300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters Degree?

aLOT OF PEOPLE TELL ME THAT OVERQUALIFICATION FOR A JOB CAN SEND A WRONG MESSAGE.. HOW USEFUL WOULD A MASTERS DEGREE BE IN L.E?
    Smile and Wait for Flash

In my opinion a masters degree is useless as an officer. After you have been on for a long time and made it to Sgt and want to go higher, then a masters would be of help.

oh....and please STOP YELLING. Turn off you caps lock.
    Last edited by JHoek; 07-13-2005, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JHoek
      In my opinion a masters degree is useless as an officer. After you have been on for a long time and made it to Sgt and want to go higher, then a masters would be of help.

oh....and please STOP YELLING. Turn off you caps lock.
      WOULD IT NOT ASSIST IN ADVANCEMENT OR IS IT ONLY AND SOLELY BASED ON RANK/PERFORMANCE?
      Smile and Wait for Flash

Comment

Your caps lock key is the 3rd key up on the left side of the keyboard, press it. What is it with these kids and inability to use the shift keys?

Yes, it will help with advancement in the long run but you could get it while working and end up with more years on the dept. and therefore a bigger retirement.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
          Your caps lock key is the 3rd key up on the left side of the keyboard, press it. What is it with these kids and inability to use the shift keys?

Yes, it will help with advancement in the long run but you could get it while working and end up with more years on the dept. and therefore a bigger retirement.
          But wouldn't that be difficult if one wanted a family? hmm.. Policing, school, family, kids ??? What do u think?
          Smile and Wait for Flash

Comment

Your question wasn't what was easiest. If you want that, get your accounting degree, work your butt off a few months a year doing taxes and skate the rest of the year. LE isn't the easiest on family no matter what your doing. Are you married now? If not, don't worry about it, wait until your 30, work on your career. What do you want, a family and kids at 22 or do you want to be a cop. Put your priorites in order and then make your decision. If you want to get your MS now then do it, plenty have. You could also join the USMC and then be a cop. Don't worry about advancement when you haven't even got the job. You might not want to advance. You'll figure that out later.

Originally posted by WILDWDTOUR
            But wouldn't that be difficult if one wanted a family? hmm.. Policing, school, family, kids ??? What do u think?
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by WILDWDTOUR
              I think if you want it, you do it & stop whining about how hard it is..

Comment

If you want it, get it. I think it will be of little use to you starting out. Unless you want a leg up on the fed side of things. Even then you better consider accounting or law.

IMHO a masters degree will be more meaningful and beneficial to you after you get some real world experience under you belt. Not just in LE, but in the school of hard knocks called life.
                "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

I agree with everyone else, worry about getting the job first. I've never seen an entry-level police job that required a Master's degree, so don't put the cart before the horse.
                  Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I disagree with everyone else here. Get your masters if you are even thinking about it. You will appreciate it in the end. Make sure you get it in something other than police work. You might not hear it often, but this job isn't as great as everyone makes it to be. Many leave for different, or perhaps better, careers after being a cop. If you like the job, your chances for promotion are much greater.

Going to graduate school, family time, and shift work is a lot harder than most people realize. Go to school now, the job will always be there later.

K9

Comment

I agree with K9.... Get it now...

But with the others, Yes it ain't going to do you much, but years down the road you will promote faster..

In alot of large departments you can't promote beyond SGT. until you have your masters degree... This helps weed out the feild alittle bit!
                      ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

Originally posted by K9 Police
                        Going to graduate school, family time, and shift work is a lot harder than most people realize. Go to school now, the job will always be there later.
                        Not necessarily.

In MA, getting a Civil Service PD job has always been like hitting the lottery, and now with thousands more Veterans that are going to start taking the upcoming tests, the job may very well NOT be there later.
                        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Would having a 4 year degree be much better then having a 2 year degree when applying?

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                            Not necessarily.

In MA, getting a Civil Service PD job has always been like hitting the lottery, and now with thousands more Veterans that are going to start taking the upcoming tests, the job may very well NOT be there later.
                            Thats wonderful, but there will always be police officer positions in the future; not necessarily just MA. The job outlook for police officer positions nationwide if very good right now, look at any employment lookout data.

If you want to go for your masters, do it before you get the position. Take an extra year to get through it with some loans and apply near the end. If you start to hate the job, as I have seen many cops do, you will have something to fall back on and go elsewhere. DO NOT GET TRAPPED in this profession; have a fall-out plan in place.

K9

Comment

Originally posted by Conner
                              Would having a 4 year degree be much better then having a 2 year degree when applying?
                              Yes.

K9

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5761 users online. 328 members and 5433 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X