300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From civilian to cop

What changes did you notice in yourself as you made the transition from a civilian to a cop? Good or bad, I'm just curious as to how this profession can change a persons views and behavior.

I am going through that transition as we speak. The academy prepared me for some of it, expect to lose your friends, which I have lost a few now that I am hired. (Guess I should probably run them! ) Expect to have your sleep jacked up, not a problem always was anyway.

The MOST difficult one for me is, I thought my spouse of 15 years could handle it, I thought I had support, maybe I do, he still says so, but it is WAY different that wifey runs off to the PD now and not the office. I am certain my attitude has changed, I mean c'mon, I will not take **** from anyone, never really did, but now my life depends on it! I guess the hard heart syndrome is probably showing more now too. If I am going to do this job to the best of my capabilities, then I can't break down and cry on scene of a child abuse, etc. I need to be hard for that so I can bust *** and put the POS away and be a "hero" for that child. (I use the term "hero" because for children that is what we are trained at my PD to do, be their hero, make them trust the system, and help make them whole again.)

Sorry that was long!
    When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

Now I always like to sit where I can see the door in a restaurant. It's hard to not pay attention to people when you go into a room, or someone new comes in you are constantly "sizing people up."

After some years dealing with idiots all day it's easy to lose patience for stupid people and situations. Show me someone who has been a copfor 20 years with alot of patience and I'll be impressed. Don't get me wrong, not all mean old bastards, but try to tell a veteran cop a looong story and keep going off point and boring him. He will not humor you.

Comment

Cynical of everyone.
        "The policeman is sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for he will will have you punished. He is sent by God for that very purpose" - Rom 13:4

Comment

cop head

Well after 24 years I can honestly say I am:
          Less patient with the normal dumb***
          More patient with my kids and grandkids
          See less good in the average person
          CANNOT eat in a restaurant with my back to the door
          CANNOT stop at a stop light and let a car come up beside me
          Wake up fighting every now and then from scraps I've been in that I remember
          Despise some of the gangsta attire and attitudes by the younger crowd that think its cool
          Believe 90% of what I see and hear and nothing I am told
          Appreciate a true day off with no phone and no radio
          Get up each day and thank God I am still in one piece to do what I love
          Cultivate and work on my survival mentality
          Realize how precious life is after you see people at their worst......

Other than that I'm completely normal

Comment

good one +1

Originally posted by 72na55
            Well after 24 years I can honestly say I am:
            Less patient with the normal dumb***
            More patient with my kids and grandkids
            See less good in the average person
            CANNOT eat in a restaurant with my back to the door
            CANNOT stop at a stop light and let a car come up beside me
            Wake up fighting every now and then from scraps I've been in that I remember
            Despise some of the gangsta attire and attitudes by the younger crowd that think its cool
            Believe 90% of what I see and hear and nothing I am told
            Appreciate a true day off with no phone and no radio
            Get up each day and thank God I am still in one piece to do what I love
            Cultivate and work on my survival mentality
            Realize how precious life is after you see people at their worst......

Other than that I'm completely normal
            ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
            -- John Wayne

Comment

I can't stand in front of door when I knock. Even if I go to visit my parents. It just feels too open and vulnerable.

I can't stand with my gun side toward someone.

I can't keep anything in my gun hand that could be carried in my weak hand.

I can't pull up beside someone; I have to be slightly behind them.

My kids can't get away with lying anymore.

Comment

one more

Originally posted by jakflak
                I can't stand in front of door when I knock. Even if I go to visit my parents. It just feels too open and vulnerable.

I can't stand with my gun side toward someone.

I can't keep anything in my gun hand that could be carried in my weak hand.

I can't pull up beside someone; I have to be slightly behind them.

My kids can't get away with lying anymore.
                ALL good ones

One more: Cannot talk to someone without watching their hands. Oh and the best one......

can't drive 55

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

Those are interesting. Does your family ever wonder what you're doing when one of these habits come out or do they pretty much know the deal?

I've heard the "I can never sit with my back to the door" thing but never about not being able to pull up next to a car, it makes sense though.

Besides becoming more cynical, how has your thinking changed?

Comment

Originally posted by cc26
                    Besides becoming more cynical, how has your thinking changed?
                    Mine didn't change too much, I am still cynical and leary of EVERYONE! I just add into the thought now "oh it's a meth head" or "oh look at the petty thief".
                    She wants someone to call her angel, Someone to put the light back in her eyes...

In honor of: Cpl Chad Powell USMC Killed In Action Fallujah, Iraq June 23, 2005

Comment

Alittle different NOT

I have 19yrs as a cop I did change beside the normal things (back to the door etc) I dont look at the world the same and my family knows it. I was with a women for 5yrs and at least once a month she would lie, I sent her packing, I get lied to at work and I can live with that not when I'm off.

Comment

My dad says I have become more of a jerk and the cop look does not work on him...whatever that means. I was a person who wouldn't gravitate too much towards conflict...now I tend to instigate it in conversations. I am constantly surveying my surroundings looking for threats. I think most everyone are up to no good, lying, and have ulterior motives for everything they do.

Overall, it has done nothing but deteroriate my opinion of mankind. To say that we're getting better everyday in everyway is one of the biggest lies I've ever heard!

That's just a few ways it's changed me.

Comment

One thing that you will notice over time; you will be able to be in a croud of thousands of people and instantly pick out who is a cop. I don't know why. Sometimes I meet someone somewhere and they say during the conversation, "how long ya been on the job?" and I say, "19 and you?". Neither knowing we were cops.
                          Don't hurt nobody, unless they need hurtin'.

Comment

Last edited by Frank Booth; 04-22-2007, 03:03 PM.

Comment

That's funn, I got fatter too, then I got laid off and got skinny, then got hired and started to get fatter again.
                              Don't hurt nobody, unless they need hurtin'.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4469 users online. 298 members and 4171 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X