300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ques - Diversion and dismissal

Here is the situation - I was arrested in 1/98 for posession of marijuana (misdemeanor), I was then refered to diversion, which I completed. The charge was dismissed upon my completion of diversion, which was 10/99.

My question is: when asked if I have ever been convicted of any criminal offense should I say yes or no? After all I was charged with the misdeameanor but it was dismissed. I would assume that this does not count as a conviciton, but I want to keep my *** covered, since what I am applying for is within law enforcement; I am not sure how they would view my response if I said no.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Well, it was dismissed so you never were convicted, put that down. You also will have to list any arrests/detentions and that is where you will put down that you received diversion.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Most of the time, they won't ask for just convictions, just arrests. Definately refer to the incident as an arrest. The military and some employers will send a questionairre to the police department in the towns you lived and ask if you were in their system. If you say no, and one of the agencies say yes, there may be honesty issues. That might also reflect on a polygraph question.
      If your fingerprints were taken when you were arrested, a check of AFIS will show an arrest also, so like above, a failure to answer truthfully.
      Your proper response on those questions should be:Arrested for Poss. Marijuana (name of police agency) 1/98 completed diversion program and charge was dismissed.
      Hope that helps.
      Last edited by jricks; 07-13-2005, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I guess I was a bit unclear, but my point was made by jricks.

Point of fact, I listed when the officer came to my house and told me to turn down my radio as a detention on my app.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

On the apps I have worked on, the question isn't just arrests, it asks you to list all 'Contacts with law enforcement personnel'

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I have just been listing it on apps to cover my ***. I was just double checking to see if it is nescessary.

Most apps do in fact say 'all contacts with law enforcement," however I have come across two agencies that only have requested convicitions but they are for pre-screening apps for the official apps (if that makes sense). It is another way to make sure you meet the minimum standards before they give you the official application and let you take the written exam.

Once again, thanks for the help!

Comment

Are we talking about a civilian job or a cop job? I'll give you two different answers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2968 users online. 148 members and 2820 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X