300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Patrol?

I was just wondering what everyones opinion is on Bicycle Patrol. I only ask because our department just started a small Bike Patrol unit, and I ran across them last night and it doesn't look all too bad. They were able to sneak up on quite a few people. Any thoughts? (Obviously they would have to go back to motor patrol in some states during winter months)
    In Memoriam:
    Cpl. Chad Wayne Powell
    USMC
    Killed in Action
    Fallujah, Iraq
    June 23, 2005

Originally posted by CGPD4566
    I was just wondering what everyones opinion is on Bicycle Patrol. I only ask because our department just started a small Bike Patrol unit, and I ran across them last night and it doesn't look all too bad. They were able to sneak up on quite a few people. Any thoughts? (Obviously they would have to go back to motor patrol in some states during winter months)

Didn't you see Pacific Blue when that show was on USA Network.

I think bikes is great in a beach setting where the bike patrol could get to the scene in matter of min. and they can also as you said sneak up on them.

I bet bike patrol doesn't have any fat *** cops who are out of shape!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

http://www.ipmba.org

And yes my fat lazy *** gets out of the cruiser to ride a bike..

Ive been doing Bike patrol for a few years and throughly enjoy it. Used to patrol by the Anacostia river and Potomac rivers on a good summer day. Or at the naval academy by the water was alot of fun.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Bike patrol is also very effective in a congested urban setting. We use it in several parts of my jurisdiction. Its a great tool. I wish we had double the number of bikes.

Comment

I'm on a bicycle patrol. I think it's great! Yes, we get to sneak up on people and many business owners love seeing us out there patroling their parking lots.

And yes, during rush hour, i can probably get to some calls faster if I just use my bike.

Oh! And foot chases are great- just pedal behind them until they get tired of running.
          You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

The department I work for in a non-sworn capacity uses bike officers downtown. It gets very congested downtown due to the several bars, one-way streets and pedestrians there. Bicyles are perfect for that setting as the officers can get to a disturbance or call very quickly.
            Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
              Oh! And foot chases are great- just pedal behind them until they get tired of running.
              Don't they ever go in places you can't get to with your bike, though?

Comment

It's possible. Hasn't happened to me yet, though.

Comment

I wanted to be a K-9 officer, but I figured they were too in demand, so I'm looking possibly to a department with Bicycle Patrol, thats why I ask. I didn't see Pacific Blue, however. I'm glad I've only heard good things about it, it looks like it would be a blast.
                  In Memoriam:
                  Cpl. Chad Wayne Powell
                  USMC
                  Killed in Action
                  Fallujah, Iraq
                  June 23, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by savage4presiden
                    Don't they ever go in places you can't get to with your bike, though?
                    That's when you jump off your bike and do what u gotta do.

Comment

K9 isn't easy. Our dept started up K9 the same time as bike patrol A guy that got hired same time as me got one of the K9 slots. I have a newfound respect for those guys. It's easy to be a K9- very hard to be a good K9.

The IPMBA bicycle course isn't easy, however. We put many miles on our bikes that week. The hardest part for me was all the slow turn maneuvers you have to do- without coming off the seat and without putting your feet on the ground. I think the website still has some videos of some of the cone courses. Hard, but very rewarding. I was also blessed with good instructors.

Comment

Make sure the agency is large enough to utilize a bike patrol. My agency boasts that they have it, and technically we do, but it doens't get utilized except for special occasions (parades, etc) because we don't have the manpower. I think I've been able to get on a bike once a year since I've been employed there.

Comment

Originally posted by curlyblue
                          Make sure the agency is large enough to utilize a bike patrol. My agency boasts that they have it, and technically we do, but it doens't get utilized except for special occasions (parades, etc) because we don't have the manpower. I think I've been able to get on a bike once a year since I've been employed there.
                          Same thing here, except they get on the bike anyway during normal shifts. They get to pedal all around and talk to girls while I am going call to call.
                          Retired 02/01/13

Comment

It is just another great tool we have available to us. I am all for supporting a Mtn Bike unit for every department, no matter the size. Many of the Deputies in Montana carry Mtn Bikes on the back of their patrol car, then switch back and forth from bike to car depending on the situation.

Comment

I noticed a nearby city to me had bikes on the back of their cruisers. I think that's a good idea..although I'd be afraid of it falling off during a chase. I would LOVE to be a K-9 Officer but like I stated, most of the slots are chased by alot of candidates..so now I'm looking to bike patrol.
                              In Memoriam:
                              Cpl. Chad Wayne Powell
                              USMC
                              Killed in Action
                              Fallujah, Iraq
                              June 23, 2005

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6702 users online. 363 members and 6339 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X