Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash
    replied
    Just because I started at 19 doesn't mean I didn't goto College.

Some of us took college classes in place of high school.

Leave a comment:

• Praetorian
    replied
    Originally posted by Coco
    Reading all that it seems like a lot of officers didn't go to college. (I mean, with 18 you're just out of High School...) I thought most departments require a degree and that chances are slim to get a job as a cop without one.
    Most departments require a degree? Maybe that is why recruitment numbers are low in my state...or at least in New Orleans.

Leave a comment:

• Coco
    replied
    Reading all that it seems like a lot of officers didn't go to college. (I mean, with 18 you're just out of High School...) I thought most departments require a degree and that chances are slim to get a job as a cop without one.

Leave a comment:

• R00tBreaker
    replied
    I have a friend that is a full-time Deputy Sheriff at 19 years old. He works the courts, though.

Leave a comment:

• SO19Trojan
    replied
    There's been quite a few sweeping statements made by some here.
    I really hope those of you that feel you are able to judge every 18 year old are not cops ................ if you are making ill informed statements like that then what else are you judging people on before you know them ?

I joined my force as a cadet at 18 and was out on the streets a couple of days after my 19th birthday.
    I have always considered myself to be a decent person and a good cop - as a probationer I had the highest crime arrests at my station (a police station of over 300 officers).
    I always had good reports from my supervisors and have been commended more times than I can remember.

So for people like cwillis0001, Crex4242 etc etc who have managed to taint all young cops with the same brush I would suggest you have a think prior to forming opinions based on ill informed prejudices.

I'm not saying that you will not get some young cops that are hot-headed but I'm sure that some of you (those with a bit of experience and whose ink has had time to dry on their warrant card / police ID) will have came across cops of all ages that are like that.

No matter what the age, physical size, sex, colour, religion etc etc of the cop, you will have good and bad.

Leave a comment:

• Dash
    replied
    I applied when I was 19, got into the academy after JUST turning 20 and am now 21.

I think I do a rather decent job for a rookie.

Leave a comment:

• LE206
    replied
    Originally posted by BIGDRookie
    I've seen veteran officer's who prolly couldnt run 15 feet without needing to take a rest. I'm sure if one of these "veteran officers" got into a little scuffle one night he wouldnt mind a "young" 20 year old coming to back him up
    You also said dont judge a book by its cover.. Ive seen some larger guys who are also veterans hold their own just as good as I can, and I consider myself to be in rather decent physical condition. I dont think they are saying your are "dumber than a box of rocks" but just inexperienced, yeah so am I.. at 22 and a rookie myself I got alot to learn and the veterans are who Im learning from. Take their comments, jokes etc.. but along with that they will also give you some good information. We wont be rookies forever

Leave a comment:

• BIGDRookie
    replied
    I'm 20 years old and I'm a Police Officer in Wisconsin. Does the fact that i'm 20 make me a crappy officer? Nope, not at all. Sure, I havent had as much "life experience" as most officers but that dont mean a thing. As far as people saying they wouldnt want someone as young as I responding as back-up for them....

Obviously you must think all of us 18,19, and 20 year old cops are 5'5" 130 pounds and dumber than a box of rocks. Obviously there was a reason I got hired over all of them supposed "older guys with more life experience". I've seen veteran officer's who prolly couldnt run 15 feet without needing to take a rest. I'm sure if one of these "veteran officers" got into a little scuffle one night he wouldnt mind a "young" 20 year old coming to back him up. Not trying to rip on anyone here, also not trying to get defensive... I'm just saying don't judge a book by its cover. So what, I'm 20 years old, big deal.. I just got in the game a little earlier than most. Which means I get to leave earlier than most as well....

Amen...

Leave a comment:

• dvsmnstr
    replied
    In my dept in NJ, there are two guys here now who started at 18, and both have 11 years on now. It's still 18 and no college req. so it could happen again.

Leave a comment:

• DennisNJ
    replied
    Sworn in at 18 in a "on-duty/scope of duties only" paid peace officer job. Small-town cop at 20. Probably lacked the requisite maturity and life experience to do the job well until around 25, when life OUTSIDE work had sufficiently kicked me. Yet, somehow was hired, passed FTO, received favorable performance reviews, worked proactively, and did just fine, thank you.

I'd prefer to work with someone who's reasonably sharp on tactics and law, possesses decent interpersonal skills, doesn't take themselves too seriously, and likes to actually do cop work. I prefer to not work with a-holes, slugs, whiners, leg-riders, or cops who otherwise create more problems than they solve. I refuse to work with liars.

But within those rather broad parameters, I don't care whether you're male, female, black, white, Asian, transplanted from the Ursa Minor system, big, small, 20 years old or on the back side of 50. My working presumption is that you deserve to be there. Prove me wrong, and we're done.. but until then, I'll work with you. Yes, even infants of 18 or 19.

Leave a comment:

• Washingtonian
    replied
    Originally posted by dptyrob
    I think that everyone has some growing up to do in this job when they first start whether they're 18 or 48. But your average 30 year old person has a little bit of a head start over the average 18 year old. The AARP suggestion sounds like that of someone who is a little behind the curve in the maturity department, especially for someone professing to have 7years on the job.
    No, i'm not behind the curve, I just have a sense of humor...

Leave a comment:

• Praetorian
    replied
    Originally posted by cwillis0001
    I wouldn't hire an 18 year old to wash my car much less be a cop.
    Hmmm...well you let 16 year olds prepare your food when you go out to eat, don't you?
    Last edited by Praetorian; 08-12-2005, 12:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kcolg
    replied
    state law is 18 here. departments are free to set their own standards. in our state cops are exempt from state law. the only thing the can't do is buy handgun ammunition until they're 21 because that's federal.

us military is as exempt from gun laws here as cops are.

Leave a comment:

• K9 Gunner
    replied
    We have a 20 year old that does a great job. I would agree they are few and far between, but I also agree to watch the blanket statements. I would put our young buck up against most officers on knowledge and tatics. He has some good street smarts too for 9 months on the job.

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' 87
    replied
    Louisiana is 18, and I think they can still wait a year to go to the academy.

Was that way in Texas until the early 80's, then we got progressive.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3911 users online. 264 members and 3647 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X