300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit disappointed in need of LEO advice

I just failed the PAT test for one of our non-civil service PDs here in Mass. I did the the 1.5 mile run, situps, push ups, and Illinois agility test with very little difficulty. When it came time to bench press 190lbs(my body weight) I sorta dropped the ball. I did it incorrectly and was DQed.

How did many of you LEO deal with your earlier disappointments? I'm a bit worried because I'm 28 years old. The age limit I believe is 32, at least that's what I think it is in MA. On a positive note I report for my first drill with National Guards on 09/16/05.

Originally posted by IloveAmerica
    I just failed the PAT test for one of our non-civil service PDs here in Mass. I did the the 1.5 mile run, situps, push ups, and Illinois agility test with very little difficulty. When it came time to bench press 190lbs(my body weight) I sorta dropped the ball. I did it incorrectly and was DQed.

How did many of you LEO deal with your earlier disappointments? I'm a bit worried because I'm 28 years old. The age limit I believe is 32, at least that's what I think it is in MA. On a positive note I report for my first drill with National Guards on 09/16/05.
    Well, if you get to age 32 and you haven't been hired in the most that whacko state of yours, come to California because as whacko as we are, we're not as bad as a state of Kennedys, Kerrys and Dukakis.

We had a guy in the academy a few after mine that was 56 years old (retired Marine Colonel) when he came on.
    "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

I stand/sit corrected. Not all PDs in MA have that age limit restriction. I recall Delta specifically pointing various depts that took you as long as you passed the Physical.

Is corrections a good stepping stone for police officer? I think I have a pretty good shot with the MA D.O.C. I'm sheduled to take their PAT this thursday. It's ridiculous easy. I probably couldn't fail it if I tried.

Comment

IMO Corrections is not that great a stepping stone into becoming a police officer, unless you're doing it at the jail. Dept of Corrections and County Corrections are totally different ballgames, brother. And let me tell you from experience, Dept of Corrections pays decent but it is a tough game. I've done both. Stick to County Corrections if possible!! (P.S....there's a reason you 'couldn't fail the test' if you tried!)

Comment

Alright somewhat off topic, somewhat on topic question I'm in the hiring process for a PD, I've already done the written exam, written essay, oral board, Agility test, poly, and my BI has started today, when should I expect to take the PAT? I don't seem to see it on my "required steps" list, it does mention a that I must pass a thorough "Investigation to include background and physical fitness"....

Or is PAT a some departments do it, some don't thing.....

Comment

We do not have to bench press here.
            In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

I'd say that if you are that far into the process, you will not have to take a PAT. Why go to the expense of a BI after the Polygraph if you can't pass the physical agility.

Kentucky's PAT called POPS (Peace Officer Professional Standards) is done first. After you pass POPS phase 1 (physical test = 1.5 mile run, 300 yd sprint, pushups, situps, benchpress (65% body weight)). Applicants that pass phase 1 are further screened and those you are interested in take phase 2, which is the polygraph and the suitability study.

My agency doesn't do a written test, just interviews with the applicants, and schedule them for POPS phase 1. Those that pass phase 1 are further screened, background started and scheduled for phase 2. When the results of the background and suitability are received, a conditional job offer is made and a drug screen given. If they pass the drug screen, they are officially offered a job and scheduled for the police academy.

Comment

Originally posted by curlyblue
                IMO Corrections is not that great a stepping stone into becoming a police officer, unless you're doing it at the jail. Dept of Corrections and County Corrections are totally different ballgames, brother. And let me tell you from experience, Dept of Corrections pays decent but it is a tough game. I've done both. Stick to County Corrections if possible!! (P.S....there's a reason you 'couldn't fail the test' if you tried!)
                I disagree, at least for Massachusetts. The DOC pays well, plus you can roll over your time towards your retirement with most PD's. The state DOC is also merit-based; if you pass the test and the background/PAT, you get hired. The various sheriff's departments are a haven of political patronage, it matters a lot more how much money you contributed to the sheriff's campaign, and how much *** you kiss, than anything else.
                Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

You are right about the various agencies there. There is a list of towns and cities that can (cannot ) accept the age limt requirement and I believe its based on receiving fed grant money thru The Cops program because smaller towns like Spencer the officers are chosen by the selectmen. Some towns/cities require residency such as Boston. Worcester has no age requirement but residency is required.The Civil Service list also entails a protected group (Veterans) who only have to score a 70 on the exam and if you are not a vet and you score 100, the vets get the preference. State Police is 32 regardless of being a vet or not..Norfolk is hiring back to back(Va) with no age limit but the union and politics sucks!! I think any city or town that receives fed funding can hire over 32 but check the residency requirements..check with Civil Service @ 1 Ashburton Place Boston,Ma
                  Last edited by jcallen12003; 08-07-2005, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Fortunately for you the bench press is one of the easiest things to improve on. Now if you were 5 minutes too slow on the run that would be a different story.

Hit the weights if that is your last hurdle in the PAT. It's been about a 100 years for me so refresh my memory- you only have to bench your weight once, correct? Are you using free weights or a machine for the test?
                    Last edited by BrickCop; 08-07-2005, 09:48 PM.
                    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Don't get discouraged. When I worked at the SO I failed the PAT to get into the academy the first time around (my weakness was the run). I worked out 5 days every week (running for 3 days) and in about 6 to 8 months I passed. I was about 26 at the time, also. If I can do it, you can do it. You just have to want it bad enough. I knew guys at the SO who were so out of shape when they started that they had to work out for a couple of years to pass the PAT and were older than I. But I have much respect for them because the worked out relentlessly almost every day for 2 years because they wanted it bad enough. If you want it bad enough, you'll get it. If you successed, success is yours. If you fail, the failure is yours, and yours alone.

I'm now 30 and since I've started on bicycle patrol with my current agency, I don't know how good of in shape I'm in, but I feel great. I'm truely fortunate to have a job that pays me to excercise.
                      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

I just found out that the SC State Troopers can't find enough qualified candidates and they recently had to start an Academy class that usually has 100 with less than 50... and 8 of those quit within the first 4 weeks. Apparently our state is a bit lacking in finding motivated people to guard our tar.
                        Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                        Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Originally posted by Creeker
                          I just found out that the SC State Troopers can't find enough qualified candidates and they recently had to start an Academy class that usually has 100 with less than 50... and 8 of those quit within the first 4 weeks. Apparently our state is a bit lacking in finding motivated people to guard our tar.

I have a friend who is Denver PD ....started out in Macon, GA and said the south has a hard time finding people to be cops (due to lack of good candidates and the pay) Would you say that is accurate?

Comment

I'd say that in several areas of my state the pay is a definite and the candidates a possibility.
                            Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                            Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                            Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Originally posted by BS_CJ
                              I have a friend who is Denver PD ....started out in Macon, GA and said the south has a hard time finding people to be cops (due to lack of good candidates and the pay) Would you say that is accurate?
                              Macon PD's pay & benefits suck, and Middle Georgia's economy is not great right now because of some industry pull-outs.

The highest paying LE jobs in the state (other than federal positions) are in metro Atlanta.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6285 users online. 347 members and 5938 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X