300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salaries?

As a curious student interested in a career in law enforcement, there is a question I need to ask. I realize this may be a very sensitive subject, but it is also a very necessary one when considering a career. Does the average salary of a LEO provide enough for an entire family, or is additional income required?

Originally posted by Enzo2457
    As a curious student interested in a career in law enforcement, there is a question I need to ask. I realize this may be a very sensitive subject, but it is also a very necessary one when considering a career. Does the average salary of a LEO provide enough for an entire family, or is additional income required?

Check the the websites of the LEO agancies you want to apply for, most have their wages and benifits posted. Another good idea is to check out the MLS and local real estate info. One department may pay more than the next, but the commute and the cost housing may be through the roof.

Comment

You won't get rich and if you know how to budget you won't starve either. Go to http://policepay.net/ but bear in mind the cost of living in the different areas.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I myself have thought about this same issue, i know a copral, and i asked him how much he makes, and he said that when he used to just shoe horses, he made over seventy thousand a year, and i asked him what do you make now, i asked is it around thirty thousand, and he said "It isnt even that and i still shoe horses part time" well hearing this didnt deter me from wanting to be a cop, I have taken into consideration the possibility of side jobs, like moonlighting and providing security for stores, i have been told that if i have been through the police academy that is all the training i will need to provide security in off duty hours. This is definatly something to consider because i do want to have three or four kids and i dont want them to live in poverty. Of course i am told that pay veries according to area, but i would like to add a few questions for you fine officiers they are as follows:

1)I overheard one deputy in my county's pd talk about it being time for him to get the raise he was promised when he first joined that said if he worked with the department for a year he would get a raise, then the person talking to him said something about it takeing a year and a month and he needs to ask someone about it, did i hear them right? Do police departments offer a raise after you have been with them for so long? if so is it yearly?

2)Does money from tickets and confiscated drug money go to the police department? If so is any distributed to the officers who recovered the money or wrote the ticket?

3)who would make more, town cop, county unit, or state trooper?

thanks in advance for the answers
        Last edited by Zeichnete; 07-09-2005, 11:45 PM.
        All citizens have the right to get up in the morning, go to work, come home, be with their families, and loved ones, and live their lives without being robbed, beaten, harmed, rapped etc.... and that right needs to be protected, that is why i am going to be a cop. To protect that right, it isnt about having power and authority or money. For a right such as the aformentioned I will put my life on the line to protect it.

I am Zeichnete Grau aka Big Z

Comment

I agree with PKagel. I was a Deputy Sheriff in Louisiana. My monthly pay, before taxes, was $1500 a MONTH. Not enough to support a family. But, if you wanted to work for the San Fransisco PD, they pay almost $6000 a month. Still probably not enough to live on up there.
          If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an *** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

Originally posted by Zeichnete
            Do police departments offer a raise after you have been with them for so long? if so is it yearly?

Some do, some don't, if they do, get it in WRITING.

2)Does money from tickets and confiscated drug money go to the police department? If so is any distributed to the officers who recovered the money or wrote the ticket?

Seized money goes to the jurisdiction, but is not distributed to the officers.
            Money from tickets depends on how the ticket is written, if there is a local ordinance covering the offense and it is written under the local code then it goes to the locality, if not it goes to the state. Officers do not get any return for seizures or fines (but if you get enough there's always that toaster.)

3)who would make more, town cop, county unit, or state trooper?

Depends on the jurisdiction.
            hope that helps

-web
            "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Depends on the dept but most have a step program. Here is an example.

Recruit 1500/mo
              Probation 1600/mo
              Step 1 1700/mo
              Step 2 1750/mo
              Step 3 1900/mo

Yearly raises are determined by the contract and that depends on the city counsel.

You can also get shift differential pay, ie 10% extra for working the mid shift.

They also have other pays like language pay, K9, FTO, SWAT, ect.

1)Do police departments offer a raise after you have been with them for so long? if so is it yearly?
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

can you work overtime as a cop?
                All citizens have the right to get up in the morning, go to work, come home, be with their families, and loved ones, and live their lives without being robbed, beaten, harmed, rapped etc.... and that right needs to be protected, that is why i am going to be a cop. To protect that right, it isnt about having power and authority or money. For a right such as the aformentioned I will put my life on the line to protect it.

Comment

Yes, how much depends on many variables though.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                    Yes, how much depends on many variables though.
                    when you say how much, are you talking about hours or pay?

Comment

OT varies depending on what is going on in town, how many officers you have, if you have senority enough and don't get bumped, ect, ect. OT pay is standard, 1.5X unless your union has worked something out differently. What you never want to do is depend on OT to pay your bills. Think of it as found money and sock it away in the bank. If you depend on it then you will sooner or later be hurting. I knew a guy who went out on disability and he nearly lost his house because of the loss of OT pay.

Comment

We don't make a lot of money, but the job is fun as hell. I made 60k in 2004, 58K in 2003, and 52K in 2001. So the number keeps going. The real pay is when you retired. 3% at 50 is a hell of a retirement. Imagine working 30 years in LE and then retiring at 90% of your pay. You won't get that in any other profession.

Think of the training, camraderie, toys, and a life time of memories. What's that worth to you? Now, if your an accountant, lawyer, dr etc.... you think you'll remember your job when you retire. Imagine sitting around a camp fire with a bunch of your buddies...."Hey remeber the time when I saved client #A and #B, 25,000 thousand dollars during the 2008 tax season." Come on.... Now if you were a cop....oH, man, the stories can go on all night. A dura flame log (4 hours) would burn out before you finish with all of your memories..... Thats my input. "Never go into a career for the money," go into it for the passion and love. The money will follow. I have friends who are dr's, lawyers, accountant, etc.... they all make over 100k a year,, but they all hate their jobs.....

www.howtobecomeapoliceofficer.com
                        Good Luck and Test Well!
                        Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
                        6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

when you say how much, are you talking about hours or pay?
                          We can take it either way. For court no matter how long we stay we can take either 4 hours of pay or 6 hours of time. 98% of the time it is less than 2 hours. It's a drag to go downtown, find a spot in the garage, go up to the 12th floor to get your parking permit stamped, go get a blue slip, go back downstairs where there are 250 thugs and you can feel their eyes on your gun, get the blue slip signed, Go back upstairs to turn the blue slip in, then leave and fight noon traffic.

It's sad to say, but they could take anyone's gun there are so many of them and so few of us down there. I hate going there.

Comment

Originally posted by wayno1806

Think of the training, camraderie, toys, and a life time of memories. What's that worth to you? Now, if your an accountant, lawyer, dr etc.... you think you'll remember your job when you retire. Imagine sitting around a camp fire with a bunch of your buddies...."Hey remeber the time when I saved client #A and #B, 25,000 thousand dollars during the 2008 tax season." Come on.... Now if you were a cop....oH, man, the stories can go on all night. A dura flame log (4 hours) would burn out before you finish with all of your memories..... Thats my input. "Never go into a career for the money," go into it for the passion and love. The money will follow. I have friends who are dr's, lawyers, accountant, etc.... they all make over 100k a year,, but they all hate their jobs.....
                            well it is my passion, most definatly, and it is what i really wanna do, i mean i knew i really would love it when i had a great time riding around with a copral on a night when no arrest were made. Your also right about stories, i have only ridden around for about 13 hours, but i have a few stories myself, like the drunk that was beaten on doors, or the time a vehicle that was owned by a man that pulled a gun on a cop was pulled over and it turned out to be a different person behind the wheel, or the time we waited in front of a garage at night with lights off and waited for kids to come out of a graduation party and run the stop sign and then as it happened some kids going to the party turned to soon and turned into the parking lot and saw us and they immediatly told everyone that cops where there and before you know it car after car came out from that party it was unbelievable and funny how quick a highschool party breaks up when word spreads that a police officer is in the area, or the time when i was just outside the police car stretching and two other police where talking outside the car and then BANG gunshots were fired and one of the officiers saw a car quickly turn around in a feild and then we had to run back into the car and take off. It is interesting those are some of the stories that i have to tell after only 13 hours of ridding with a cop, so just think of the stories i could tell after i become one. I was told in my first ride along, "This job is 90% bordom and 10% adrinalin" and man that 10% adrinilian is what you live for, cause in an instant it can all change, i know, cause here we were just ridding along talking then the copral gets a call and then lights and siren goes on and we go flying down the road. you see i dont care about the 90% bordom part and i wont mind doing the paper work, I know that police work is what i want to do, and it is not for money(just read my sig).

also i am reminded of something my older bro told me, "Do a job you love, and you will never work a day in your life" That means if it is a job you love, it wont feel like work to you.
                            Last edited by Zeichnete; 07-10-2005, 01:20 AM.

Comment

In our area it takes two incomes to make it even at avg $50,000 for Central Ohio Officers

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3910 users online. 248 members and 3662 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X