300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise: Harley's vs. Civics

I had a question to officers regarding the noise laws for vehicles. I've noticed a lot of Honda's and generally cars bought by younger, less wealthy individuals pulled over on the side of the road. I've spoken to many friends who have been pulled over by the police, the reason given is that their exhaust is too loud. Now I would have to say that the loudest vehicles on the road today are motorcycles. Often times one will pull up next to me at a light and I can barely stand the noise of the engine even idling. However, I have never in my life seen a motorcycle pulled over.

My question is, is the noise law only for cars or does it apply to motorcycles as well? And if the law is the same for both, why do you think owners of Hondas are hassled for this more than owners of bikes?

BTW- Some might think that since this is my first post I am here to start trouble. This isn't the case. I am an educated man with the utmost respect for the law. This thought just crossed my mind today and I thought I'd ask.

oklahoma, any device on a motor vehicle to increase or amplify exhaust = illegal,,, bikes over cars,,,dont know, may cause there are more cars than bikes,,just the odds thing, but i dont know i hadnt thought about it before.

Comment

I don't know where you've been driving but I've seen many a Hog pulled over in the city, not many on the Hwy though. I think it is a safety issue on the hwy and they are safer being as noisy as they are. Usually the Hogs drive respectfully and don't mess with other drivers while the Hondas drive like bloddy idiots and deserve more than noise tickets, they deserve their DL yanked. I think you might be mistaken on their relative wealth though. Most of the drivers I see driving these cars are rich kids, not poor but my commute is through Orange County.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

very true,,they tend to drive llike they are in a grand prix race

Comment

Well, I'm in San Bernardino, CA. Most of the population is raking in less than $35,000 a year. I know the odds thing makes a big difference. I guess what I'm getting at is the issue of the exhaust. I know it's not your fault as an officer, but I think the law makes no sense. Maybe if they had a decibal level set I could see. But saying that individuals can't modify their cars seems petty to me.

Comment

i drive a 59 Galaxie with dual glass packs coming from a 390, but then i live 12 miles north of a village of 80 people so i dont disturb the peace a heck of a lot with it :-p only time the thing sees a city is when i take it to my Gfs and thats a short trek through a highway that goes through a town so again, not a lot of peace disturbed, never been pulled over for exhaust on it

Comment

Originally posted by Rook
              Well, I'm in San Bernardino, CA. Most of the population is raking in less than $35,000 a year. I know the odds thing makes a big difference. I guess what I'm getting at is the issue of the exhaust. I know it's not your fault as an officer, but I think the law makes no sense. Maybe if they had a decibal level set I could see. But saying that individuals can't modify their cars seems petty to me.
              because 1- it changes the pollutants your car/bike emitts 2- thats where officer descretion comes in but obviously if you make it loud, and drive the **** out of it = you get attention

Comment

im not entirly sure but if they leave catylitic converter on it shouldnt change the pollutants should it?

Comment

i believe so,,, , so i was told, something about the final emisson, but mostly to quit them down, but a lot of the bikes (harleys) and others take off the converter as well, it restricts air outflow,and thats the point of "performance exhaust",,not all do, but it only cost about 20 - 30 $ to put in a straight pipe in there. ive never seen a harley without straight pipes.

Comment

yeah i know alot take it off but was just wondering, i know its illegal to remove the converter unless like my car it didnt come with it

Comment

Last edited by LEO968; 02-17-2012, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Angry bee sounding cars are a pet peeve of mine. They get more attention from me then a harley.
                        Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
                        --------------------
                        This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

i agree about annoyance :-p

Comment

i agree, weed whackers on wheels deserve special attention and many many more tickets

Comment

Originally posted by Rook
                              I've noticed a lot of Honda's and generally cars bought by younger, less wealthy individuals pulled over on the side of the road. I've spoken to many friends who have been pulled over by the police, the reason given is that their exhaust is too loud.

My question is, is the noise law only for cars or does it apply to motorcycles as well? And if the law is the same for both, why do you think owners of Hondas are hassled for this more than owners of bikes?
                              The first thought that comes to mind is why do you assume most vehicles owned by younger, less wealthy individuals that have been pulled over were stopped for noise violations?

FWIW, it's been my experience that vehicles operated by younger, less wealthy individuals tend to commit more traffic violations in general, hence more traffic stops on people in those categories.
                              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3407 users online. 174 members and 3233 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X