Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good places to pull over to when stopped?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good places to pull over to when stopped?

We have seen people pull over to some very dangerous spots endangering officers and others during a traffic stop.
    Like the narrow shoulder of the fast lane for example.

Whether it was speeding, or a tire going flat the driver was unaware of, or for any reason.
    What I'm basically asking is this;
    What to do and what kind of places to look for to pull over to when stopped by a law enforcement officer?

Edit 7-23-05:
    Thanks. :thumbsup:
    A lot of good info is already here in this thread.
    Last edited by 3rd_shift; 07-23-2005, 02:05 AM.
    Bedtime at sunrise

The officer determines the location of the traffic stop. The officer shouldn

Comment

If a traffic stop is in a dangerous or "bad" location it's because an officer likeley used poor judgement in deciding where to intiate the stop or "light" up the car being stopped.

We train officers to pick the location and not to activate lights etc until near a safe spot. If the car being stopped sees the officer coming up behind them and knows they committed a traffic violation stops in an unsafe place the officer can order by PA the car to pull on down the road or can quickly approach the car and verbally tell the driver to move on donw the road or even to a parking lot nearby etc.

Sometimes officers get lazy about this and the we end up with injured people etc.

Comment

Did not know that officers were trained to determine the best place to stop a car. I always assumed the lights came on whenever you were "caught." I am learning that there is a LOT of thought behind just about everything an officer does...very impressive.

Can't believe I did this after posting my thoughts on the subject.
        Last edited by TXLady; 07-21-2005, 09:31 AM. Reason: Posted where I shouldn't have...Sorry!!!
        "Only imperfection is intolerant of imperfection"

Comment

Yeah, a lot of it is common sense but there is a detailed course of instruction relating to traffic stops.
          Last edited by Tennsix; 07-21-2005, 09:41 AM.

Comment

You don't activate lights etc until you are where you want car to pull over.
            Traffic stops are serious training because of safety issues.

If an officer pulls you over and then tells you to move to a safer locationand you fail to do so we add a charge of "failure to comply"...... in addition to original reason for stop.

Comment

On the big road, on/off-ramps, cross-overs, size of the BDL, left vs right curves, radio signal strength, etc all play a role in determining where to stop a car.
              Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

If the moron doesn't pull over right away and ends up someplace that I don't approve of, I get on the trusty old PA system and advise them to pull ahead into the next parking lot (or whatever suits the situation).
                If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

I can't tell you how many people don't pull over right away when you light them up and then you wind up in a bad spot. Then you try to get them to move on via PA and they're too stupid/scared/befuddled/drunk to comply (take your pick). Then you wind up having to get out and approach the vehicle to ask them to move, unless they're too impaired to let them do so. No amount or types of tickets will fix that. Sometimes you're just stuck there. Prayer, flares, and another unit to try and help get them out of the road and/or to slow down traffic is highly recommended.

Comment

Very true... I always get their DL and reg before asking them to move, just in case they decided to keep going.

Comment

When doing a stop on a freeway, Interstate or whatever you call in in your area, I'd always offset to the right with my overheads & right turn signal on then use my spot light to sweep the area to their right to direct them to the right shoulder. Some people are just too lame to get it but it worked most of the time.

Comment

Sweeping with a spotlight here was determined to be a danger factor that could blind a driver causing them to strike a freeway wall on swerve into another lane.

Comment

I said we sweep the lane to the right of them & not on them. Do you spot them at all? At what point? What if the fail to yield to the lights & siren, do you spot them then?

Comment

Not with the fantasic lights we now have. it looks like a space ship is landing on their *** so no spotlight is needed. The takedown lights mid bar light up the interior after stop is made.
                            We used to spotlight but not needed anymore.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4758 users online. 287 members and 4471 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X