Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background question... Yes another one!

Last edited by JKralC104; 11-04-2007, 07:20 PM.

I have seen people with a lot worse than that get hired. The biggest thing is the weed, but being 4 years ago, you may be okay. Good luck.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Instead of starting a new thread I'm going to piggy back off of this one....

The only thing I have that worries me a bit is a speeding ticket (1 of 4) which I received in 1995. I was pulled over for speeding in Ohio while on leave before shipping off to Germany, I think it was for 15 over the speed limit. Anyways I figured I'd take care of it in a few days, no big deal. However I completely forgot about it, shipped to Germany and was deployed to Macedonia (UN Mission), a month or so later I received a letter from my dad with an enclosed letter from area from where I received the ticket (can't remember exactly where it was but it was near the Cincinnati/Dayton area) which was notice of an impending Warrant for an unpaid speeding ticket (pucker factor went to 10), I got in touch with the city and payed the ticket (with extra charges for court fees, etc.). Will this still show on my record after ten years?

Comment

Originally posted by zacrobmer
        Instead of starting a new thread I'm going to piggy back off of this one....

The only thing I have that worries me a bit is a speeding ticket (1 of 4) which I received in 1995. I was pulled over for speeding in Ohio while on leave before shipping off to Germany, I think it was for 15 over the speed limit. Anyways I figured I'd take care of it in a few days, no big deal. However I completely forgot about it, shipped to Germany and was deployed to Macedonia (UN Mission), a month or so later I received a letter from my dad with an enclosed letter from area from where I received the ticket (can't remember exactly where it was but it was near the Cincinnati/Dayton area) which was notice of an impending Warrant for an unpaid speeding ticket (pucker factor went to 10), I got in touch with the city and payed the ticket (with extra charges for court fees, etc.). Will this still show on my record after ten years?
        If you have taken care of the ticket, the warrant should have been recalled. If the warrant was recalled, there will be no record of it.

The *only* time you have a "criminal history" is if you are arrested *AND* FINGERPRINTED. The fingerprinted part is the most important part. The fingerprint cards are what generates the criminal history.
        Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
          If you have taken care of the ticket, the warrant should have been recalled. If the warrant was recalled, there will be no record of it.

The *only* time you have a "criminal history" is if you are arrested *AND* FINGERPRINTED. The fingerprinted part is the most important part. The fingerprint cards are what generates the criminal history.

Good deal, thanks for the quick reply. I have my Poly on monday, then the academy entrance exam, and I'm on my way...

Comment

Originally posted by zacrobmer
            Good deal, thanks for the quick reply. I have my Poly on monday, then the academy entrance exam, and I'm on my way...
            Good luck. Just FYI, if anything is "bothering" you about your past, it will probably show up on the polygraph. Tell the complete truth and if you are concerned about anything, tell your polygraph operator so they can set your mind at ease. When I say something bothering you, you may find a question in the packet that you are not sure how to answer because of something in your past.... If you aren't sure, be sure to ask. The whole reason I don't like the polygraph is because it can be affected by how you perceive things.

Example:

One of the questions they ask sometimes: Have you committed any serious undetected crime?

Well for me, I might think shoplifting is a serious crime. For you, you might think that even robbery is not a "serious" crime. Therefore, our perceptions affect how we reply.
            Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Most states only keep traffic violations on the license record of 5 years, so they probably are not be on your record. You should however, inform the interviewer of the offenses none the less just incase. Ten years is long enought to forgive minor violations.

JKralC104, Juvenile records in most states are sealed and not open to the interviewer. Like above, you should inform the interviewer of the incidents just in case. The military and several agencies are sending letters to the police departments in the cities you have lived asking what kind of person you are and if you have a criminal history or contacts with the police. Always better to be upfront and honest. Plus, not telling could surface as a deception during a polygraph interview.

Good luck to both of you.
              John Ricks

Comment

Yes, another one.

Based on what you posted, I don't see any major problems. You'll have a problem if you don't disclose the issues you've mentioned here. As I've noted many times, we're not looking for saints, simply people who are honest and otherwise qualified for the job.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, guys. You really eased my mind. I guess when you have it running in your head 24/7 you tend to think that you are doomed compared to the guys that never even got a grass stain on their jeans . If and when I have a BI call me for a pre-investigation or interview, I plan on just saying "before we start, I'm going to tell you the things that I am concerned with on my background statement."

I have a copy of my police report from my arrest, all my records from my current employer, letters of recommendation, and every school record from junior high. Not sure whether or not I should take it in and give it to him or let him dig it up for himself.
                  Last edited by JKralC104; 07-15-2005, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I see an issue in the psych part of your testing. At least when I took it one of the questions asked in (what seemed like) 100 different ways was, 'have you ever gotten into trouble because of your sexual tendacies'? That's not verbatem but something to that effect from what I can remember. You might have to explain your answer to the head doc if it shows up as an issue.
                    I think it's a good idea to bring in whatever documents you have...but I don't know about the "before we begin" statement. Too forward. (IMO) Should let them tell you what concerns them and let you explain. (again, IMO)
                    Last edited by curlyblue; 07-18-2005, 05:02 AM.

Comment

I haven't really been in trouble for sexual tendancies. I was just young and curious.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
                        Good luck. Just FYI, if anything is "bothering" you about your past, it will probably show up on the polygraph. Tell the complete truth and if you are concerned about anything, tell your polygraph operator so they can set your mind at ease. When I say something bothering you, you may find a question in the packet that you are not sure how to answer because of something in your past.... If you aren't sure, be sure to ask. The whole reason I don't like the polygraph is because it can be affected by how you perceive things.

Example:

One of the questions they ask sometimes: Have you committed any serious undetected crime?

Well for me, I might think shoplifting is a serious crime. For you, you might think that even robbery is not a "serious" crime. Therefore, our perceptions affect how we reply.
                        AtlCop,
                        Questions like the one you mentioned are relevant questions designed to get a reaction from a deceptive subject. It would be preceded by a control or comparison question such as:
                        Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

I have a good question for you guys. I'm enrolled and going to start the academy August the 15. I already went through my BI with the Police Testing center at my Community College. I told them pretty much everything throughout the packet involving my background. However, I'm one of those people who constantly think of stuff from the past to figure out each and every little thing I did. I'm 20 years old now and I THINK when I was about 15 I might have taken a prescription drug without having a doctor's permission. The thing is, is that I honestly do not remember if I actually took it or not. I say this because I had a little g/f back then and I remember she had a prescription to the drug. I just can not remember to save my life, if I actually took one. I didn't put that into my Biographic packet because I just thought about it a couple weeks ago. So now I'm not sure what I should do next. I have not paid for the academy yet and I don't want to go through and graduate and then have a conditional with a dept. then come to find out I didn't pass the Poly. If someone could give me their opinion on what I should do it would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyJ
                            I have a good question for you guys. I'm enrolled and going to start the academy August the 15. I already went through my BI with the Police Testing center at my Community College. I told them pretty much everything throughout the packet involving my background. However, I'm one of those people who constantly think of stuff from the past to figure out each and every little thing I did. I'm 20 years old now and I THINK when I was about 15 I might have taken a prescription drug without having a doctor's permission. The thing is, is that I honestly do not remember if I actually took it or not. I say this because I had a little g/f back then and I remember she had a prescription to the drug. I just can not remember to save my life, if I actually took one. I didn't put that into my Biographic packet because I just thought about it a couple weeks ago. So now I'm not sure what I should do next. I have not paid for the academy yet and I don't want to go through and graduate and then have a conditional with a dept. then come to find out I didn't pass the Poly. If someone could give me their opinion on what I should do it would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys.
                            What drug are you talking about? It must be something pretty bad if you are claiming that you don
                            Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyJ

Iunderstand what you

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5034 users online. 330 members and 4704 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X