300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, so I feel like I am screwed...

So I took my oral board on Thursday June 30th. I received a letter in the mail yesterday that said the dept was pleased to inform me that I passed the oral. That my name was placed on the eligability list and would be good for 6 months from the test date. It also said that I may be selected for a background and poly. It asked me to notify the dept of any address or phone number changes, and not to contact the dept in regards to my status as I would be notified every step of the way.

My question is, was this letter simply a way of saying to me "Thanks but no thanks"? Kind of a thanks for playing letter. I am nervous and I am afraid that I am only going to sit on the list until it expired in 6 months and then have to start over from square one. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well maybe you should apply to several places. I know people have been saying, it usually takes a couple of tries before something happens.

Comment

It doesnt sound like their blowin smoke up your ***. If they werent interested, they'd say so. However dont put all your eggs in 1 basket... Meaning, dont just sit and wait for them to call you. Apply to as many depts as possible. If they start running your background, then you'll have a better idea of what your chances are.

Its gonna take awhile to go through any process, so instead of waiting 6 months for a call, apply everywhere! Even out of state, if thats an option for ya.

Comment

The thing is that I am in Gilbert AZ and they are hiring like crazy right now. There were 5 open positions for the August acadamy and 19 more to be filled between now and the end of the year. So the process is taking only a few weeks at a time here. For example, I took the written on June 24th, the physical on the 25th and the oral on the 30th. The acadamy begins in August, they are moving really fast here...

Anyway I am starting the application process with other depts in the area, I have realized that I need to do that. I had previously excluded the idea of applying for Phoenix PD, but in light of this, I think I am going to apply there as well.

Comment

The rule about lists and selection differ from place to place. The thing is you never really know want the city or town is thinking. My advice, apply to as many jobs as you can and just hang tough.
          retired, NOT retarded

Comment

If it is regulated as it is in Illinois, you just have to wait. Here, when you are on the list, it is public and when they get to you, they get to you.
            For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by 4everYoung
              My question is, was this letter simply a way of saying to me "Thanks but no thanks"?
              It's defintely not a kiss-off letter. It's merely saying you passed so far and (based on your score) we'll get to you when it's your turn on the list, so don't bug us before then.

The big question is, where did you place on the hiring list? If there are five vacancies in the August academy and you are number 12 on the list, odds are they aren't going to get to you in time.

To get a ball park idea of when you may be hired, you need to find out where you are on the list and how many vacancies they anticipate over the next 12 months. Knowing this info can also tell you if you probably won't make it. For example, I know of someone who tested for a position and pased. The hiring list is good for two years. However, it turns out he is number 58 on a list of 83 and they only anticipate 18 vacancies per year. By the time the list expires they won't be much past number 36, so it's pretty obvious he won't get hired. He's now looking at other agencies.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Ah yes, I was young and impatient at one time myself. Do not think negatively, you passed everything so far for that PD. In the meantime you should keep busy and get your name out to other PD's while you're waiting. You'll be fine.
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
                  I know of someone who tested for a position and pased. The hiring list is good for two years. However, it turns out he is number 58 on a list of 83 and they only anticipate 18 vacancies per year. By the time the list expires they won't be much past number 36, so it's pretty obvious he won't get hired. He's now looking at other agencies.
                  That's not true at all really. If you factor in the amount of people who will not pass the background check, psych test, or polygraph if you have one, in addition to the ones who get hired somewhere else before they are called I'd say 53 out of 83 with 36 vacancies is a damn good shot.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everYoung
                    The thing is that I am in Gilbert AZ and they are hiring like crazy right now. There were 5 open positions for the August acadamy and 19 more to be filled between now and the end of the year. So the process is taking only a few weeks at a time here. For example, I took the written on June 24th, the physical on the 25th and the oral on the 30th. The acadamy begins in August, they are moving really fast here...

Anyway I am starting the application process with other depts in the area, I have realized that I need to do that. I had previously excluded the idea of applying for Phoenix PD, but in light of this, I think I am going to apply there as well.
                    Apply everywhere! Some agencies get an influx of graduates and need to space out their hiring of newbies with their hiring of experience so it may take longer for a newbie to get on somewhere. Get your name out there!

Comment

Originally posted by WTPD3534
                      That's not true at all really. If you factor in the amount of people who will not pass the background check, psych test, or polygraph if you have one, in addition to the ones who get hired somewhere else before they are called I'd say 53 out of 83 with 36 vacancies is a damn good shot.
                      Good observation!

Comment

Feel like I'm screwed

Sounds like you're in the running.

Comment

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I am taking the Tempe test on August 5th, the Mesa Test on August 23rd and looking into the Maricopa County Sheriff's test as well. I REALLY want Gilbert bad, I am keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7496 users online. 437 members and 7059 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X