300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Degrees

Do any of you have any experience with these? Do people actually feel that they are the same as a degree from a traditional 4 yr school? I was wondering if anyone could provide any insight to how an employer would look at a degree like that versus a traditional one. Thanks in advance.
    si vis pacem para bellum

The key thing is the accreditation of the school. Believe it or not, there are such things as fake universities, and scam artists have made millions selling worthless degrees. Such scams will advertise that they're "accredited", which is technically true, but they invented the accreditation agency themselves, and accredited their own school. In order for accreditation to be legitimate, the accrediting body MUST be recognized by the US Department of Education or CHEA.

There are two types of legitimate institutional accreditation in the United States, regional accreditation (RA) and national accreditation (NA). By far, regional accreditation is the most widely accepted. The US is broken down into different regions, with an accreditor for each. For example, Harvard University is accredited by the New England Association of Schools & Colleges, New York University by the Middle States Association, Stanford by the Western Association, etc. Degrees and credits issued by a RA school are almost universally accepted.

Nationally accredited schools are also perfectly legitimate, but you may run into some problems with degree acceptance & transfer of credits. Unless someone is 100% sure that a NA degree will suit their needs, I always advise people to go with an RA school.

So, to answer your question, all the research in the field of distance learning has shown that there is almost universal acceptance of distance learning, or "online" degrees, provided that the school is regionally accredited. It's not the delivery method that people tend to look at, but rather the finished product.

If you're interested in Criminal Justice, I maintain two lists of online programs, all of them legitimate.

Regionally accredited programs.

Nationally accredited programs.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

They can come back to haunt you and you could spend a lot of moeny for nothing. A Few classes online yes an entire degree no.

Comment

Masters degree online. Tried it for a few weeks, hated it. Never again.

K9

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling that some of that stuff seemed too good to be true. I applied for a job and tested for it, and as a backup plan I was going to go and try and get another degree. I just have an associates right now, and I wanted to bring a little more to the plate. Thanks for the info folks
          si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
            They can come back to haunt you and you could spend a lot of moeny for nothing. A Few classes online yes an entire degree no.
            All the research in the field points to a different conclusion.

One major study (Sosdian & Sharp) showed that 100% of HR directors not only accepted distance learning degrees, but many preferred them, because it showed that the applicant is capable of independent work.
            Last edited by Delta784; 07-20-2005, 02:52 PM.
            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I agree with Bodie. I took 4 classes online from the University of Maryland when I was in Japan. I took two Enlgish classes a psychology class and a computer science class online...

I think you have to pick your classes that you take online in accordance with your ability to learn.. for example, if you are bad at math and you know you are bad then do not take it online.. you need the physical presence of a classroom setting. However, if you take a class like english that involves a lot of reading anyway it can be easier.

For the most part I was impressed with the quality of the online classes but even though I would probably have gotten more out of an actual face to face class.

The online classes are perfect though for the individual on rotating shifts as I was. Those shifts are annoying because its really hard to plan for the long term scheme of things making college almost impossible when you know you won't be able to attend the night class next month because you start the 4-12 etc..

My 2 cents...

Comment

More reason to get your schooling done before applying....

K9

Comment

Couldn't disagree more. I am nearing the completion of my second degree online. The work load for me has been harder then the tradition classes. However, they are more difficult if you are not good in a subject like math. Overall I have been very happy with then and no where on the diploma's does it state that this was completed online.

Comment

University of Phoenix may be worth looking at

Comment

Im actually 1/2 way done with my BA in CJ. Ive done the whole thing online through Kaplan Univeristy.

You can check it out www.kaplan.edu

Comment

I used UOP and was impressed with the school. Now I am going to a local college (Southwestern College) for a degree in Security Management.

Comment

I took several classes through UOP and loved it. The only probelm is that they are very exspensive and my dept now only covers about 40% of the class cost.

TGY
                          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

so the guys that have taken classes, do your employers think as highly of an online degree as they do from a traditional 4 yr? Thanks for all the help
                            si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by 00svtlightning
                              so the guys that have taken classes, do your employers think as highly of an online degree as they do from a traditional 4 yr? Thanks for all the help
                              I am not going to get my degree online but if and I did I wouldn't volunteer the information. I don't see how it could really hurt you as long as its an accreditated school, but there are a lot of narrowminded individuals...

By the way, where in South Dakota you from? I lived in Sioux Falls for 4 years.

Mike

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 158272 users online. 123 members and 158149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X