Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so what happens when the 18/19/20 year old police officer has to go into a bar on a call? Wouldn't he/she be breaking the law just by entering the bar? I'm sure that there's a "line-of-duty" exemption, but it still makes me go "hmmm..."

Comment

Originally posted by beer cop
      so what happens when the 18/19/20 year old police officer has to go into a bar on a call? Wouldn't he/she be breaking the law just by entering the bar? I'm sure that there's a "line-of-duty" exemption, but it still makes me go "hmmm..."
      You know, I don't know what statute says. But If a 20 year old officer was my partner and the doorman tried to stop us, I would get in his face. I might be wrong but I would not let that happen.

I am sure there is something that says an on-duty police officer, on offical business is exempt.

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
        The college requirement should keep an 18 year old from getting hired. In FL the state law is 19 years of age, but I have yet to see it happen.
        We have a 19 year old deputy at our department.

Comment

I wouldn't hire an 18 year old to wash my car much less be a cop.

Comment

my agency hire's 19 and 20 yr old all the time,
            we have deputies..now 44, 45 yrs old, now with 25 yrs in doing the drop.
            if ya get 10 19 yrs that apply, maybe 1 will shine,,,,,
            they shine even better after 22.
            " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
            " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by cwillis0001
              I wouldn't hire an 18 year old to wash my car much less be a cop.
              I hope a 18 yr old cop pulls you over and cites you!!

Comment

18 when I went to the academy 19 when I graduated on the street with full police powers, handling calls, and workin the midnighter. 23 now with 4 years on the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                  You know, I don't know what statute says. But If a 20 year old officer was my partner and the doorman tried to stop us, I would get in his face. I might be wrong but I would not let that happen.

I am sure there is something that says an on-duty police officer, on offical business is exempt.
                  I agree - although I would think the "underaged" LEO would be capable of handling his own business, eh?

Either way, I'm sure there are exemptions in place. Let's not forget Reserve Officers/Deputies and Explorers - I would assume they are allowed to enter any location any other police officer would enter.

As for 18 year olds washing cars - I used to have a detailing business while in high school/college. I'd done it pretty much from when I was 15 until around 20 or so. Some cars were $250 jobs....

Comment

I was hired at 19 as a cop in Central Florida. My old department regularly hired 19 year olds right out of the academy who spent several years before going elsewhere. Also the military routinely enlists 17-19 year olds and makes them cops.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by gogeter
                      Two friends of mine were hired by Detroit at 18, both now having 6 yrs on. One is trying to get on with Atlanta who will give him 5yrs and their retirement is 20 yrs..........Can you say retired at 39 yrs old????????
                      Not to hijack this or anything, but Atlanta's retirement is not that great. We're vested at 15 years with a 3% per year multiplier (with a cap of 80%), but the retirement age is 55. Anything under 55 incurs substantial age penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerland
                        Those are the minimum requirements for the entire state. The important word is minimum.

To steal some lines from another forum...

Hey, why do all of the rivers in Wisconsin flow to the South? It's because Illinois sucks. What's the best thing to come out of Illinois? I-90.
                        I never heard those when I was living in Jefferson County, but they are darn funny!
                        " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

Minimum age here is 18, too.

I first raised my hand when I was 19. Chief I worked under was 21, who started his career at the age of 19, too. I started initially doing my college internship, but they hired me part time to fill in for an Officer who was on medical leave.

Also during my college days, I went to school with a guy who was a Conservation Officer in the county, who was all of 18. He openly joked that he was old enough to be a cop, but not old enough to buy his gun. His Mom had to buy it for him!

However, this is not usually the norm. Most cities require you to be at least 21.
                          Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

O.k... I will start off my saying I was 22 when hired and entered the Academy. I work in the 7th largest city in the Country and have been a cop for almost 8 years. I felt like I had a good grasp on reality and life. I was a college graduate, I was newly married and had held the same job for the last 5 years (working full-time and going to school fulltime). I felt I was young for the job, routinely partnering with cops who were averaging 30-35yrs old. The oldest guy in my academy was 46. The youngest had turned 21 right before the academy.

In California, you have to be at least 20.5yrs at the time you enter the Academy as the minimum length is 6 months for training. This is because you can not own a handgun when younger then 21yrs old.

As much as I knew I wanted to be a police officer at 18, I feel that is too young. In retrospect I think 25 yrs should be the minimum age for officers. I think you change so much doing this job that the more life experience you have (age brings wisdom) the better you adjust to this job. I look at new officers who come on at 21, 22, 23 (born in 1983 ) and I see a lot of immature, cocky and brazen officers (male and female). I look back and realize I was that same A-hole rookie who knew everything and wanted to show you how much I knew.

Easier said than done since I did benefit from getting on early....

Scrubb
                            “You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm.”

Comment

I know that many places you CAN be a sworn officer at the age of 18. BUT, I think that 99.9% of people lack the life experience and maturity to be a good officer by that young age. For the minority that do have what it takes, they face the additional challenge of not being taken seriously by the people that they encounter on the job. That is a signifigant challenge regardless of the skill/maturity (or lack thereof) of the officer in question. I'd say most people that start on the job that young work in very small agencies where not a whole lot happens and where there aren't a whole lot of equally or more qualified people beating down the door to get hired.

Comment

Originally posted by dptyrob
                                I know that many places you CAN be a sworn officer at the age of 18. BUT, I think that 99.9% of people lack the life experience and maturity to be a good officer by that young age. For the minority that do have what it takes, they face the additional challenge of not being taken seriously by the people that they encounter on the job. That is a signifigant challenge regardless of the skill/maturity (or lack thereof) of the officer in question. I'd say most people that start on the job that young work in very small agencies where not a whole lot happens and where there aren't a whole lot of equally or more qualified people beating down the door to get hired.
                                Very good point.

In spite of my break, I sure had some eye opening encounters, and had to learn a lot real fast.

You're right about not being taken seriously. Just had to be tactful, control my temper, and if that didn't work, cart their butt off to jail for Interference or Disorderly Conduct!

One small city nearby hired a 20 year old with no other experience whatsoever. Don't know if it's because he's a Marine(Reserve)(Chief thinks if you're a MARINE, you're everything[no offense to those of you who are USMC past or present]), or if it's because the Chief likes to hire these young studly dudes, give them commando style uniforms, and send them out in glory to make them not realize they are being paid peanuts, or because that 20 year old was dating the Mayor's daughter at the time, and eventually married her.

A friend(and former co-worker) of mine runs a tow truck service in the town. He has had more trouble with that little arrogant, badge heavy, cock strutting cop than with the rest of the force combined. Friend does impounds for the city, and has a small impound lot. He tries to maintain a good rapport with the PD, but that little hot shot is pushing it.

To each their own, I guess.
                                Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3271 users online. 222 members and 3049 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X