300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What else can I do?

So I've been taking a self-inventory lately to see where I can not only improve myself in general, but also as a future LE applicant. I have been doing several things that I think would help round me out as an applicant. In outline format, these are:

-Working in a non-sworn capacity for the local police department as a student assistant. This involves operating a radio using proper procedure, interacting with dispatch, police officers and the general public (primarily students at various levels of intoxication). It also includes writing reports, parking tickets and observing and reporting other activities around the city such as DUI's and 415's. We're required to learn the city layout, radio codes, and a few municipal codes, penal codes and vehicle codes.

-Working towards a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Information Systems. In addition to this, taking additional uppder division English classes.

-Working another part-time job as a intramural sports supervisor on campus. I have been with the organization for three years (just got promoted).

-Participating in some community service projects such as Habitat for Humanity.

-Researching some of the departments I am interested in by reading their websites and talking to officers from these departments.

-Staying out of trouble by obeying traffic and criminal laws.

-Maintaining a good (well very limited) credit rating.

-Increasing my physical fitness level.

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. What else can I do to improve my desirability to a law enforcement agency? I'm 21 years old right now, will be applying when I am 22 but I have some stupid things in my backgroud that I'm trying to make up for. I also figure that my age will also work against me when competing with other applicants, especially those who've served in the military.

I already passed a limited BI with the PD I am working for now, so I'm not sure how much weight that will have when I apply for a sworn position.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Monty

P.S. I do not mind if civilians post in this thread, as long as they keep it on topic.
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Get a girlfriend and your all set!!!

Just kidding with you. Sounds like you have dne quite abit already. The biggest things are staying out of trouble with LE and since your at it, completing your degree. The other things youare doing add to your character and show any BI that you are mature enough to handle situations on your own.

In a highly competitive department you will run into "military experience" and older applicants with "life experience" or "job experience". (Not to say you won't in smaller departments cause you will but I'm talking in bigger numbers) Don't let that discourage you in any way. You are young! Most in your age group are not getting ready to embark on a LE career. Most are "finding their way". Your maturity will carry you a long way. Most cops start out around 24-25 years old. (not a stat) Not to say that some don't start earlier. In academy class we had a kid who turned 21 three days before we started. You'll get crap but HELL you have a job, and you'll retire before most of us!

Your on the right track. Don't burn yourself out. Enjoy your time as a civilian. Stay out of trouble and plan on applying 6 months to 1 year ahead of graduating.

Comment

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, on paper anyway. Everyone has something they are not proud of. The thing is, from the time you are old enough to make a decsion you're going to be accountable for it in a law enforcement career. By your post it sounds like you are on the right track....And nothing personal because I don't know you, I'm just speaking in generalities....some people can do "all the right things" and still not be LE material.

Comment

Only thing I can think of is protect your health & stay in shape because everything else looks great so far. Work out to build muscle and run to help with endurance etc.

Comment

Thanks for the input. CarCop, I figure I know I have youth as a disadvantage so I have to fight that much harder in the process.

curly, no offense taken. I certainly understand what you are saying, which is one of the reasons I applied for the non-sworn position, to see if I would fit in the LE world. So far it seems good, but we'll see how it goes. Worse comes to worse, I'll have a Business degree to fall back on.

Bodie, PT'ing will be the biggest thing for me, just need to keep on it!

Thanks for the solid advice.

Monty
          Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5619 users online. 319 members and 5300 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X