This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange County (Ca) Sheriffs

Can anyone out there give me some insight into the academy?

I am going through backgrounds. Still haven't taken a poly for some reasons, but passed everything else some months back. I believe that my BI has everything neccessary, and am 9hopefully, please God!) going to be hired.Soon. I hope

How much notice would I get upon being hired, and before my Academy started.

One more question. If I elected to go SSO rather than Deputy, would it expedite the peocess?

Originally posted by Scouts Out
    One more question. If I elected to go SSO rather than Deputy, would it expedite the peocess?
    I grew up in OC and know that they make some serious $$$. Count yourself a lucky SOB if you can pull a patrol assignment in San Clemente

If SSO = Corrections then I'd do the time and WAIT for the patrol deputy slot.
    "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Can anyone out there give me some insight into the academy?
      I have heard that it is very physically demanding, very boot camp.

Comment

I think SSO refers to Sheriff's Security Officer.

And I'm not a cop, and I don't know OCSO, but I seriously doubt that would help anything at all. Why would they go through the trouble of hiring you as a security officer just to take you off the job and reassign you as a deputy trainee. Backgrounds take time, so have patience. And you could get 2 months notice, or 2 days before the Academy starts, happened to one deputy in my class.

It all depends on the amount of time between when they finish your background, poly, psych, medical and offer of employment and when the next academy starts. No one on here knows how long that will take, so just have patience.
        *Not a cop*

Comment

It is actually Sheriff's Special Officer and they do quite a lot of stuff like working the jails, and the OC Airport. If you don't get the Deputy job it is a great stepping stone into the dept'.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I graduated from OCSA. It is a high stress, physically demanding academy. My class started with 28 and 14 graduated. If you are not 100% commited to law enforcement you will fail. The staff there will seek out the weak recruits and make them wish they never showed up. They don't care if you're a woman, minority etc.....if you are not up to their standards they will force you to quit.

In socal law enforcement, if you graduated from OCSA you have already earned some respect with other officers, especially those who went to OCSA. At the very least people know you are not a quitter, because you EARN your badge there, it is not given to you. Some people say stress academies are useless, I disagree. You get a pretty good idea of how people are going to react under stress. You don't want the street to be the testing ground or the first time an officer has ever been screamed at or faced with an extreme stress situation.

If you decide to be an SSO, you will not go to the 26 week OCSA academy, you will go to an SSO academy. SSO's do a lot of things for the department, and one of the deputies that I graduated with was a prior SSO. SSO's are not 830.1 they are kind of hard to describe, I don't even know if their position is enumerated in the penal code. If you do become a deputy, I hear you are looking at 5-7 years in the jails before being released to patrol or another speciality assignment.

good luck

ps: can't tell you too much about the academy....want you to discover the joys on your own...heh
            Last edited by ben88; 07-21-2005, 06:08 PM.

Comment

I have to agree totally w/ Ben, I went into the OCSA w/ the wrong attitude and taking Ripped Fuel w/ ephedra, I mad a lot of stupid decisions, and was targeted, rightly so, and ended up quitting. I ended up going to another academy last year and while the instruction was better and it was a stress academy it was nowhere near the stress of OCSA. At times I wished they would turn the stress up because their were a few guys that would have been knocked down a few notches deservedly so. Although I hated every second I spent at OCSA I am a better person for it. I just wish I hadn't screwed it up. It sure made the other academy militarily easy though. I really need to go apologize to my Tac for my actions while in the OCSA.

BTW, when did you go through, did they fix the flag pole yet? I was in 141.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by ben88
                I graduated from OCSA. It is a high stress, physically demanding academy. My class started with 28 and 14 graduated. If you are not 100% commited to law enforcement you will fail. The staff there will seek out the weak recruits and make them wish they never showed up. They don't care if you're a woman, minority etc.....if you are not up to their standards they will force you to quit.

In socal law enforcement, if you graduated from OCSA you have already earned some respect with other officers, especially those who went to OCSA. At the very least people know you are not a quitter, because you EARN your badge there, it is not given to you. Some people say stress academies are useless, I disagree. You get a pretty good idea of how people are going to react under stress. You don't want the street to be the testing ground or the first time an officer has ever been screamed at or faced with an extreme stress situation.

If you decide to be an SSO, you will not go to the 26 week OCSA academy, you will go to an SSO academy. SSO's do a lot of things for the department, and one of the deputies that I graduated with was a prior SSO. SSO's are not 830.1 they are kind of hard to describe, I don't even know if their position is enumerated in the penal code. If you do become a deputy, I hear you are looking at 5-7 years in the jails before being released to patrol or another speciality assignment.

good luck

ps: can't tell you too much about the academy....want you to discover the joys on your own...heh

I understand that the Orange County Pension system is in some serious trouble.

It was reported on June 22nd that Orange County, which is a
                Retired

Comment

I actually spoke with my BI earlier this week. I inquired about the possibility of choosing SSO over Deputy, just to see if it would expedite me getting a job. He was kind of like "Why would you want to take a step down?"

To be honest, I'm waiting tables right now, so to me, it would be a step up! If I didn't have arresting rights, carry a weapon, etc, it's still better than getting stiffed on tips, working with lazy people, no respect, etc. Shoot, I'll clean toilets at the courthouse if it means I can put on a uniform again, and tell people i work for LE, rather than telling them what I'm currently doing.

The academy intimidates me. I did time in both the Corps, and later the Army, all in combat arms (Infantry,Cavalry). I recently went through Scout School, and was the honor grad. All that being said, I hate the Boot enviornment. Not thrilled to do it all over again. But, if I'm going home at night, that cuts the pain in half.

And plus, I believe the academy is some $24 an hour? That sure beats $1500 a month

Thanks for all the replys.

Comment

[QUOTE=Blue Leader]I grew up in OC and know that they make some serious $$$. Count yourself a lucky SOB if you can pull a patrol assignment in San Clemente <<

LOL

I originally set my sights on wanting high crime areas. But yeah, as I get older, patrolling 'The OC' doesn't sound too bad

Comment

Just don't get the cocky "I've already done boot" attitude that I did. Play their games and move forward. I'd wait for the Deputy job to play out before worrying about SSO. No reason to take the step down if it is not necessary.

Comment

I actually spoke with my BI earlier this week. I inquired about the possibility of choosing SSO over Deputy, just to see if it would expedite me getting a job. He was kind of like "Why would you want to take a step down?"

To be honest, I'm waiting tables right now, so to me, it would be a step up! If I didn't have arresting rights, carry a weapon, etc, it's still better than getting stiffed on tips, working with lazy people, no respect, etc. Shoot, I'll clean toilets at the courthouse if it means I can put on a uniform again, and tell people i work for LE, rather than telling them what I'm currently doing.

The academy intimidates me. I did time in both the Corps, and later the Army, all in combat arms (Infantry,Cavalry). I recently went through Scout School, and was the honor grad. All that being said, I hate the Boot enviornment. Not thrilled to do it all over again. But, if I'm going home at night, that cuts the pain in half.

And plus, I believe the academy is some $24 an hour? That sure beats $1500 a month

Thanks for all the replys.
                        I honestly can't see it being worse or even close to what you'd go through in Marine Boot Camp. Or is it?

Comment

Depends on what your point of view is. Once you've been through boot camp it is almost like a slap in the face to be treated like that ever again. This is the wrong attitude that I had when I was there.

Originally posted by Matto
                          I honestly can't see it being worse or even close to what you'd go through in Marine Boot Camp. Or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                            Depends on what your point of view is. Once you've been through boot camp it is almost like a slap in the face to be treated like that ever again. This is the wrong attitude that I had when I was there.
                            I was just touching on the part about I guess the "toughness" of the academy compared to boot camp.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                              I would agree with this whole-heartedly. That's why I chose an academy that was a little more laid-back instead of in-your-face like Alameda County SA. It's good for people who've never had that experience to help them lose the attitudes and develop some discipline, but if you've been there, done that and got the t-shirt, it would be kind of aggravating.

Of course, if I had to do go through a boot-camp type academy, I'd do it.
                              *Not a cop*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3296 users online. 174 members and 3122 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X