300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview DWI question?

I just had an interview last week and why ask if. If I pulled over the chiefs/ sheriffs wife and she was drunk, what would you do? I said I would call a Sgt. and take her to jail. Than they ask what if the Sgt. told you to take her home? I stated I would talk to the LT. and so on, to make sure she would go to jail, and a dui you should make no exceptions who it is. Then they came back saying everyone said to take her home, and then what do you do? I stated that would most likely have to take her home, but I made my point on trying to have her put on jail. I was giving a lot of heat for this answer. What would you guys gals do if asked this question in an interview?

Last edited by killa75dt; 07-18-2005, 05:01 AM.
    Deputy Sheriff

Oh hell, they'll hammer you for whatever answer you give...that's the point, to see if you stick to your guns and what logic you use. BUT, my answer would have been to do what the sergeant told me to do. One, they are your supervisor and once they tell you to do something, the liability is off of you. Second, in most states arrests are at the officer's discretion. Let's face it, those with any degree of power are afforded certain courtesies. Even though the Chief would not have been facing a charge, he would have suffered the hardship nonetheless...hence, you would afford her just as much professional courtesy as you would the Chief...else they find a reason to fire you.

Is it unfair and unjust? Hell yeah! But that's the way it is in 99% of situations out there.

Comment

I'm not sure how it works in the LE world, but in the military we expect our subordinates to do as they are told. If I tell a lower ranking individual to do something I take the blame if it's a bad decision. The thing is, I would not tell any of my subordinates to do anything I wouldnt do. I would probably want to take old girl to jail too, but as soon as my Sgt says otherwise it's off my shoulders and the Sgt bears the responsibility.
      Minimum effort yeilds minimal results

Comment

I'd tell the Sgt to **** off (but with a polite 'sir' in there somewhere). In Alaska, once someone's under arrest only a judge or magistrate can release them. It doesn't matter what the Sgt says, he doesn't have the authority to release and neither do I.

Comment

That's one of the favorite "stress questions" during interviews. Having the sergeant/lieutenant telling you to take them home is a new twist, the interviewers usually say there is no supervisor available, so you have to make the call.

Your situation is easy.....you do whatever the supervisor tells you to do, as you're following a lawful order. The only time it would get fuzzy is if it was a mandated arrest situation (such as domestic violence), and I don't know any agency that has mandated arrest for drunk driving.
          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Just out of curiousity... why do you feel that she should go to jail no matter what?
            In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

hey I had the exact question put on me during my interview but instead of a police officer it was a town selectman. My answer was I would determine if they were O.U.I and if so I would call my shift supervisor or even my chief and ask for there advice to or arrest or not to.My cheif said I answerd perfectly ,they like to know the buddy system works.

Comment

Originally posted by dea118
                hey I had the exact question put on me during my interview but instead of a police officer it was a town selectman. My answer was I would determine if they were O.U.I and if so I would call my shift supervisor or even my chief and ask for there advice to or arrest or not to.My cheif said I answerd perfectly ,they like to know the buddy system works.

This may be stupid but what does O.U.I mean?
                fall down 4 times...get up 5.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak
                  In Alaska, once someone's under arrest only a judge or magistrate can release them. It doesn't matter what the Sgt says, he doesn't have the authority to release and neither do I.
                  Just curious, you can't release and then go application for complaint with the prosecutor?

How about if you make a probable cause arrest of someone on a Friday night only to find out an hour later you got the wrong guy. Does he have to stay in jail until court opens up on Monday, even though you know he is the wrong person?

Surely Alaskan law provides you with some discretion after an arrest is made.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

i agree, they want to make sure you are not wishy washy, unless your answer is an obvious violation of the law, stick with it, remember if you dont have previous le experience they arent going to expect you to know the answers as an leo would, they want to see if you can articulate things and stick with it,,those situations any answer is wrong and they will mess with you.

Comment

Originally posted by beano00
                      I'm not sure how it works in the LE world, but in the military we expect our subordinates to do as they are told. If I tell a lower ranking individual to do something I take the blame if it's a bad decision. The thing is, I would not tell any of my subordinates to do anything I wouldnt do. I would probably want to take old girl to jail too, but as soon as my Sgt says otherwise it's off my shoulders and the Sgt bears the responsibility.

That's a negative on your last. As per the UCMJ a subordinate reserves the right to refuse an "Unlawful order". However, if the order is lawful it must be carried out, period. Questions regarding the order may only be asked after it has been carried out.

Comment

Do what the Sgt says....

If he wasn't available, book her into jail. If you work for a big dept, the Chief doesn't affect you day to day anyway and any reprecussions would be met by the POA attorneys. If you work for a small rural dept, the chief can probably pull some strings if he wanted anyway and get her off.
                        "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
                          Just curious, you can't release and then go application for complaint with the prosecutor?

How about if you make a probable cause arrest of someone on a Friday night only to find out an hour later you got the wrong guy. Does he have to stay in jail until court opens up on Monday, even though you know he is the wrong person?

Surely Alaskan law provides you with some discretion after an arrest is made.
                          No, once he's arrested only the judge or magistrate can let them go. However, in Alaska someone also has the right to go before the judge within 24 hours. If they're arrested Friday night, they'll be released Saturday morning or afternoon.

I've only had this happen once (someone arrested who shouldn't have been), and I called the Magistrate at home. She released him over the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by JinXeD
                            This may be stupid but what does O.U.I mean?
                            It's not a stupid question; it means Operating Under the Influence (fancy way of saying DWI).

Comment

Thanks all. sounds like I was 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong. ohwell. I find out in two weeks if I passed I will keep everyone posted. thanks
                              Deputy Sheriff

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3120 users online. 152 members and 2968 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X