300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please?

Hi, My name is Scott Daniel, I'm still in High School, but I also know for sure that I am going to pursue a Career in Law Enforcement. I can't decide if I want to go on to college after High School or If I want to go ahead and start working with the local Police Department. I have also thought about working and taking night classes somewhere close if I can. So if anyone has any advice please let me know.

Scott Daniel

Most police departments now require 60 hrs of college. Also they require that you are 21. An education will make you look better in the application process. If I were you I would complete my college before moving on to the PD.

Comment

Go to college and take a degree. LE will wait.

Comment

All agencies that pay anything or are worth joining require a degree.

Comment

Bodie, while I agree with most of what you say, I disagree with you on this one. We have MANY great agencies down here in FL that do not require a degree. With that being said... I still think anyone getting into LE should pursue a college degree. It makes you a more desireable candidate, and always gives you something to fall back on.
          In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

I agree...

Go to college..Like some have already said you will be a better candidate and find it easier to get a job that you like.

Comment

Hey guys, Thanks a lot. I guess I will work the rest of my High School and get some Scholarships to pay for college but I will go.

Comment

get an associates in CJ, but major in business or managment,,something like that,,1- it looks good if you want to advance to administration 2- law enforcement may not work out, or you could get a medical retirement (hey its dangerous,crap happens) just dont limit yourself to CJ.

Comment

sflcop then why disagree it is only a matter of a few yrs that all agencies will be on the degree band wagon.

Comment

Perhaps this is true, and perhaps it is not. Like I said, there are a lot of great agencies down here that do not require any college credits. There are some crappy agencies down here that require 60 credits. I still think everyone should pursue a degree. There are many people that get into this field thinking it is the job for them, and sooner or later realize that it is not (and I commend them for having the guts to say so before they get themselves or someone else hurt). At least with a degree in something other than criminal justice, they have something to fall back on. However saying that any department worth joining requires a degree is a bit of an overstatement.
                    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                      sflcop then why disagree it is only a matter of a few yrs that all agencies will be on the degree band wagon.

There will probably be small podunk towns that can't afford to pay someone with a college education for many years to come. If they change the requirements on a certification level, then we're probably going to see a severe shortage in law enforcment officers very quickly.

Comment

Go to college if you can afford to go before joining a department. Getting on a department your pay won't be like S Oneil where you can make your millions first and then go back and get your degree. Having your degree on the wall is like money in the bank in case something something happens to you as a police officer. You have a degree to fall back on if things don't work out. Such as an injury. Good luck.
                        Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4827 users online. 320 members and 4507 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X