Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tough Situation

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tough Situation

    Ok here is a tough one. I'm 22 years old and I've always wanted to be a cop since I was a child. Where I live there many agencies that I could work for.( Local, County, State, DEP, MTA or NYPD.

    [B]Whats the the tough one?[/B]

    Two years ago I was assaulted by a police officer in my town. I ended up getting a black eye, bruised ribs and some road rash. Anyways, I filed a civil complaint against the police officer and one year later I got a cash settlement and a ACD.

    I've been arrested 3 times for driving with a suspended license and my driving record is'nt the pretiest one.

    [B]My questions to you are as follows;

    1. Will the incident with the cop have an effect on me getting on the job?
    2. How can I clear my driving record?
    3. Will I pass the Character Investigation section on the hiring proccess.[/
    B]

  • #2
    I can hear Bodie putting his gear on right now, I'll duck
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

    For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not a police officer yet, but I'd honestly think you don't have much of a chance with 3 arrests. I mean you've only been driving since you were 16, right? So you're 22 now, and managed to get arrested 3 times within 6 years. I honestly can't imagine any department on earth hiring you.

      Comment


      • #4
        I's start looking for other employment. Myabe the military will pick you up, if they do, ride the wave for a while (5+ ys) and keep clean. When you get it done, you maybe in a better postion to be hired since you (hopefully) wnet straight edged.

        TGY
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BadCopNoDonut
          1. Will the incident with the cop have an effect on me getting on the job?
          Probably. At least with that agency. Actually your prior arrests will hinder your employment more than that. If the department settled, then that's implicating wrongdoing, so as long as you have a copy of their investigation. However, since you've been arrested not once, but 3 times, I seriously doubt you'd get employed.

          Originally posted by BadCopNoDonut
          2. How can I clear my driving record?
          Depends on the state.

          Originally posted by BadCopNoDonut
          3. Will I pass the Character Investigation section on the hiring proccess.[/[/U]B]
          In order to pass this with most agencies, it involves sitting down with a psychiatrist and answering many questions. You can't honestly expect a psychiatrist, let alone strangers on the internet, evaluate your character based on a paragraph.
          You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

          Comment


          • #6
            Nope...

            I doubt you can "clear" your driving record. You might be able to reduce some points by taking some sort of BMV couse but your past offenses will still show up.

            I don't think you have much chance of getting on-and with good reason. I wish I had a dime for every guy with a criminal record that asked me how they can get on the PD.

            This fine fellow can offer a few pointers
            Idiot Wanna Be

            Comment


            • #7
              [QUOTE=Centurion44]Probably. At least with that agency. Actually your prior arrests will hinder your employment more than that. If the department settled, then that's implicating wrongdoing, so as long as you have a copy of their investigation. However, since you've been arrested not once, but 3 times, I seriously doubt you'd get employed. [QUOTE=Centurion44]

              Absolute bull****. Just because an agency settles DOES NOT implicate wrongdoing. Agencies all over this damn country are settling their lawsuits, why? Because its a hell of alot cheaper than going to bat all the way for the officer. Its the lawsuit happy society we live in. If your a cop, you should know this.
              Last edited by 7mmMag; 07-13-2005, 05:34 AM.
              "I only had a couple!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 7mmMag
                Absolute bull****. Just because an agency settles DOES NOT implicate wrongdoing. Agencies all over this damn country are settling their lawsuits, why? Because its a hell of alot cheaper than going to bat all the way for the officer. Its the lawsuit happy society we live in. If your cop, you should know this.
                I don't disagree with you. But if I was sitting on a review board, the fact that the department was willing to settle the case outside of court would speak volumes to me personally. My point was that the 3 priors would damage the guys creditentials more than a lawsuit. And please, I'm getting sick of this "IF your an officer" crap. Just because I don't agree with everything every other officer belts out on these forums you try and question whether or not I'm an officer. IF YOU were a cop, you wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement.
                You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't pass judgement, thats the courts job.
                  "I only had a couple!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BadCopNoDonut
                    I've been arrested 3 times for driving with a suspended license and my driving record is'nt the pretiest one.

                    hmmmmmm.... You're 22 years old and have been arrested three times for driving while suspended? Why were you suspended? That will speak volumes. And why, if you wanted to be an officer when you grow up, would you continue to drive on a suspended license? And why, if you wanted to be an officer, do you not have the pretiest driving record?

                    And.... just because this is a pet peeve of mine.... Badcopnodonut is your user name? Sometimes I think if I hear one more bad cop no donut joke I'll lose it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      * Not a cop*


                      3 arrests at 22.....WTF ya thinking by still driving ya dumbass.

                      Jeez....my interviewer grilled the shiat out of me over 4 speeding tickets(1 not guilty in court) for not remembering the exact months and years and I'm 35yo. They would have a field day with you IMO
                      Just shut your damn hole




                      Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I can't believe no one else asked, but what was the situation with the cop? As far as the job, looks very bad that you were driving while suspended mulitple times. Shows a lack of respect for the law, which you are trying to get a job enforcing. I agree with the other people, keep it clean (really clean) for the next few years and get some time in between you and the negative history and you might, might have a chance.
                        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

                        "Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          jesus chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist! NOT ANOTHER ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by padowan
                            hmmmmmm.... You're 22 years old and have been arrested three times for driving while suspended? Why were you suspended? That will speak volumes. And why, if you wanted to be an officer when you grow up, would you continue to drive on a suspended license? And why, if you wanted to be an officer, do you not have the pretiest driving record?

                            And.... just because this is a pet peeve of mine.... Badcopnodonut is your user name? Sometimes I think if I hear one more bad cop no donut joke I'll lose it.
                            Well said.

                            Your 'tough situation' was self inflicted as to your LE aspirations.

                            You seem to lack maturity and judgement. You could be a "great guy" now but why would a PD appoint you over the countless other applicants who do not have your baggage? I'm not saying it's impossible down the road but it don't look good so far kid.
                            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jeffIL
                              I can't believe no one else asked, but what was the situation with the cop? As far as the job, looks very bad that you were driving while suspended mulitple times. Shows a lack of respect for the law, which you are trying to get a job enforcing. I agree with the other people, keep it clean (really clean) for the next few years and get some time in between you and the negative history and you might, might have a chance.
                              Multiple DL suspensions, just by it self, will DQ him.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5328 users online. 289 members and 5039 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X