300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing Confidence

My question is in regards to applying for a postion. The short of this is in 1997 to be a military cop,I enlisted in the USAF and was discharged in 2000. At the time I left the military I received a UOTHC or "under other than honorable condition" which is admisistrative and not punitive like a bad conduct or dishonorable. (I refused to take an anthrax vaccine which at that time was manditory.)Since then time I have worked at the same college as a security officer and tested like mad to get on a PD. Even after checking with human resources proir to applying, and getting the ok, I have missed out time again due to this. An upgrade is costly and I have been working on that too. Can anyone offer me some advise on this, or know of a dept that would be understanding of this issue? Any help appreciated.

Originally posted by ROG
    My question is in regards to applying for a postion. The short of this is in 1997 to be a military cop,I enlisted in the USAF and was discharged in 2000. At the time I left the military I received a UOTHC or "under other than honorable condition" which is admisistrative and not punitive like a bad conduct or dishonorable. (I refused to take an anthrax vaccine which at that time was manditory.)Since then time I have worked at the same college as a security officer and tested like mad to get on a PD. Even after checking with human resources proir to applying, and getting the ok, I have missed out time again due to this. An upgrade is costly and I have been working on that too. Can anyone offer me some advise on this, or know of a dept that would be understanding of this issue? Any help appreciated.
    Just curious, but why would you refuse an anthrax vaccine?

Comment

Originally posted by Conner
      Just curious, but why would you refuse an anthrax vaccine?
      There was considerable debate as to the safety and efficacy of the vaccine.
      I believe all the empirical studies ultimately validated the vaccine though.

Here is one link . I'm sure google can turn up plenty of other stories.

Besides, the shot hurts like a bitch.
      I know I should feed the trolls but it is just SO hard.

Comment

Pretty much every police department requires an honorable discharge. So if I were you I would be writing my congressman like crazy to try and get you discharge changed.

Comment

Your situation comes down to one thing; and it would take a desperate PD to touch it witha ten-foot pole- you refused to obey a lawful order. Even the small (by SoCal standards) agency I work for wanted my original, dated DD214. The first thing they looked at was my name and SSN. The next was the date. And finally the re-enlistment code. No matter who you write, the date on the "new" DD214 will not be the date you were originally discharged. It will have your service dates, but not the date of the document. And your re-enlistment code will not be "re1a," which is the only re-enlistment code that would allow you to get backinto the military. This is the true indicator of your military service.

A city or county human resources department will not care as long as you don't have a dishonorable, but the background investigator who actually recommends you for hire will.

But Good Luck.
          If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an *** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

you can try the military record corrections board, depending on what you have accomplished since your being discharged you can ask for a discharge upgrade based on clemency.
            Last edited by da moose; 07-12-2005, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Possible - but not probable

I speak from experience in the Navy, but all should follow the same rules...You can try to have your discharge upgraded, but would have to show a very good reason why. Can't tellyou how many "non-Honorable" discharges I've processed in over 21 years of active duty, but I can tell you that not a single one was ever upgraded.

I'm not going to debate the validity (or lack of) of the whole anthrax shot order, but it all comes down to one thing - if an order was given to take the shot, and you refused, then I see no grounds for an upgrade. While I admire (to some degree) you sticking to your guns, I think you didn't pick and choose your battles very carefully.

Best of luck.
              Ken
              I must go down to the seas again to the vagrant gypsy life, To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife; And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover, and quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Comment

I know a couple guys who were discharged UOTHC and still managed to get hired. I guess it depends on what you did, i think its safe to say if you were popped on a **** test you have a snowballs chance in hell of getting hired.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4661 users online. 255 members and 4406 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X