300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court of appeals

In one of my ride alongs i was told about the court of appeals, and how some states have a 9th circut court of appeals, and i was told that Virginia has a 4th circut, i was trying my best to understand what i was being told, and from what i understood the lower the number of the circut for a state in the court of apeals effets what will happen if a complaint is filled against an officer, for example if someone were to attack a cop and the cop defended himself and in the process left a mark or injured the attacker if it happened in a state with a 4th circut then the courts would side with the officier, but if it happened in a state with a higher number of circut then the courts would side with the civilian attacker. I have a feeling that i missunderstood the officier, did i? If so could you all please explain this to me? Or am i completly mistaken and the Court of appeals effects an officier in no way?
    All citizens have the right to get up in the morning, go to work, come home, be with their families, and loved ones, and live their lives without being robbed, beaten, harmed, rapped etc.... and that right needs to be protected, that is why i am going to be a cop. To protect that right, it isnt about having power and authority or money. For a right such as the aformentioned I will put my life on the line to protect it.

I am Zeichnete Grau aka Big Z

The United States is broken down into Federal judicial districts by geographical area. If a lawsuit or criminal case is appealed past the Federal district (local) level, the appeal is heard in the US Circuit Court of Appeals for that judicial district. For example, an appeal from Boston would be the First Circuit, Los Angeles the Ninth Circuit, etc. Here is a map with links;

http://www.uscourts.gov/courtlinks/index.cfm

As a general rule, the Ninth Circuit tends to be the most liberal Court of Appeals, and therefore doesn't make too many decisions that are favorable to the police, which is probably how you were thinking of the higher court numbers.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Correction Delta, that would be the Ninth CIRCUS court.
      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

The 9th circut is a bit nuts. Siding with a crook because an officer defended himself & left a mark on the crook? I'm sorry, they are not that nuts. Most decisions handed down by the 9th circut are reversed anyway so they are little more than amusement. One 9th circut judge is married to the head of the ACLU in Ca which should tell you something.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
          . Most decisions handed down by the 9th circut are reversed anyway so they are little more than amusement. One 9th circut judge is married to the head of the ACLU in Ca which should tell you something.
          Stan,

In 2002 the 9th Circuit Court heard 5100 cases. Of these 5100 appeals, 24 were reviewed by the SC, and 18 reversed. That certainly doesn't equate to most are reversed.
          Retired

Comment

Originally posted by retired
            Stan,

In 2002 the 9th Circuit Court heard 5100 cases. Of these 5100 appeals, 24 were reviewed by the SC, and 18 reversed. That certainly doesn't equate to most are reversed.
            I should have said reviewed by the SC but neglected to do so. Thank you for clearing that up. Now that we have that straightened out, I'd say 18 out of 24 cases reversed is a fairly high rate.

Comment

There are two major components of the United States criminal justice system: the federal criminal courts and the state criminal courts. Both state and federal district trial courts are courts of original jurisdiction in that they function as
              No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

I should have said reviewed by the SC but neglected to do so. Thank you for clearing that up. Now that we have that straightened out, I'd say 18 out of 24 cases reversed is a fairly high rate.
                I'd agree that 18 out of 24 is high, but to only have 24 out of 5100 reviewed is very low. I'm not defending or accusing the court, just looking at the math.
                Retired

Comment

I'd agree that 18 out of 24 is high, but to only have 24 out of 5100 reviewed is very low. I'm not defending or accusing the court, just looking at the math.
                  Obviously the SC can only review a limited number of cases.

Comment

Obviously the SC can only review a limited number of cases.
                    That is true Stan. There are approximately 83,000 cases reviewed each year by the circuit courts throughout the nation. Usually the SC accepts about 186 of those case for review. Legal scholars claim that the SC is most likely to review cases that they think may have been decided wrongly.

The 9th ciruit court has a reversal ratio of 2.5 per 1,000, while the 7th circuit court with eight judges appointed by republicans, and three by democrats has virtually the same ratio.

When one looks at the math, the 9th isn't any worse than the rest of the circuit courts across the nation. They just happen to have the highest caseload.

And again, I'm not defending any of the rulings by any of the courts.
                    Retired

Comment

well you all answered my questions really well, thank you very much
                      All citizens have the right to get up in the morning, go to work, come home, be with their families, and loved ones, and live their lives without being robbed, beaten, harmed, rapped etc.... and that right needs to be protected, that is why i am going to be a cop. To protect that right, it isnt about having power and authority or money. For a right such as the aformentioned I will put my life on the line to protect it.

I am Zeichnete Grau aka Big Z

Comment

That is true Stan. There are approximately 83,000 cases reviewed each year by the circuit courts throughout the nation. Usually the SC accepts about 186 of those case for review. Legal scholars claim that the SC is most likely to review cases that they think may have been decided wrongly.

The 9th ciruit court has a reversal ratio of 2.5 per 1,000, while the 7th circuit court with eight judges appointed by republicans, and three by democrats has virtually the same ratio.

When one looks at the math, the 9th isn't any worse than the rest of the circuit courts across the nation. They just happen to have the highest caseload.

And again, I'm not defending any of the rulings by any of the courts.
                        It doesnt suprise me that you view the 9th circut as normal.

Comment

It doesnt suprise me that you view the 9th circut as normal.
                          I didn't make up the statistics, I am only the messenger. But you raise the question of why it doesn't it surprise you if I did think that the 9th was in line with the other courts? What makes you think that I agree with the rulings from the 9th? Did I once say that I agree with all of their rulings? Or is it because I don't necesarily agree with you and other leo's all of the time? Perhaps I am an independent thinker.
                          Retired

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5027 users online. 264 members and 4763 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X