300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should i do...

Well I am going to be a junior in high school in Georgia. I am seriously thinking about becoming a cop. I was wondering what I should do college wise. I was thinking about going to Columbus State Community College which is very close to where my mom live in Ohio. I was also wondering, does it really matter what degree you have when applying to get into a police academy or applying for a police officer position?
    Houston, we have a problem

Originally posted by curiousstudent
    Well I am going to be a junior in high school in Georgia. I am seriously thinking about becoming a cop. I was wondering what I should do college wise. I was thinking about going to Columbus State Community College which is very close to where my mom live in Ohio. I was also wondering, does it really matter what degree you have when applying to get into a police academy or applying for a police officer position?

College is a good idea. Though it really doesn't matter what degree you have when you apply for a law enforcement agency, a degree in Criminal Justice will be beneficial.

Also military experience is also looked upon highly. Your 17 and should get some life experience behind you, before applying to a department. Look at applying to a department around 24, or so.

That will give you a chance to see things and to mature a bit, before getting out on the streets.

Good luck.

Comment

This has been much discussed elsewhere here. All I will say is:

Choose wisely.......
      I know I should feed the trolls but it is just SO hard.

Comment

Wow, when I was 17, the only thing I thought about were waves (california boy) and girls. Kudo's to you for thinking ahead. And since your on that track here is my 2cent:

Education: vip
        background: keep a clean background
        drugs: say no
        credit and money: live within your means, and stay away from credit card debt.
        work experience and people skills: work on it...

Since you've decided you want to become a cop at the tender age of 17, start living your life like one. don't get caught up in something that you may regret. The background and oral process are the two toughest obstacle you will need to overcome. Don't study CJ in college..... study business, accounting, or foreign language, or any field that may interest you.

All the CJ you will need in regards to police work will be taught to you in the academy. Trust me on this. If you want to, you can minor in CJ and that will give you a head start. Good luck with your law enforcement journey.

www.****************************
        Good Luck and Test Well!
        Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
        6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

A lot of good officers teach at Columbus State but the degree you receive there will only benefit you if you are close to age 21 and can be a cop in Ohio since it includes a Ohio Peace Officer Training Certificate.

You at 18 should try a couple of years in the military. Ohio Police jobs especially those in the area served by Columbus State are highly sought after with 250 to more then 300 applicants for 1 job.

Those chosen are 21 with a BS Degree and not neccessarily in CJ. Have a clean criminal record and perfect driving record and are in great physical condition at time of hire. This is because these jobs make 50K a yr now plus benefits. You won't get past hire with just the 2 yr degree at Columbus State but it may get you hired at age 21 but you need a Bachelors degree to get past patrol officer.

I teach / I hire / I know

Comment

Originally posted by wayno1806
            Don't study CJ in college..... study business, accounting, or foreign language, or any field that may interest you.
            Including, of course, Criminal Justice. Don't believe the foolishness that some here will post about a CJ degree being worthless for police work. If it interests you, by all means study CJ, it will prove very beneficial in your police career.
            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Crimunal Justice as a minor

Comment

Dayuum, here goes another one.

Comment

i go to columbus state and it is awesome. lapd and houston recruit from columbus state. make sure you take achademy track

Comment

Originally posted by toni_tk
                    Dayuum, here goes another one.
                    wat are you talkin about?
                    Houston, we have a problem

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4247 users online. 241 members and 4006 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X