300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opportunities for 18 year olds

I am currently writing a movie script about a 17, soon to be 18 year old, whose life goal is to become a cop. He's a fairly mature, adventurous kid; got a little pride but not too cocky. His Uncle is the Sheriff in the small town of Louisville, Mississippi. Now that he is about to be 18, he is hoping that his Uncle will give him a job on the force.

I don't know the Mississippi or Winston County laws on minimum officer age, but even if he didn't qualify, are there any positions such as Intern or Police Assistant that he could fill?

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
      The college requirement should keep an 18 year old from getting hired. In FL the state law is 19 years of age, but I have yet to see it happen.
      I know a 19 year old officer. He is a reserve with Leon County SO. One of my friends. Kinda strange that he is a LEO at 19.
      U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
      Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

I've met just as many, if not more, cocky 30+ year old cops who think they're the ****. Maybe the job should be restricted to AARP members only.
        Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Originally posted by Washingtonian
          I've met just as many, if not more, cocky 30+ year old cops who think they're the ****. Maybe the job should be restricted to AARP members only.

I think that everyone has some growing up to do in this job when they first start whether they're 18 or 48. But your average 30 year old person has a little bit of a head start over the average 18 year old. The AARP suggestion sounds like that of someone who is a little behind the curve in the maturity department, especially for someone professing to have 7years on the job.

I don't know the Mississippi or Winston County laws on minimum officer age, but even if he didn't qualify, are there any positions such as Intern or Police Assistant that he could fill?
          The age requirements for jailer/detention officer may very well be lower, and that is an excellent place for anyone to start in law enforcement. If you learn how to deal with the bad guys on their turf (which entails exercising a healthy dose of discretion and tact), then you'll be much more effective and safer on the street.
          Last edited by dptyrob; 07-24-2005, 07:28 AM.

Comment

A friend of mine was a Deputy Sheriff at the age of 18 assigned to the Corrections Division the only thing he could not do was carry a weapon or leave the jail on duty because they have to carry weapons etc when transporting prisoners outside of the jail or picking prisoners up.

I dont see a problem with having a Police Officer or Deputy at age 18 or above. The Military hires persons 18 and above to be Military Police Officers etc. As long as the 18 yr old graduates basic training and all then they should be allowed to be a officer assigned to some division.

Comment

Originally posted by S/O245
              I dont see a problem with having a Police Officer or Deputy at age 18 or above.
              If you ever have occasion to witness an 18 year old police officer trying to diffuse a domestic dispute between a mother/father and their 20 year old dead-beat kid (or any other countless, similar scenarios) you may see where the age thing can be awkward. The 18 year-old that can project a strong, confident, calming, and authoratative presence is a rare gem. As I said before, a great deal of that has to do with the perception of the officer by the people with whom they are dealing and regardless of how mature, intelligent, and skilled a person is, they are going to have a certain amount of difficulty when trying to assert themselves in a situation where the participants all view him as someone that should be sitting at the little table at thanksgiving dinner, and staying quiet. They don't like what they perceive as a snot-nosed brat telling them how to live their lives. How do I know? Because I've been that snot-nosed brat.

Obvisouly the powers-that-be agree that an 18 year-old should be able to be a police officer. However if there was a scientific way to compare the average age of the new hires between agencies that have a large pool of applicants against those of agencies that are paying 18k a year and have a small pool of applicants, I wager you'd see the hiring age is going to be higher at the agency with the larger pool of applicants. A lot of that has to do with them hiring people with military experience and/or higher education, both of which contribute not only to technical and scholastic profficiency, but to maturity (both physical and cognitive).

The Military hires persons 18 and above to be Military Police Officers etc. As long as the 18 yr old graduates basic training and all then they should be allowed to be a officer assigned to some division.

Apples to oranges comparison. I was pulling MP duty at the age of 18 myself, and learned a great deal from it, but it is terribly dissimilar to civilian law enforcement. For one thing 95% of the people that you deal with are military personnel who are indoctrinated to exercise discipline and to recognize and obey rank and authority (which are sometimes, especially in the case of a MP, independent of one another) or their families. Even then you're going to run into senior enlisted or field grade officer that are going to give some cherry a ration of crap (generally over trifling little things like traffic stops), but those people usually aren't the ones that you're going to be dealing with on stuff like domestics. MPs generally have a lot less liability to worry about as well. If you're dealing with some ******* that doesn't comply you generally don't have to put forth a lot of effort to diffuse the situation. The Army/Navy/Marine Corps/Air Force/Coast Guard owns his *** and you can basically thump him and drag him off to the brig with impunity. That's not to say there aren't politics involved in military policing, because it is very much so.

Comment

NC is 20 for municipalities and 21 for county and state. I started at 20, and am now 26 with 6 years of experience. From that experience, 18 is too young.....19 is too young....20 is too young....:-)
                "Avoid the summertime blues"

"Show me your friends, and I'll show you who you are."

Comment

started when I was 19 and I am now 30. Can you say retirement at 40!!!!

Comment

I wouldnt want an 18 year old as back up or anything else. That is to young for a policer officer and the power will blow that kids head up so big. lol

Comment

Louisiana is 18, and I think they can still wait a year to go to the academy.

Was that way in Texas until the early 80's, then we got progressive.
                      "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

We have a 20 year old that does a great job. I would agree they are few and far between, but I also agree to watch the blanket statements. I would put our young buck up against most officers on knowledge and tatics. He has some good street smarts too for 9 months on the job.
                        South Bloomfield Police Department
                        K9 Unit

American Working Dog Council

Comment

state law is 18 here. departments are free to set their own standards. in our state cops are exempt from state law. the only thing the can't do is buy handgun ammunition until they're 21 because that's federal.

us military is as exempt from gun laws here as cops are.

Comment

Originally posted by cwillis0001
                            I wouldn't hire an 18 year old to wash my car much less be a cop.
                            Hmmm...well you let 16 year olds prepare your food when you go out to eat, don't you?
                            Last edited by Praetorian; 08-12-2005, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dptyrob
                              I think that everyone has some growing up to do in this job when they first start whether they're 18 or 48. But your average 30 year old person has a little bit of a head start over the average 18 year old. The AARP suggestion sounds like that of someone who is a little behind the curve in the maturity department, especially for someone professing to have 7years on the job.
                              No, i'm not behind the curve, I just have a sense of humor...
                              Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Sworn in at 18 in a "on-duty/scope of duties only" paid peace officer job. Small-town cop at 20. Probably lacked the requisite maturity and life experience to do the job well until around 25, when life OUTSIDE work had sufficiently kicked me. Yet, somehow was hired, passed FTO, received favorable performance reviews, worked proactively, and did just fine, thank you.

I'd prefer to work with someone who's reasonably sharp on tactics and law, possesses decent interpersonal skills, doesn't take themselves too seriously, and likes to actually do cop work. I prefer to not work with a-holes, slugs, whiners, leg-riders, or cops who otherwise create more problems than they solve. I refuse to work with liars.

But within those rather broad parameters, I don't care whether you're male, female, black, white, Asian, transplanted from the Ursa Minor system, big, small, 20 years old or on the back side of 50. My working presumption is that you deserve to be there. Prove me wrong, and we're done.. but until then, I'll work with you. Yes, even infants of 18 or 19.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4340 users online. 302 members and 4038 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X