300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Traffic Stops...

Ok, durring a routine traffic stop, once up to the drivers window, do you ask for the license and registration and get the items before informing the person as to why they were pulled over, or do you tell them if they ask before having the license and reg?? Ive heard that its better to get the License and Reg. Before telling the person why you pulled them over, because if they want to start complaining bad talking you, you already have there info, and dont have to fight with them to get it. Just wanted to see what your thoughts on this was.

Originally posted by Merk911
    Ok, durring a routine traffic stop, once up to the drivers window,
    Okay- first off, there's no such thing as a routine traffic stop. Number B, I do passenger side approach. I recommend all officers do this. For one, if it's at night many of the people don't expect it. Secondly, it's tactically more safe. If the driver is planning a shoot out, then they'll have to turn their body almost completely around before engaging. Now, let's continue...

do you ask for the license and registration and get the items before informing the person as to why they were pulled over, or do you tell them if they ask before having the license and reg??
    I'll wait until I have license in hand before telling them why I stopped them. If they ask before giving me their license, I'll tell them. That way if they're wanted for murder or armed robbery they know right away I'm stopping them for a traffic violation.

Ive heard that its better to get the License and Reg. Before telling the person why you pulled them over, because if they want to start complaining bad talking you, you already have there info, and dont have to fight with them to get it. Just wanted to see what your thoughts on this was.
    If they don't produce ID upon demand that's against state law. I've never had anyone refuse to give me identification. If they have it and don't want to give it up then they just lie about not having it then that's another bowl of fruit.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

The STOPS curriculum teaches the officer to:
      1. Greet The Motorist
      2. ID Your Self
      3. Reason For Stop
      4. Ask The Motorist For Justification For Violation
      5. Ask For Driver
      Last edited by Tennsix; 07-13-2005, 01:43 AM.

Comment

After I approach the vehicle, I identify myself and ask for their license and registration. If they ask why I've stopped them I politely tell them I need to get that information from them. If they persist, such as by telling me they'll give me the paperwork when I tell them why I've pulled them over, I let them know about the Connecticut General Statute which prohibits them from refusing to surrender their driver's license.

Once I have their paperwork I tell them why I've pulled them over, and what enforcement action I'll be taking. I'll listen to their explanations/arguments for a polite amount of time, then I ask them to wait in the car and tell them I'll be back in a few minutes. If they want to continue ranting and raving I can walk away from them because I already have their paperwork. It's much better than arguing at the side of the road.
        Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

The first thing you should do is smash out the one or both of the windows of the vehicle. This will get the attention of the driver, and usually the passenger.

At least this is what Bodie told me to do.
          Retired

Comment

Originally posted by retired
            The first thing you should do is smash out the one or both of the windows of the vehicle. This will get the attention of the driver, and usually the passenger.

At least this is what Bodie told me to do.
            Dont forget to throw in 2 flashbangs and 1 cs gas canister before even THINKING about initiating contact with any individuals inside the vehicle...

Comment

It depends on where I have performed the stop. I work alot of neighborhood streets. Officer Friendly goes over a whole lot better there, and I follow the recommended traffic stop outline.

If I even have a hint that something more than traffic violations are going on, I change my tactics appropriatly. I might apporach the passenger side, I might call the driver to me. What ever puts me at the highest tactical advantage. I might have him place his ID on the hood of my car.
              "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

I ID myself, get the license, verify with the driver that everything on the license is correct and current,then explain the reason for the stop. (As if they didn't already know!) We don't require the registration or proof of insurance. I politely remind them to stay in their car, then I write the ticket in mine, and when I go back to their car, I explain their different options to them, ask if they have any queations, and tell them they are free to leave once I'm back safely in my car, and the roadway is safe for them to enter. 99 times out of 100, I'll get a "Thank you" from the driver. The whole thing takes about 10 minutes from start to finish.
                Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

ROUTINE ?????
                  That is a word WE never use.
                  Who says we approach the drivers window ???

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                    ROUTINE ?????
                    That is a word WE never use.
                    Who says we approach the drivers window ???
                    Sit down, relax, this may come as a surprise to you, but some oficers do in fact aproach the drivers side of the vehicle.
                    Retired

Comment

yea, at KDPS, its protocol to approach the drivers side, check the trunk on the way up to the vehicle, and stand just behind the drivers side door, so that if they try and open it, it wont hit you.

Comment

The pasenger side approach is definately safer, but I'm an old dog, and still tend to go to the driver's door. I use the passenger appoach after dark, and ALWAYS with vans or semis. I hope to get in the habit of using the passenger side all of the time. New tricks, damn!
                        Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

oh and as for the "Routine" word...sorry, i know i shouldnt have used it. I know theres no such thing as "routine." I guess i should have put non- Felony Stops.

Comment

I typically approach the drivers side window 99.99% of the time. I would approach passenger side only if my *** would be out in traffic for some reason. If there is someone in the back seat I approach the rear drivers side window and talk to the driver form there, that way I can see all occupants in the vehicle. I have them pass all info to the rear occupant then out the rear window.

I'm sure others feel their way is better or safer and we could debate this all day, but lets be honest there is no 100% SAFE way to approach a stopped vehicle. My way works for me and it has saved my *** a few times so I feel confident in it.

Comment

NOT A COP

If I were to get pulled over, and if I have tinted windows or not I would turn my interior light on so he can see where my hands our at all times. Also, whatever makes him feel more safe is a big thing I believe.

Is there anything else you would suggest?

Also, someone said they bring the customer back to there car, do you search them or not.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5483 users online. 325 members and 5158 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X