300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vehicle legalities for Utah?

I have a jeep and am considering purchasing an aftermarket front bumper for my daily driven rig. I have tried looking through some of the highway patrol books trying to find some information wether or not Utah has any restrictions to bumper modifactions or not.
    The main reason for concern is that the bumper I am looking at is a stinger.

I know that most of the brush guards are acceptable and some of the heavier duty bumpers are not looked at twice, however this one sticks out quite a bit and could (under the right or wrong circumstances) could be potentionally dangerous in the god forbidden event of an accident.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Look at the box it came in. It will clearly say for off road use only not approved by DOT for use on highways etc. Contact maker of bumper and they will tell you same thing they do not want you to sue them if you hit somebody with that huge chunk of metal on the front.

Anytime you modify the safety parts of a vehicle and that includes bumpers you assume a risk of liability also check with your insurance company since many will drop modified vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
      Look at the box it came in. It will clearly say for off road use only not approved by DOT for use on highways etc. Contact maker of bumper and they will tell you same thing they do not want you to sue them if you hit somebody with that huge chunk of metal on the front.

Anytime you modify the safety parts of a vehicle and that includes bumpers you assume a risk of liability also check with your insurance company since many will drop modified vehicles.
      firstly THX for replying with something to say at least. most others have glanced and not given my questions and concerns the time of day. maybe its not worth their time to elorabrate to someone inquiring information about the subject previous to purchasing?

I try to abide by the rules and regulations of the road no matter how riduculas they may seem at times. That being said I ahve not ben able to look at any type of box as I have NOT purchased the bumper.

as for your comment about my insurance company droping me becasue of a modified vehicle. I highly doubt they will drop me as long as I can still pass a state saftey inspection. I think that is obsured to drop someone becasue they have preformed modifactions to a vehicle and it still be deemed operational on the roads by the state rules and regulations.

I know that these vary from state to state, howevermore info from some other states would be appreciated in this matter.

Comment

Have you contacted the Utah DMV about this? I would guess that most people "have not given you the time of day" is because you haven't mentioned whether or not you've done any of your own research on this (aside from looking in some Highway Patrol books).
        Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Not all civilans know where to look for this kind of information. And no I havent contacted the local DMV about this. I am not sure if they would even know. (small town) I was just trying to decode the HP books (mostly lift/lowering laws and regs) as they are prolly going to be the ones that would give me any greif over this modifaction, but couldnt find any viable info about this subject. Figured that most LEO's would at least have an idea on where to look for that kind of thing.
          Last edited by crzystng; 07-17-2005, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I'm just a civilian but common sense to me would dictate actually contacting the state in question's DMV or highway patrol/state police.

In light of O.Com's new rule, this was my last post in here.
            Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3823 users online. 254 members and 3569 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X