300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for a new book/movie

I am working on a novel to become a screenplay, and need some detailed information. If you could help out it would be greatly appreciated. The scenario is: A married woman's husband dissapears. Her children, 11 and 14, are the last to see him. They spend the balance of that day at their father's, who is the woman's ex-husband, and a long standing rival of her new husband. 1. How would the investigation process play out? 2. How is the interrogation of children handled? 3. If the evidence is only circumstantial, how far could they push the ex-husband? 4. Would a suspect be forced to take a lie detector, and is it admissible in court? 5. Could/would they search the ex-husbands apartment?
    Just to give you a head's up on what really happened, in a fit of rage, the step-father of the two children follows them back to their father's apartment. The father is not home. The younger brother shoots and kills the step-father, protecting his older brother. Their father is left to clean up the mess. Thanks so much for the help.

Originally posted by paperback
    1. How would the investigation process play out?
    The answer is a 1 to 2 week class in investigations. It can't be summed up here. I suggest you talk to your local agency and see if you can interview an investigator or maybe sit in on an investigations class.
    Don't fret, I have yet to see a movie or book get it 100% right. I guess the truth doesn't make good entertainement.

2. How is the interrogation of children handled?
    See above.

3. If the evidence is only circumstantial, how far could they push the ex-husband?
    There is a police officer in GA who was tried and convicted of murder on circumstantial evidence. So, standard cop/lawyer answer: "It depends".

4. Would a suspect be forced to take a lie detector, and is it admissible in court?
    No and no.

5. Could/would they search the ex-husbands apartment?
    If they had enough probable cause to believe evidence of a crime was there, yes. The general rule is that if it's a murder investigation they'd probably get a search warrant if they couldn't get a consent search.

I appreciate your respect in our proffesion enough to try and get it right. However, there is rarely a simply answer in a murder case. My advise is again to sit in on your local academy or CJ class at your local college. There are also plenty of books on the subject.

The only author that came close to getting a police drama accurate, IMO, is Joseph Wambaugh and he spent 15 years in the business if that gives you any idea. Good luck in your endevors.
    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Just out of curiosity, when someone is writing a book about medicine, or some other specialty field, don't they HIRE someone to consult to help with accuracy, etc? I think it is great that so many LEOs here are helpful and kind, but lately there have been a ton of similar 'writing a book, need info' questions. I'm not saying it is bad to ask the LEOs here, I just find it interesting. Again, it says a lot about the class LEOs here, that these questions are answered at all.

Comment

Here is a case I thought would be a good making of a book or thriller movie! A mystery killer has been killing women...the suspect is a person whom every one knows and they all believe he is the killer,but they can never get a confession.Everything matches this individuals times when he was gone and when he was seen.He has even given some weird looks and said some very killer responces that put the finger on him,but still they have not been able to get him because of his alibies!
        This man is a master at figuring things out!He even worked for some very huge companies, it was not the law, it was an out of this world project.
        Ok!The story is the the investigators are sick of playing his game ,so they come up with this idea to spook him out! They hire some women who look and come very close to the ones he killed. Now the plot thickens.
        I call it:Returned from the grave!Only the familly and their relitives know whats going down.Towns people don't know anything about this either for fear they could pass the information to this man.
        so there will be some chilling reactions from a lot of people!
        Does that sound like something that could make an interesting movie or book?

Comment

a little more help please

I'm looking for the boiler plate investigative procedure. The most probable way this would play out. This project is in it's preliminary stages. I need to put something down on paper, a draft.If someone has this knowledge I would appreciate the help.

Comment

I'm looking for the boiler plate investigative procedure. The most probable way this would play out. This project is in it's preliminary stages. I need to put something down on paper, a draft.If someone has this knowledge I would appreciate the help.
            Whats in it for us?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5049 users online. 269 members and 4780 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X