouldn't say our families agreed on much being competitive farmers; didn't really have any close neighbors. Then, same with the apartment complexes I've lived in the past, one being nothing but college students that did nothing but party all the time, this apt. complex I live in now, is all older married couples with kids who don't associate with us college folk.

Anyone have any comments on my situation when responding to Irish's?
    Put 'em on Safe and let 'em Hang...

Comment

I would talk to your older married neighbors and tell them you are applying for LE and to expect a phone call. As long as you've been a decent neighbor you have nothing to worry about.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

wow I have filled out a few history packages in the past. Thank God they didnt have those questions, or make me write an essay.

I would definitly be in the same situation as you.

Im a nice guy to talk to, help out any of my neighbors..if they ask. other than that, I dont associate with them at all. No reasons why not, just me I guess.

How wierd I would feel knocking on my neighbors door, whom I dont know, and asking them to fill out this piece of paper so I can be an Officer.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by OnAJourney
          wow I have filled out a few history packages in the past. Thank God they didnt have those questions, or make me write an essay.

I would definitly be in the same situation as you.

Im a nice guy to talk to, help out any of my neighbors..if they ask. other than that, I dont associate with them at all. No reasons why not, just me I guess.

How wierd I would feel knocking on my neighbors door, whom I dont know, and asking them to fill out this piece of paper so I can be an Officer.

Good Luck
          That's exactly how I am, I'd help if they asked, but don't associate with them on a daily basis. I would feel very weird if my SPH had that question...crossing fingers...

Thanks for the replies...
          Put 'em on Safe and let 'em Hang...

Comment

So do I include past job performance evaluations (which I only kept one, and it's from 98'), or as I suppose to ask my 2 current employers to give job performance evaluations (which will be difficult since one of my employers, I just started working for. My other employer, I suppose I could ask her to give a verbal performance over the phone to my investigator.)?

Comment

Yup, what DUI said. My agency doesn't ask the neighbor questions, but I've heard some do. I'd be in trouble myself since I don't normally associate w/any of my neighbors, never have never will.
              I don't know much about the performance evaluations. I'm not sure I could articulate mine and I wouldn't necessarily want to include them. Not because I have anything to hide by any means, but it should just be a question of whether or not you would be rehired and what kind of employee you are. My agency uses cookie-cutter evals and just inserts your name and changes some words and numbers around. IMO not a true eval. I wouldn't put too much stock, myself, in a performance eval.

Comment

Personal History Statement Help

Sounds like the department you're applying to does pretty extensive background investigations. DUI Eliminator pretty well answered your question,and I can only second his advice. Be honest,and as truthful as possible, but don't be paranoid. Believe me, a department that carefully screens it's applicants will probably be a pretty good one to work for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3366 users online. 169 members and 3197 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X